all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bent Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Iron Tamer

Strongman, Speaker and Seeker of Truth
I posted this over on the Book of Faces as well.

What questions or problems are y'all having with your bent press? It's time to fix them.....

I've got one.
First up ..  love the bent press, and love your work Tamer.

Here's the question…

In your experience what are some good options to keep getting stronger at bent pressing, when the kettlebell starts to get too light?
OK.. buy a heavier bell, or get a barbell obviously, but if that was out and you needed to squeeze as much as you could out of the bell you had.
With the military press there's a variety of options when the bell becomes too light, but the Bent Press is a little tougher.

Just wondered if you had any thoughts / preferences?

Tamer, I find visualising during the bent press, that I press myself into the floor with my lat, to be the most stable and strongest approach. My question is, what do you visualise, if anything, during the bent press?

One of my biggest questions would be how do you program it? I've seen routines using just about every other skill, but never seen a "do this" kind of routine for the bent press.

Likewise, where does the windmill come into play? Is it a useful precursor, and if so what are some good numbers/goals before transitioning to the bent press? A few months ago, I worked up to 5 x 5 windmills with a 32; should I now start over with bent press, use a 40 kg bell, etc?

Technique wise, the biggest challenge for me is keeping the arm vertical as the weight shifts.

I have the same basic questions as Jason, how do you program the bent press? Do you make better progress with high volume or can you get away with lower volume? How does the side press compare to the bent press, is there any value to including the side press to bent press training? I have been trying to do the original program minimum with bent press and snatches, is there any recommendations you would have for optimum frequency and reps?

Tamer, I've got one - although I push into my hip just fine doing a windmill, I have trouble doing it right at the start of a bent press.  I tend to let me weight come to the forward foot early on, and then end up pushing the bearing hip back to where it ought to be somewhere in the middle.  It's ugly and I'll post a video if you like.

Jason, with a light to moderate weight, I like to superset windmills and bent presses - it helps me address the problem I just mentioned.  Put the weight overhead, windmill down and back up, then pull down into a bent press start position and bent press.  With light weights, I've done multiple reps both ways, e.g., 1 windmill, 1 bent press, 1 windmill, 1 bent press, or 2 windmills followed by 2 bent presses.

-S-

When it comes to foot placement is the lifting side foot slightly turned in with the non lifting side foot faceing straight and stepped forward a few inches a strong stance for the bent press?I have some lower back problems and have gotten up the the 40kg bell with this stance but am getting some tightness in my lower back/hips. With both feet at a 45 degree angle I move too much and have no strength and with that foot placement ended up hurting my back worse a few years back. The same goes for having the lifting foot turned out, just alot of presure on my hip. Any help would be great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom