all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Best adjustable dumbbell for bent presses

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rickyw

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I have been looking at getting an adjustable dumbbell for mainly bent presses. I see Rogue offers two different small barbell style dumbbell bars that you can load weights on. I’ve also looked at the boscoe bell. Any thoughts or preferences about what would be best? I’m hoping to eventually get a body weight bent press so I would need to load 170lbs on it. My training area is not big enough for a barbell or I would just use that.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I have been looking at getting an adjustable dumbbell for mainly bent presses. I see Rogue offers two different small barbell style dumbbell bars that you can load weights on. I’ve also looked at the boscoe bell. Any thoughts or preferences about what would be best? I’m hoping to eventually get a body weight bent press so I would need to load 170lbs on it. My training area is not big enough for a barbell or I would just use that.

Thanks

I did both dumbbell and barbell Bent pressing (still do almost daily KB bent press). My suggestion is getting a dumbbell with long enough sleeves so you could load small plates on it. When I loaded 10kg plates (small 30mm hole plates) it was uncomofrtable to rack and my mind was always on that, 5kg plates felt great but couldn't load more than 3 plates a size on the short sleeves. A short barbell (120 cm) can be good and be used with larger plates with no problems. I use athletic tape to create a mid-bar 'knurling' on the 180cm bar I used

I have a few copies of these I have made over the years.

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/ProDumbbells.html

I like them because I don’t have to worry about hitting myself with the end of a loading pin.

I also have different lengths of 1” 8UNC grade 8 threaded rod I use to make Dumbbells.

B1FCBD42-ECD1-41CB-9566-42D5D8CA675D.jpeg

I have made 33mm, 48mm, 60mm, and even a 72mm Dumbbell handle. I also have different size structural steel 2 x 4, 3 x 4, 3 x 3, and 4 x 4 I have used also. I have adapters made to use Olympic plates.

D7E227F2-DDB2-4EB5-A827-D275D6746190.jpeg

I am willing to share ideas if others have access to the tools and materials. The easiest and cheapest is threaded rod because it requires little to make them.

When I did a lot of BP I just stacked kettlebells. Kind of depends on the weights you're planning to use. I was able to stack a 32 and 16 for a PR. For reps I mostly used a 32kg and 20lb.

Many of the smaller, cheaper kettlebells have very small handles perfect for stacking. When I started doing this I would also wrap a length of bicycle innertube around the body of the smaller bell to help keep it from sliding around, but after time I realized I didn't really need it.

Edit to add - just realized you're looking to hit 170lbs, how much can you do now?

@North Coast Miller , I am currently working with 40kg. I work up to 15 singles per side and then up the weight. The heaviest kettlebell I have is 48kg. It will be awhile to 170lbs, but at my current rate of progression I'll be looking for a heavier weight in the next 3 months or so.

@North Coast Miller , I am currently working with 40kg. I work up to 15 singles per side and then up the weight. The heaviest kettlebell I have is 48kg. It will be awhile to 170lbs, but at my current rate of progression I'll be looking for a heavier weight in the next 3 months or so.

BARS & HANDLES
0035spl-wh3.gif

0035spl-wh4.gif

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom