all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Best neck traing exercise.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

araven

First Post
Hey,
I am new so I am not aware of all the rules etc, so pls let me know if I do something that I should not. English is my second language so excuse any words or expressions used incorrectly. Pls do correct me on this, I seriously dislike slaughtering foreign languages.

I am looking for neck exercises that can be weighted or resisted. I am only interested in natural movement exercises and I am aware that the neck muscles are mainly type 1 fibers meant to hold something light for long periods of time(the head) and should thus not be exposed to heavy weights and the going should be slow. Also I want to avoid compression of the spine, e.g. bridges. I will share my regiment below, hopefully that can help someone.

I am currently using:
1. Downward neck tilt, move straight chin to chest.
2. Side to side tilt, start with chin at chest and turn towards shoulder until you feel resistence - do not force range of movement.
3. Side turn, as 2. only straight chin turn, no tilt. Everything else is the same.
4. Upward neck tilt, start with chin at chest and move up, observe range of movement to avoid spine compression. Stop just before straight neck. Very short range of movement as with most neck exercises.
This one can be weighted heavily for short term gains with a neck harness(which is why neck harnesses have gotten a bad rep), do not do that. Increasing neck size is a long term goal to avoid long term complications(as with all type 1 fiber dominated muscles) .

1-4. are all therapeutic exercises used for neck pain(unweighted) and not meant to increase neck size, my goal is to convert them to increase neck size to balance with shoulder width mainly. I find it hard to weight/add resistence to some of them. 4. is weighted already via harness - so that is ok(observe what I stated above about the harness). I am trying to do the other ones with the use of a rubber resistance band, I find 2. and 3. less than ideal this way. 1. is ok with the rubber band.
Would appreciate any tips, anything really, not just feedback on what I am doing, but other exercises as well. Pls share what you use. I am always looking to improve.

So now you have my opinions. Let me know yours so that we can develop our exercises together.

Regards,
Jesper

Thai clinch. Nothing more natural than fighting. Lol

LOL, so not training to fight, but fighting to train in your case then. Probably be a good idea to train the neck for the thai clinch, not to mention the knees coming your way. After all the neck is the shock absorber of the head, it's no coincidence wrestlers are hard to KO. On the other hand there will most likely be more trauma and long term injuries if you don't get KOed easily.

For number 3, if I read your description properly, I was suggested once to press the closed fist against the side of the chin and press against the fist, while keeping the fist firm, so your head cannot rotate.

But I have the feeling that you either need to discuss calmly with a physiotherapist, if you have neck problems, or do nothing if you don't. If you perform powerlifting exercises it will grow, eventually.

I am looking for neck exercises...

Neck Training

Most individual don't need specific neck exercises unless they are involved in specific sports, like wrestling.

The neck is engaged/trained in most exercises via...

The Tonic Neck Reflex

This is a natural reflex that most individual are familiar with or realizes engages/work the neck.

Research shows that The Tonic Neck Reflex ensure more strength and power is produced in a movcement.

Training Examples

1) Pushing Movements

As an example, in the Bench Press, in driving the weight up, the neck drive the head back into the bench. By doing so, more force is generated alone with stabilizing the movement.

In this situation, the neck is performing an Isometric Action; driving the head into an immovable object; the bench pad.

The same occurs with overhead pressing movements. The neck driving the head back as your press the weight up.

2) Pulling Movements

In Pulling Movements, The Tonic Neck Reflex increases force production by tucking your neck into your chest in exercises like: Lat Pulldown, Rows, Curls, etc.

In this situation, as with Pressing, the neck is performing an Isometric Action.

This method of tucking the chin into the chest also naturally occurs with good Deadlifters. it is referred to as...

Neck Packing

Neck Packing ensure the spine remains in a neural position, as well as Isometrically working the neck.

Dr Bret Contreras Neck Packing Demonstration

Olympic Lifters and Powerlifters

Both have large, strong necks.

They rarely, if ever, perform any direct neck exercises.

Their neck strength and size comes from heavy Pushing and Pulling Movements.

Gaining Weight

This is another factor that increases neck size.

Konstantīns Konstantinovs

This is one of the greatest Deadlifters of all time.

His neck development came from heavy Strength Training Movements.

1595169289717.png

Take Home Message

1) Compound Strength Training Movements

Squats, Pressing Movements, Pulling Movements, etc will increase neck strength and size.

2) Gaining Weight

Gaining weight on a well written Strength Training Program increases muscle mass and size; neck, arms, chest, legs, etc.

Attachments

• 1595167975363.png
    1595167975363.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A teammate of mine in college had a kid in his neighborhood who would attach a pipe to the top of his football helmet and add weight plates to it and then ride his bike around the neighborhood.

The kid riding the bike wearing the helmet, not the teammate.

Last edited:
Great explanation by @kennycro@@aol.com !! Agree that the neck is worked in the majority of compound exercises, but if you are in a sport which requires extra neck training- e.g boxing, grappling, rugby... then I would recommend this book:
jailhouse strong: tactical shield training
Specific to your needs and is a good price on amazon.

cheers
Gorg

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replies.

I have no problems with my neck and I am a medical professional.

The problem I do have is that my neck does not grow as quick as the rest of my upper body, I am aware that this is because of the fiber type distribution in the neck muscles do not allow for the same growth rate or final volume as the surrounding fibers. A Trapezius muscle could be considered as part of the neck as I believe it is attached to the spinal part of the neck(as well as a large part of the upper spine). However it is mainly the Trapezi(if they are considered neck muscles they are the only muscles mainly consisting of type 2 fibers) that makes the rest of the neck look small, despite compound exercises being the basis of my weight training. I guess we are all different and I have to adjust to have a balanced body. I need extra neck training to look balanced.

Now you have the background, which I should have posted up top as a lot of replies understandably is concerned about why and not how.

Some of the posts have been very helpful, especially kevin's video, however almost all of the exercises activates the back of the neck - my main focus is the front and sides of the neck as in exercises 1-3. I am aware that heavy compound exercises will eventually balance out the neck after years and years of grinding(for me, I have been lifting all my life and at one point I was there). Weight is not a problem, I have enough weight and muscles I do not want to get bigger. It is simply a neck issue, I doubt it will balance out unless I gain weight ironically. I did not enjoy walking around at 100+ kg and have to walk around with pancakes in a box all day to keep my weight LOL.

The fist, static way of doing 2 and 3 was smart I will use that.

Thank you guys so much! You really helped me improve! Pls do keep posting, there is so much knowledge out there.

Regards,
Jesper

Hi,
you might want to check out the work of Kevin Secours. I can highly recommend it from my martial arts years.
The exercises are usually more 'dynamic' so to speak.
Take a look:

if I had to choose only one exercise, it would be a modified wrestler's bridge. Credits to RDP: (the second exercise presented, the one on the thumbnail). More than building strength for Thai clinch, which is one of my objectives, it has a corrective value every enthusiast of slouching sports can benefit from.
If I have more time, I do a triplet:
- the aforementioned modified wrestler's bridge
- neck extensions with a weight hanged on a towel. I hold the towel with my teeth
- forward neck curls with a resistance band. I kneel on the ground, resistance band hanged on a pull-up bar.

Hope it helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom