all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bent press journal articles?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrew Duncan

Level 4 Valued Member
As part of my uni studies I've been tasked with identifying an existing gap in sport and exercise science and preparing a suitable study to address this. It turns out there is a considerable gap regarding the bent press - a Google scholar and uni portal search turned up literally nothing in the scientific literature, and turn of the century training books might not be what the university considers suitable to reference.

Is anybody on this forum aware of any peer reviewed journal articles pertaining to the bent press? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

turn of the century training books might not be what the university considers suitable to reference.

If Arthur Saxon is not a suitable reference for the bent press then there is none...

What is the research question you are trying to build a study for

Personally, I would consider Saxon credible - the uni, however, most likely has never heard of him.

The task is to identify a gap in exercise and sport science literature and prepare a study - not actually carry it out, more like a research proposal. One criteria of the assignment is a minimum of 10 peer reviewed journals - that's the stipulation, they have to be peer reviewed. Books are acceptable but do not count toward the total, and we are penalised for using other sources such as websites.

If there are no articles in peer-reviewed journals concerning the bent press, wouldn't that be the very example of 'a gap in exercise and sport science literature'?

I hate to say it, but you may need to find a different subject for your assignment if they won't flex on the 10 journal requirement.

I highly doubt you'll find anything. All the literature I have been exposed to on that move is in this forum, old time strongmen books, Russian Kettlebell Challenge, and IronTamers work. That's about it.

Despite the enthusiasm of its adherents to believe fantastical things about the bent press (352lbs IN ONE HAND!!) there's not gonna be much academic interest.

It's a peculiar assignment parameter though: find an under-studied area of exercise science that has NLT 10 pre-existing peer-reviewed studies on it, and design a study on it. Because no one has studied it. Except those ten other studies.

Lots of, lots of articles on bent press in the old manuals and magazines, plus 3 excellent books (Sig Klein, Harold Ansorge, David @Iron Tamer Whitley), all available for purchase, new or reprint.

I have posted some bent press articles only my English website www.simplexstrong.com, plus I am working on a program for StrongFirst called RSAS (Royal Simple & Sinister: snatch and bent press). It will include lot of cues for the lift I have found out either in many of the sources I studied, or in my own practice. Results after another cycle:

I was finally able to speak to my lecturer - he is on research leave and not able to be reached directly most of the time - and discussed my proposal with him. Because there is nothing in the literature regarding the bent press he has decided to waive the reference requirement. I appreciate that it is a fringe exercise, but I would have thought that the amount of anecdotal support for the bent press would have warranted at least some scientific inquiry.

It's a peculiar assignment parameter though: find an under-studied area of exercise science that has NLT 10 pre-existing peer-reviewed studies on it, and design a study on it. Because no one has studied it. Except those ten other studies.

The reference requirement certainly seems like a catch 22 when you put it that way. I think the idea is to provide some broad background information on similar studies to justify your current research - that's how I interpreted the task, anyway.

I was finally able to speak to my lecturer - he is on research leave and not able to be reached directly most of the time - and discussed my proposal with him. Because there is nothing in the literature regarding the bent press he has decided to waive the reference requirement. I appreciate that it is a fringe exercise, but I would have thought that the amount of anecdotal support for the bent press would have warranted at least some scientific inquiry.

The reference requirement certainly seems like a catch 22 when you put it that way. I think the idea is to provide some broad background information on similar studies to justify your current research - that's how I interpreted the task, anyway.

Great news that he waived the pre-existing research requirement. This will be a tough assignment nonetheless, but perhaps the uniqueness of the movement will pique his interest. Or cause him to wonder what the heck's wrong with you. I dunno.

I received my marking for the assignment today... 73%; not as well as I'd hoped, but all things considered I'm happy with it. Marks were lost for study rationale not relating to the literature (a bit hard to do when there is nothing even in the literature) and neglecting to specify intended statistical analyses in the methodology. If anyone would be interested to have a read - hopefully someone with a sport science degree - and provide some feedback, I'm happy to upload it.

I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread; the willingness of the StrongFirst community to help out a stranger (even in such a seemingly small way) is truly admirable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom