all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bear wrestling

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I was just pondering to myself today about bear wrestling. Pavel has mentioned it before in his books. So I was thinking, what in the Hel would prepare you for that endeavor? Some swings, tgu's, and a little vodka?

I would suggest waiting until you can work with a 32kg comfortably before you look for a bear... and maybe more than a little vodka :)

Hello,

S&S may fit the "Bear Wrestling" definition !

To a certain extent, I would say that a grind + ballistic combination is one of the right definition

Kind regards,

Pet'

In order to (succesfully!) wrestle bear, you have to be:

squatting 400lbs for 20 reps
deadlifting 400 lbs for 15 reps
curling 200 for 10 reps
pressing 200 for 10 reps
dipping with 300 lbs 10 reps
chinning with 100 pounds 10 reps

Hello,

Pretty tough complex ! This is a pity that it is a bit taxing and can not be done on a regular basis (such as S&S) without dipping into recovery.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Pretty tough complex ! This is a pity that it is a bit taxing and can not be done on a regular basis (such as S&S) without dipping into recovery.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Haha, as a complex that would be tough yes.

But I meant it only as a list of requirements.

Only complex one would need to wrestle bear is Bear, but Russian Bear!

I just saw a patient today who actually used to do this with grizzly bears as stunt work. Seemed like a pretty tough dude

You should work on your sprinting speed so you can keep out of the bear's reach. Goad it and run away repeatedly while it tires. After a couple hours, it might collapse from exhaustion. (Incidentally, bears can sprint about 35 mph; Usain Bolt sprints at about 27 mph, so good luck with that).

Grizzly Bears are a real threat here it the Canadian Rockies. You need to follow safe bear protocols while enjoying the mountains. Wear a Bear Bell, keep pets on leash, carry bear spray and bear banger at the ready, keep food and trash away from camp, and do not go out alone. If you startle a Grizzly with cubs, a starving or injured bear, or feeding in late fall for hibernation, and you become a threat there is nothing you can do. The protocol is to raise your arms above your head, make lots of noise, and back away from the area. If it charges you are pretty much done, a few people get attacked in the mountain parks every year, some die. I have seen bears, but thankfully have never had issues. You have to be smart about where you travel at certain times of the year.

We also have Grey Wolves, and Cougars which are dangerous also. When venturing onto the trails and into the backcountry you move a few notches down the food chain. It does make it strangely more enjoyable though. I love the Mountains.

Like the saying goes, "I don't need to run faster than the bear, I just need to run faster than you." Lol

Wear a Bear Bell, keep pets on leash, carry bear spray

reminds me of this:

yhst-94387763560218_2268_641324963

reminds me of this:

yhst-94387763560218_2268_641324963

Yeah if a bear wants you, you will be Bear scat on the trail. The bell is a certain frequency so bears associate the sound with humans and hopefully avoid us. It is not just any old Christmas Bell. The other deterrents are to help instill a fear of humans for the humans and bears safety. Bears that association humans with food are problem Bears that will be euthanized.

The problem in our mountain parks, Banff, Glacier, Yoho, etc., are international tourist destinations. The tourists feed and interact with bears, on purpose and inadvertently, resulting in Bear human interactions which end badly for both.

Last edited:
Geoff is right.
Bear encounters are no joke. They often times end bad for either or both of the parties involved.

Apologies for a bad joke, in no way I meant to take the threats to both humans and bears lightly!

Apologies for a bad joke, in no way I meant to take the threats to both humans and bears lightly!

No offence. It is funny and I subsistence hunted and fished because we had too. I also have a lot of respect for animals, and try to educate about Grizzlys and our amazing Southern Canadian Rocky National Parks because they need it. Their is a Push to expand human access in the Parks which is good and bad.

If anyone ever gets a chance to come to Kananaskis, Banff, Canmore, Jasper, or Lake Louise, Alberta Canada and spend some time away from town in our back country you would understand. I am passionate about what we have and support the education our Parks Service does.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom