all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bent press as a TGU substitute?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

puddleduck

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

for various reasons I will be training outside on a hard - usually wet - concrete floor for the foreseeable future.  I have been working on S&S since christmas, but realistically I aint gonna bang out TGU's with the 48 on a hard floor.

Are Bent presses probably the best substitute for this?  Anyone got any ideas about programming them in terms of volume & intensity.  I will be sticking to the S&S format of 1H swings first.  I had read elsewhere that the Bent Press was in the original PM but got replaced by the TGU because of a lack of flexibility among the western audience....

Thanks in advance.

Iron Tamer,

With your Taming the Bent Press beta book would Simple and Sinister style swings after the bent presses work?

Michael, while you would not get the GU's ab strengthening effect and the reflexive stability Gray talks about, your upper body will be trained very comprehensively.  The BtP is a great advanced minimalist drill.

Pavel,

What are your thoughts on performing 5 heavy reps per arm of the Get Up to the hand followed by 5 singles per arm in the Bent Press? This would be in the same session.

Shawn

Shawn- I have never experimented with that, so I am not sure. Maybe give it a go and see what happens. My initial thought is that it is half-doing two things, but I could be wrong.

I do think you can get a lot of mid-section benefit by doing two hands anyhow, but that might be a a whole 'nother can of worms getting opened up....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom