all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best Kettlebell exercises for Rotator Cuff?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I've had issues with my right shoulder for years. Training with Kettlebells, particularly S & S, has helped, but can anyone recommend specific KB exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff? Thanks.

Has any healthcare profession check out your shoulder? The reason why I ask is that there may be some underlying cause of "shoulder issues." In my rehab clinic, the majority of our treatments don't focus on the rotator cuff at all, but we work on things like addressing posture, shoulder blade mechanics, mobility of the thoracic spine, etc while also addressing shoulder joint mobility once in a while. Without know the full details, it's hard to give specific exercise that may help you.

Has any healthcare profession check out your shoulder? The reason why I ask is that there may be some underlying cause of "shoulder issues." In my rehab clinic, the majority of our treatments don't focus on the rotator cuff at all, but we work on things like addressing posture, shoulder blade mechanics, mobility of the thoracic spine, etc while also addressing shoulder joint mobility once in a while. Without know the full details, it's hard to give specific exercise that may help you.

Fair point, and yes I did get it checked out by sports injury clinic. I was using the term, "rotator cuff" as a catch-all for shoulder mobility and strength issues.

When I try to press overhead, or even bench, I get a pain in my shoulder and right bicep. I also have restricted mobility in that shoulder; I can't press up in a perfectly straight line.

I have rotator cuff issues on my right shoulder and labral issues with the left shoulder. They very, very seldom get angry, but if they do, it is because I am not rotating my thoracic spine enough. The exercises selections to calm these down have always been get ups and windmills.

Fair point, and yes I did get it checked out by sports injury clinic. I was using the term, "rotator cuff" as a catch-all for shoulder mobility and strength issues.

When I try to press overhead, or even bench, I get a pain in my shoulder and right bicep. I also have restricted mobility in that shoulder; I can't press up in a perfectly straight line.
So... if you got checked out by a PT at a sports injury clinic... what did they recommend or prescribe that you should be doing? They are the ones you should be taking your advice from first.
(Also speaking from the perspective of someone who has funky shoulders and had a surgical repair to one)

So... if you got checked out by a PT at a sports injury clinic... what did they recommend or prescribe that you should be doing? They are the ones you should be taking your advice from first.
(Also speaking from the perspective of someone who has funky shoulders and had a surgical repair to one)

Basic mobility drills were recommended, and I followed them faithfully. But I seem to have reached the point where they aren't going to allow me to make much more improvement. That's why I'm trying to find out if kettlebells can be the next step.

Basic mobility drills were recommended, and I followed them faithfully. But I seem to have reached the point where they aren't going to allow me to make much more improvement. That's why I'm trying to find out if kettlebells can be the next step.
Did you have an MRI done to rule out any ligament, tendon, or arthritic damage?

I had an ultra sound scan done. The doctor said the impingement wasn't of the level that would require surgery.
I had a left shoulder biceps tendon impingement that they were going to go in and repair, I was putting of the surgery because I had a big bike race and a climbing trip approaching; so I opted to wait until these events were over. I did my physiotherapy dutifully at the clinic and at home with only mediocre results at best. KB’s were forbidden by the surgeon and the PT. During the ensuing months however I rode several thousand km through the winter on frozen washboard gravel roads... taking quite a beating at times...somewhat miraculously the shoulder cleared up...

Improper pressing technique/shoulder set up can cause the bicep tendon to get pinched where it connects deep in the shoulder area. That can cause bicep tendonitis but feel like it's a shoulder muscle issue because of the pain location. Just an n=1 personal experience observation and not an amateur attempt to diagnose your actual situation.

Just something to possibly discuss with a real, live, qualified medical practitioner. That would not be me.

I have found get ups, windmills, and bent presses to “cure” my chronic shoulder issues, including tears in the rotator cuff and labrum. Your mileage may vary.

I like the use of ””cure””... since torn labrum‘s don’t ever really heal. My right one was pretty bad and I had it surgically repaired. My left one has a small tear, but through physio, and intelligent training I have been able to work around the issue...

If one can avoid surgery I would highly recommend doing so. My surgery was on Halloween day, and I wasn’t able to climb again until the end of June. (and it was pathetic...) I didn’t feel ‘right’ again until almost a full year had passed...

I like the use of ””cure””... since torn labrum‘s don’t ever really heal. My right one was pretty bad and I had it surgically repaired. My left one has a small tear, but through physio, and intelligent training I have been able to work around the issue...

If one can avoid surgery I would highly recommend doing so. My surgery was on Halloween day, and I wasn’t able to climb again until the end of June. (and it was pathetic...) I didn’t feel ‘right’ again until almost a full year had passed...
In my mind I meant “cure“ as a resolution of the symptoms, that’s about as much evidence I have, as I was able to continue training and dodge the surgery bullet. I’ve been dodging shoulder surgery for over a decade, and finally I can honestly say that I’m not just putting it off, but I honestly don’t think I need it anymore.

I've had issues with my right shoulder for years. Training with Kettlebells, particularly S & S, has helped, but can anyone recommend specific KB exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff? Thanks.

Consider Dr. Kirsch's approach of prescribing dead hangs instead of surgery for many of his patients, if it's applicable to you.

They seem to help me with my shoulder impingement but I only started doing them recently.

I'm also alternating them with squat "rests" ala Ido Portal.

I have a torn left labrum and supraspinatus and do a fairly ridiculous number of things to improve the strength, stability, and mobility of my shoulder girdle.

For me, strengthening up the entire shoulder girdle, through a broad range of motion, as opposed to just the rotator cuff, has worked.

I can barbell clean and jerk (~105 kg), as well as snatch (~79kg), overhead press, do chin ups, etc.

Things I rotate through 1-3 times a week, as programmed, or as needed:

• Facepulls
  • Band pull aparts
  • Rows (barbell, inverted bodyweight, bands)
  • Chin ups
  • KB presses
  • KB arm bars
  • KB windmills
  • Klokov presses
  • Plate lateral raises
  • Overhead squats
  • Front squats (barbell)
  • Yuri's warm up routine
  • Indian club drills
  • Macebell drills
  • Reverse planks
  • Back bridges
  • Thoracic extension & thoracic mobility drills
  • Preacher stretch
  • Starfish plank
  • Dips
  • Push ups
For me, it hasn't been any one thing, but it's working.

Last edited:
Were T-spine mobility drills part of the Physical Therapist's recommendations?
Addressing the mobility issue with the right shoulder will be key and that might not mean stretching the right shoulder.
A follow up visit with the clinician might be a good idea so they can progress your exercises etc...

Use the neutral grip position for all of your pushing exercises. It will take the pressure off of your shoulders.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom