all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bench before ROP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CJL

Level 4 Valued Member
I am currently progressing from Simple to Sinister.  Starting to think about where I will go next.  I would like to do the ROP program eventually.  I am re-reading Easy Strength and some older posts by Pavel and I am noticing how the value of bench pressing is stressed.  I am wondering about using the BP for a while for upper body work before starting ROP (perhaps as the upper body portion of the KB and DL/ Vodka and Pickles program.)  Thoughts please. (and thanks.)

I don't believe bench before ROP is necessary at all.  I personally never bench press (not that into it, and I don't have a bench at home), and the ROP is perhaps my absolute favorite workout.  I'm on it again right now.

But it kind of sounds like you are more interested in benching than doing ROP at the moment.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into your post.  Either way, I'd say go the direction you are most interested in going (or pick the one that fits your goals, my goals are life long health and fun, so following my interests in programs has worked well so far).  If it's DL/Vodka/Pickles + bench, totally awesome.  If you want to do ROP, that would be awesome too.  Stick with the one you pick for a long time, then switch to the other, and you should get some good results.

Brian, I guess you are right, I am leaning towards benching.  I'm enough of a novice still that probably any change in program would give me benefit for awhile, but I'm trying to make a decision based on what's optimal rather than a whim.  It seems like the typical or standard progression is from PM/S&S to ROP, but I'm wondering if some barbell work would help overall strength progress faster.

I was in the same boat not too long ago, something about bench pressing has always made me keep it in my routines. I just did a cycle of Even Easier Strength before I jumped full force into ROP.

All of these programs compliment each other so well that you do not really have to worry about losing much. For example I finished my simple goal hardly being able to get the 40 kg above my head. After I finished my cycle of Even Easier Strength I wanted to test my self to see if I lost any strength in the get up or the swings. After 40 days on the Even Easier Strength program with out even touching a kettlebell I was able to do S&S with the 40 kg. Not Wobbly struggling through the routine but I felt amazing the 40 kg was now easy. I got my get ups with the 40 kg in 9 minutes and 30 seconds, and my swings in 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

I then moved on to ROP with the 24 kg to start, and have progressed all the way up to the 32 kg finishing my second week of the full 5 sets of 5 rungs this week.

Back to your original question though, I do not feel like you need to bench press with ROP. I think this would be too much pressing work. I have not benched with ROP and I occasionally test my self in the bench press and I went down a little bit from my Easy Strength numbers but not much.

Thanks, but question was about benching for awhile BEFORE starting ROP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom