all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bloody assymetry

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pavel_wannabe

First Post
Dear friends,

I am new to this forum, as well as to the arena of strength.  I am a 5'9" and 153 pound skinny averagejoe (think scare crow).  I got my hands on my first 16kg KB a few days back.  And what I found is that my assymetry in strentgh is making me sick.

I am only trying dead lifts right now (medical lifts, as in power to the people) .  The revelation occured while I tried to do a TGU. I could do it perfectly with my right arm, but the left arm was scary wobbly. Again, I could do a crisp military press with my right, but my left was just.....

Can you guys suggest any thing to help me.  I tried waiter walks for my left side alone, but again too wobbly.  Any help would be appreciated.

This is pretty typical. Before you go down the rabbit hole of trying to fix every asymmetry you can, I would suggest just getting stronger first. Get S&S, start using that 16kg bell, and your left side will catch up pretty quickly. It may never be equal to the right, and it doesn't have to be, but you can go from having a strong arm and a weak arm to, as Master SF David Whitley says, having a strong arm and a stronger arm.

I think what you describe is typical so I wouldn't beat myself up about it.  I am only about 3 months into KB training and had and continue to have some muscle imbalances but they are improved and I am stronger.  If at all possible I would suggest some sessions with a certified KB instructor to be sure I was doing the movements correctly. Otherwise, you could be training and reinforcing a movement that is flawed.  Patience is a virtue with this stuff.

IMO, If you are not truly ambidextrous and ensure that you equally share all activities between both hands in everything you do then I highly doubt anyone can get perfect balance between left and right sides.

As the above posts have said, by simply being consistent in your practise you will gain a closer balance.  what you have experienced is the same as myself and all my friends who enjoy strength work have experienced and is no cause for concern.

Personally (and from Pavels writing) I have always practised up to the level of my strong (as opposed to my stronger) side, which has balanced things out somewhat.

hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the advice, I guess it is back to the bell then.

Would you  suggest that I start my swings, I can't deadft from the ground without losing connection of my shoulder and lats. A few inches from the ground I can do it in perfect form, without straining my back at all.

What would you suggest?

I would caution against swinging until you gain the flexibility so you can deadlift with proper form. The swing is built on good deadlift technique and mobility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom