all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beast Tamer Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mark DiRugeris

Level 4 Valued Member
Trying to find some good programming advice to complete the Beast Tamer. I have finished Simple and Sinister, I have 6 years experience with kettlebells and need a new challenge. I finished kettlebell muscle as well.
I have a 48kg bell at home, but my gym has bells up to 28kg. I’m better when I’m organized and following a program. And would love to work towards getting that done. I do pistols here and there, but Pullups and presses I do regularly, as well as 100-200 swings daily with the 48kg bell.
Let me know where I should look or if anyone has suggestions. Appreciated!

I was thinking about this too. I’d like to do achieve it. Found the above article yesterday. Don’t know if it’s something I’d follow (not saying it’s bad, I just don’t think it’s my style) but I’d certainly draw inspiration from it.

personally, for something like that, I’d do the exercises required heavy. Normal strength programming and then do a tonne of accessory mobility/stability work.
I think I’d look at HSPU, heavy KB press and moderate weight military press plus tris and shoulder prehab for the press.
Similar stuff for the other two moves.

Trying to find some good programming advice to complete the Beast Tamer. I have finished Simple and Sinister, I have 6 years experience with kettlebells and need a new challenge. I finished kettlebell muscle as well.
I have a 48kg bell at home, but my gym has bells up to 28kg. I’m better when I’m organized and following a program. And would love to work towards getting that done. I do pistols here and there, but Pullups and presses I do regularly, as well as 100-200 swings daily with the 48kg bell.
Let me know where I should look or if anyone has suggestions. Appreciated!
I’m not a beast tamer, and I don’t have this book, but Andrew Read has influenced my training and in general I like his thought process, so it might be worth checking out.

Amazon product ASIN 093804589X

I’m not a beast tamer, and I don’t have this book, but Andrew Read has influenced my training and in general I like his thought process, so it might be worth checking out.
I'm a huge fan of Andrews Reads, and I have a huge amount of respect for his work, but I was disappointed by Beast Tamer (I ended up permanently deleting it from my kindle library).

I can do the Beast Pistol (thanks to years of GTG), but I am not close to the Press and Pull-up goals. I'm on ROP right now, which should theoretically deliver a Beast Press and Pull-up someday.

I'm a huge fan of Andrews Reads, and I have a huge amount of respect for his work, but I was disappointed by Beast Tamer (I ended up permanently deleting it from my kindle library).

I can do the Beast Pistol (thanks to years of GTG), but I am not close to the Press and Pull-up goals. I'm on ROP right now, which should theoretically deliver a Beast Press and Pull-up someday.
Disappointing but good to know.

IMHO SSDT2 by Fabio Zonin is a good template for a progressive Plan towards the Beast Tamer:

From the article:
"As you might be aware, the Iron Maiden Challenge consists in three events, the pistol, the military press, and the weighted pullup, all performed for one rep with a 24kg kettlebell. So, a squat, a press, and a pull…hmmm… As I finalized the plan for Kateřina I realized that its foundations, as far as for template and algorithm, would be a perfect fit for the sequel of the “Simple Strength for Difficult Times”"

I have done SSDT1 and SSDT2 back to back with the KB Press, Pullup, and Pistol and enjoyed the process and made good improvements so far. I think the beauty of SSDT2 is that you can vary the exercises and adjust the program to the weights you have at hand. Also, i think the planned deload and testing weeks makes it a perfect match for a long-term approach.

Kind regards and Power and Health to you!

All awesome replies..

Can you already press the 48kg??

If you have access to a barbell how much can you overhead press?

Where are you at in your pistol and pullups?

All awesome replies..

Can you already press the 48kg??

If you have access to a barbell how much can you overhead press?

Where are you at in your pistol and pullups?
I cannot. Not yet anyway. I can press 32kg 2-3 times. Pullups I can do 4-5 with a 16kg attached. Pistols are my worst. I am a little new to them and starting on a box, getting balance, etc.

I cannot. Not yet anyway. I can press 32kg 2-3 times. Pullups I can do 4-5 with a 16kg attached. Pistols are my worst. I am a little new to them and starting on a box, getting balance, etc.
Okay. First do soju & tuba press with 32kg, superset presses with pull ups. After those 6 weeks, do rite of passage, work your pistol on variety days. After that reach out and let's check where you are. Propably you are pretty close to pressing 48kg after that rop cycle. Then I think we need to think about those weighted pull ups...
If you are not interested about doing rop. I actually wrote program few months ago for improving press and pull up. It made my 7rm bell 10rm bell and my pull ups went from 5 to 7. Pretty quick sessions.
So kinda easy strength solution.

If you are interested about that program I can send you link to that program. It's on kindle so I don't share it here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom