all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bench Press Practice in Easy Strength Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey folks,

I was having a chat with my fitness teacher after today and he raised an interesting point that I wanted to address to the forum for feedback.  I'm lucky to have him as a teacher in my program as he's a CSCS and powerlifting coach and knows his stuff.  There are no SFGs in my area but he's definitely on the same side as this community so he's my go-to guy.  I was discussing my programming today and we were talking about the PTTP/KB programming in Easy Strength and he raised an interesting issue that I think I'm going to address in my training.  Basically he told me that my bench press progression is going to suffer as a result of the two week on/off style in this programming...that the BP is a highly technical lift that is really affected by practice.  In other words, taking two weeks off is going to reset my nervous system well below ideal and so make it such that my two weeks of barbell training after my KB stuff is going to be retraining the nervous system.  He recommended that I keep practicing my BP during my KB blocks to maintain the effectiveness of the barbell training or else switch entirely to barbell for a 12 week block.  I really like the ES template since I feel that I benefit on both ends from the alternating stresses but from my limited experience it makes sense.  My question then is, how should I tackle this from a programming perspective?  What would you recommend in terms of practice loads/frequency for addressing this?  I didn't have a chance to pursue the discussion further as we both had to run off after class so I'm asking the forum.  Last block I backed off to 145x5 when I started to feel close to failure at 165x5s....where should I drop down to during my kettlebell blocks?  50%? 70%?  Twice a week? I was thinking I'd do 50% twice a week...think its sufficient?  I'm very very green with this so would love some advice.  Thanks much!

Charles

Oh yes, and according to him this is not as much of an issue with the DL since it is more straightforward and so doesn't degrade as much without practice.  Maybe also the swing keeps up some of the same patterns?

Charles, if your technique is less than fully dialed in, block training is indeed not for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom