all posts post new thread

Old Forum Beast Tamer?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

seanicus

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys, i know alot of you are from the RKC, was just wondering if you knew when in the certification the beast challenge was?  Good to know if its at the start when your fresh or at the end when your exhausted :/

thanks

I don't know if it's always done at the same time during the weekend, but I did the challenge immediately following lunch on the first day.

Yes, usually it's right after lunch the first day.

I did it in Hungary at my level 2 in 2010, and I was late, so right after I did it everybody got punished by my fault :p

Normally it is after lunch on day 1 :) best of luck in your training and welcome.

Anyone have advise on trainingto be a Beast Tamer. Stuck on the 44kg for press and the 32 for the pullup and pistol.

Hi <a title="View rboci@aol.com's profile" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/forums/users/rbociaol-com/">rboci@aol.com</a>  I am a recent Beast Tamer (Sept 2012) and there are many different plans from people a lot stronger than I, but here is a sample of how I prepared:

Session 1  10 minutes mobility and gymnastics skills;  8 min TGU w/ 48 K, 3x 5 Pullup BW+ 32kg, 20 minutes EDT  24kg 1 arm MP +  40 Kg SLDL.
Session 210 minutes Mobility and gymnastics; Complex (Swing+Snatch+Press+FS)*3R x 3 sets 2x32kg, Rest 10 min., Loaded cleans w/ 48KG
Session 3  Mobility, 44KG 1 arm MP 5x 2/2...I stacked 32+12 to challenge my sticking point.  Finished with pistols  3x3/3 x 32kg

I started that program about 8 weeks before the Beast Tamer Challenge and tested my max every couple of weeks.  Most of my conditioning came from being a grappling dummy for my friends who were preparing for tournaments to the tune of 2-3 10 minute rounds 2x/week,  so I didn't do any extra swings.  I didn't do a ton of pullups because that exercise is a stronger drill for me.

I'd like to hear about how you are doing.

As Prentiss has stated - Everyone approaches their training plan a bit different for the challenge and many plans have helped us achieve this goal. The BEST plan is one you will stick with.

My plan was fairly simple, similar to Easy Strength.  I just finish designing a plan for another gentleman who has the same goal, if you are interested in distance coaching/ program design please contact me.

Prentiss, first of all, congratulations! - that's quite an achievement!

I have a few questions about your training - not because I'm after the same challenge, just curious.   First of all, there is a lot of cardio or quasi-cardio in there - EDT, a swing/snatch/press complex.  Did you include these things for hypertrophy, for strength-endurance, just because you like them, to help with martials arts - I'm curious as to your reasoning only because they wouldn't be things I'd think of when pursuing a pure strength goal like the 48 kg Press/Pullup/Pistol.

Second, do I read correctly that you were doing the complex with double 32's?  If  that's true, I'm all the more impressed with your achievements - and very glad you're on our side. :)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-S-

Steve- I  used the 24 kg MP + 40 KG SLDL EDT session for strength endurance and hypertrophy.   Due to the martial arts practice, I broke a couple of rules and trained for many things at once.

Yes, I did practice that complex with double 32kg for 3 reps each exercise and I don't have my log in front of me but I only worked up to 3 sets...Way out of the realm of Geoff Neupert.  I wanted to be explosive and also get the body used to handling 64 kg which is why I put that in there.

In that third session, I practiced specifically for the press and the pistol which were my weakest lifts.

By the end of that cycle, I lost only a bit of conditioning but I was much stronger and not fatigued.

Hoped that answered it and I'm glad to be around so many great coaches

Thanks, yes, now I understand.  One more question if you don't mind - why SLDL?  You're doing it contralaterally, I assume (right hand with left leg and versa vice).  That's a wonderful exercise but I've never "worked" it, just used it as a "check", IOW, I like to make sure I can do it and thus revisit it every few months for as long as I might need to get the groove back (which lately means I don't do it much at all because I seem to have honed the groove enough to keep it whether or not I practice it.)  I do this one with a 24 usually for 2-3 reps each side.

-S-

Steve - I also used SLDL (heavy) during my training program for the IM. Really enjoy them and feel they are great for working stability and strength. I work them very slow to not miss any sticking points.

Steve - I'll echo what Karen said about stability, strength and sticking points.  Also with martial arts practice and sparring, pattern dominance plays a big role.  I am a lefty and do a lot of driving and sweeping off of my right leg.  That SLDL helped with maintaining symmetry and I can do more work with it than I can with pistols.  Eventually by the end of the cycle, I worked up to relatively heavy triples.

Karen and Prentiss, thank you both - I will be incorporating more single-leg deadlifts into my week.  I have done them with a 32 which is just under 50% bw for me - I will try to keep them heavy and the volume light and do them on my variety days in my otherwise PL-focused training.

Thank you both again.

-S-

I became a fellow Beast Tamer along with Prentiss @ the RKC in September. I am Currently working towards a DOUBLE Beast Tamer. I am working on writing about the process as I go along  (I have found out how much I suck at writing) and I have also been filming clips of my recent training which you can view on my youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/throwfar32

Here is my progress so far:

Pul up: BW+136 lbs (sorry no vid yet)

Pistol: 2x36 kg (just missed 2x40kg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddDjRQ3f8gQ

Press(2bells/2hands): 2x48kg for 2 reps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQiSEUN1iI&feature=share&list=UUH72PwWclJkH6CdMV_SW9sw

Press(2bells/1hand): Stacked Kettlebell Press (106+25+131lbs) Right Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPbT9xI1nQ&feature=share&list=UUH72PwWclJkH6CdMV_SW9sw

keep picking up heavy stuff

#cultivateyourstrength

Do we have an updated list on Beast Tamers? How many have completed this challange?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom