all posts post new thread

Bell and the Bass

Andy Roberts

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
My first thread, I am now SFG1 at 71!
I did my first degree in music in Doublebass performance (Northwestern B.Music 1975).
My master Warren Benfield of the Chicago Symphony (under Georg Solti’s baton) taught me how to learn as did my my father, Harry Roberts , a professor of statistics at U. of Chicago).
5 years ago, I read the Naked Warrior and fell in love with my new instrument : kettlebells.
To me, playing kettlebells is like playing the bass. Instead of a bow, I make my body sing with a “girya”
I am 71, but I hope to give my students the same love and attention of detail that I bring to the bell and the bass.
I am proud to be SFG1 now and express gratitude to my maestros: Jose de Guerra, Louka Kurcer and Jon Engum.
Hands on bells!!!

Congratulations on your achievement! Another double bass player here, though less formally trained. I played in high school jazz band as well as the University ensemble while getting my undergraduate degree in another field. I still play some but mainly sitting in with bluegrass/newgrass type groups. Such a wonderful instrument. I always like to see people discussing the similarities between music study and physical and strength pursuits. They are more similar than one would initially surmise.

Congratulations on your achievement! Another double bass player here, though less formally trained. I played in high school jazz band as well as the University ensemble while getting my undergraduate degree in another field. I still play some but mainly sitting in with bluegrass/newgrass type groups. Such a wonderful instrument. I always like to see people discussing the similarities between music study and physical and strength pursuits. They are more similar than one would initially surmise.
I play jazz a bit and pop a lot. My main training and experience is classical.

That's tremendous, my friend! As a musician and a kettlebell lover, I hope to kick as much a#@ as you do at 71. Cheers!

Congratulations! You've found great teachers and sounds like you will be one, too!

I play jazz a bit and pop a lot. My main training and experience is classical.
I am a "jack of all trades" musician. Grew up studying jazz guitar with a little classical, went to undergrad as a classical guitar performance major, learned piano and electric bass while in college, dropped out and went back as a vocal performance major, masters in choral conducting while being a theory and ear-training geek, doctorate the same, and along the way picked up all the string family of instruments plus French Horn and trumpet, and am now a church organist.

-S-

I am a "jack of all trades" musician. Grew up studying jazz guitar with a little classical, went to undergrad as a classical guitar performance major, learned piano and electric bass while in college, dropped out and went back as a vocal performance major, masters in choral conducting while being a theory and ear-training geek, doctorate the same, and along the way picked up all the string family of instruments plus French Horn and trumpet, and am now a church organist.

-S-
I was always curious about this as I've seen references to you as a music teacher here in the forum. Incredible!

I was always curious about this as I've seen references to you as a music teacher here in the forum. Incredible!
@mvalenti, I taught music at two colleges between the late 1980's and about 2010, and also had a computer consulting/programming business for about 15 years in there, but now I make most of my living giving private music lesson here in our house. I gave my first music lessons in 1971 so I guess you could say I've been at it for a while now. :)

-S-

@mvalenti, I taught music at two colleges between the late 1980's and about 2010, and also had a computer consulting/programming business for about 15 years in there, but now I make most of my living giving private music lesson here in our house. I gave my first music lessons in 1971 so I guess you could say I've been at it for a while now. :)

-S-
That's awesome! Sounds like a rewarding and diverse career.

Back
Top Bottom