all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Becoming athletic and less fat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you eat mostly Whole Foods from plants, no extracts or concentrates (oil, added sugar, flour products), there is zero need to get used to being hungry. I eat 3 bigs/day and if hungry between those, a bit "extra". But I let my body tell me what it wants. The trick is to avoid the artificially flavor enhance, calorie enriched, nutrient sparse, crap served up by industrial food corporations. If you look at old photos from 100 years ago you just don't see many obese people, or even overweight. And there was very little cardiovascular disease then.

If you eat mostly Whole Foods from plants, no extracts or concentrates (oil, added sugar, flour products), there is zero need to get used to being hungry. I eat 3 bigs/day and if hungry between those, a bit "extra". But I let my body tell me what it wants. The trick is to avoid the artificially flavor enhance, calorie enriched, nutrient sparse, crap served up by industrial food corporations. If you look at old photos from 100 years ago you just don't see many obese people, or even overweight. And there was very little cardiovascular disease then.

What does your average day look like following these principles?

Personally when looking at the meta analysis out there on diets, low fat, higher carbs or low carbs higher fat are equally efficacy when protein and calories are matched.

Does a diet 'work' if you gain the weight back? I don't think so, as such find one that you're are happy to stick with long term, same for training really.

Three key things which most can agree on for weight loss regardless of your preference
* sleep
* water
*walking

Get those basics in place (I. E plenty of all three) and your on a solid base.

Find a diet your happy to commit to which causes a calorie deficit and most importantly - Be consistent!

What does your average day look like following these principles?
Work out fasted in the morning, last meal about 4 pm.

Breakfast: pea protein or grass fed collagen and piece of fruit post work out while prepping the rest. Water sauté about 4 cups of mixed, chopped veg with curry powder, add 1 cup already cooked beans, and 1/4 cup of nuts/seeds. Dessert is another piece of fruit
Lunch: similar sauté mix to breakfast with varied veg and varied spices
Dinner: 1 ½ cups or so rolled oats or 1 cup rye, or gamut berries, boiled with chopped fruit added after cooking. After cooking the grain comes to well over 2 cups

Macros come out around 2000 calories (I'm only 5'3" and 115 lbs so YMMV).
protein = 90 grams
net carbs (minus fiber) = 230 grams
fat = 42 grams
fiber = 80 grams

I take a low dose multi vitamin/mineral to fill in any gaps, fish oil, and Vitamins D3 and K2

Last edited:
Personally when looking at the meta analysis out there on diets, low fat, higher carbs or low carbs higher fat are equally efficacy when protein and calories are matched.

Does a diet 'work' if you gain the weight back? I don't think so, as such find one that you're are happy to stick with long term, same for training really.
Yes! Back to Dan John's "Eat like a grownup".

....*and* you have to eat to grow and recover from training. It's such a fine line.

Trying to build muscle and cut fat at the same time is such a tightrope walk. People definitely do it, but I think you have to be pretty militant about tracking macros and the like to pull that off. For most of us - definitely for me - it's probably more realistic to just pick one or the other.

The last few months I've been in the mode of trying to drop weight, and just being OK with marginal strength improvement - trying to keep the lifting "easy". At a bare minimum that results in improved relative strength - my pullups have made really good improvement over the last couple months, and I'm sure that's mostly due to shedding a few pounds as opposed to a stronger pull.

Trying to build muscle and cut fat at the same time is such a tightrope walk. People definitely do it, but I think you have to be pretty militant about tracking macros and the like to pull that off.

Yes, pre-competition, I'm militant -- everything gets weighed and entered into MyFitnessPal

At that level of precision, I can do it for about 6 weeks.

The rest of the time, I just use the info on packages, generic info (1 medium onion), or eyeball it on cheat days.

Macros come out around 2000 calories (I'm only 5'3" and 115 lbs so YMMV).

I have to admit, this surprised me.

I thought it would be much fewer calories.

For relative comparison, my lean body mass is ~170 lbs (5'11") and my BMR is 1957 calories (last tested).

(1) I like deadlift at first to make you stronger, then introduce you to the kettlebell swing. I do think SnS is great programs, but people tend to just think about 10x10 swing and 10 get up. Beginners can have a great progress with just practicing the swing and the get up, like doing hip hinge, kettlebell deadlift, kettlebell throw back, kettlebell dead swing...But you really need to focus to the detail, and sometime it is hard for beginner to do that, which lead to...
(2) ...if you have money to spend, invest in a (great) trainer.(s) He could help you a lot with the technique, (s)He could give you cue to fixing your form, and each trainer has some special magic that the book doesn't have :D Not to mention, (s)he could help you so much with choosing your goal, helping you to change your lifestyle - which is important if you want to change the way you look.

I have to admit, this surprised me.

I thought it would be much fewer calories.

For relative comparison, my lean body mass is ~170 lbs (5'11") and my BMR is 1957 calories (last tested).
2 thoughts: Little monkeys jump around and burn a lot of calories. Also, carb calories don't store nearly as easily as fat calories. I suspect if my diet was higher in fat I'd need to eat fewer of them

Huh?

I'm willing to concede that for protein, given the thermic effect of food, but where are you getting that idea?
True. Big difference between fibrous and non fibrous carb calories too.
Robb Wolf dives DEEP into this. Mark Bell, Dom D’augustino and Shawn baker too.
Anyone else feel like an amateur biochemist just from neurotic paleo/keto/carnivore podcast binging?
I’ll drive low carb keto home forever until I notice performance issues or inability to gain muscle. A lot of these guys noticed that doing low carb/keto the reason they were getting smoked during training ended up being electrolyte issues. I’ve been adding salt to my water in the am. Am I a shill for the carnivore/keto industry? Who’s to say...

True. Big difference between fibrous and non fibrous carb calories too.
Robb Wolf dives DEEP into this. Mark Bell, Dom D’augustino and Shawn baker too.
Anyone else feel like an amateur biochemist just from neurotic paleo/keto/carnivore podcast binging?
I’ll drive low carb keto home forever until I notice performance issues or inability to gain muscle. A lot of these guys noticed that doing low carb/keto the reason they were getting smoked during training ended up being electrolyte issues. I’ve been adding salt to my water in the am. Am I a shill for the carnivore/keto industry? Who’s to say...

I can do low neurological impact, low intensity / high rep resistance training when in ketosis no problem. Basically bodybuilding pump stuff.

But explosive, neurologically demanding things like barbell snatches.....pfffft......suck city.

Excess calories consumed as fat can and will go straight to storage in adipose tissue while excess carb calories must first be converted to fat before being stored (once glycogen is maxed out). That conversion takes some energy so that's lost. The. difference is not trivial. Old article but I doubt metabolism has changed much since 1993 ;)

Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage

That doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

All that's telling you is that carbs get burnt first as a preferential fuel source, as well as prioritizing glycogen restoration.

Gluconeogenesis is metabolically expensive, so not the fuel of first choice.

If you're in a caloric deficit, it's moot, as the recent studies on fasted exercise have shown.

Last edited:
Bottom line is I don't really even think about it. I just eat real food, mostly plants, minimally processed. I eat until full and stop. When I'm hungry I eat again. Seems to be working 10 years on...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom