all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Body Composition test

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
I use Dexa because the InBody system (or similar bio-electrical impedance) is so easy to game.

We have one at the medical fitness facility where I work. In general I like it. Because it's free for us to use I have done a few tests over the years that would probably cost me a ton to do if I didn't have access to it.

It is fairly solid if you follow the rules correctly -don't eat or drink before, remove heavy clothing & metals, etc. I've done test-retest fasted vs 30 mins after eating a few times, and the numbers can be wildly different, as much as 3.5% body fat 'change' so take that advice carefully.

Under similar conditions, my numbers have been fairly steady. I've never focused on hypertrophy, fat loss, etc. in my life, and my numbers consistently hovered between 1-2 total lbs, skeletal muscle ~1-2lbs and body fat ~1%. This is over a period of over 5 years. As my training was mostly strength/velocity geared, these results match my expectations given volume, training emphasis etc.

I recommend repeating the same conditions on retest to get best value (same time, same fasted time before, etc.). Personally I find a coffee in the morning doesn't affect the score, assuming I use the restroom prior (otherwise water numbers can be thrown off. Another important point to follow regarding following instructions).

I actually just did a test-retest after 8 weeks of taking creatine, and am up 3 lbs, 1 of which is water, 1 muscle and 1 fat. This was accompanied by 1x a week heavy strength training, and ~2x week of more medball/jump circuits focusing on high velocity.

It is fairly solid if you follow the rules correctly -don't eat or drink before, remove heavy clothing & metals, etc. I've done test-retest fasted vs 30 mins after eating a few times, and the numbers can be wildly different, as much as 3.5% body fat 'change' so take that advice carefully.

Yep, as well as how well hydrated you are and how much glycogen you're storing.

I found the unit reliably tracked change (up or down) provided the conditions of each test were comparable (I tested first thing in the morning after going to the toilet but before eating or drinking) but I have no idea how accurate it is to begin with. One guy told me his BF measurement was 1% out from a dexa that he’d had just minutes earlier. Guys I know who were serious about accuracy used to test first thing in the morning after going to the toilet, drinking 1L of water, then going to the toilet again, but that might just be bro science

ShawnM,
Yeah I know the mirror works well that’s what bodybuilders do, it works well. The reason I asked the question is because the InBody composition testing is available to me and it’s the beginning of a new year today. I have three programs to choose from and I want to log results. I have never worked a program before and I want give feedback to the person who designed the program. Any encouragement to sticking to a program is welcome this will be my first time ever. Not that I deserve any help. P.M. from anyone is welcome

Blessed New Years to all.
. . and make the gains . .

Last edited:
ShawnM,
Yeah I know the mirror works well that’s what bodybuilders do, it works well. I reason I asked the question is because the InBody composition testing is available to me and it’s the beginning of a new year today. I have three programs to choose from and I want to log results. I have never worked a program before and I want give feedback to the person who designed the program. Any encouragement to sticking to a program is welcome this will be my first time ever. Not that I deserve any help. P.M. is welcome

Blessed New Years to all.
. . and make the gains . .
Sorry if I came off wrong. I personally have never done a body composition test before so I'm not much help in that department. If you have a composition testing available to you I'd go for it and see where it comes out.

ShawnM you didn’t come off wrong at all (respect). I probably would have beat you to your reply by saying the same thing. D boards are difficult for me, sometimes, because you don’t get to hear a person’s voice inflection or see their face. Not seeing my face is a good thing though. Have a happy and healthy. . .
Bill,

I've had Bod Pod, Dexa, and Fit3D. All are helpful for getting you generally oriented to where you really are with objective measures. Don't get too caught up in the exact numbers. Just let it point you in the direction you need to go, and see if the numbers improve after some work. Kind of like strength training...

My gym also has InBody and I found it pretty interesting, although I have nothing else to compare it against. The part I find more useful than a mirror test is that InBody breaks your muscle down by limbs so you can spot some muscular imbalances this way. I don't know how accurate those numbers are though so take it with a grain of salt.

Here’s an interesting outcome from Inbody taken in November. I’ve been unable to do any lower body resistance exercise for 12 months due to bad knee arthritis. My upper body musculature was 50% higher than the norm for my gender/age while my lower body musculature was 6% higher. I reckon before my knee problem they would have both been around that higher level. That’s a hell of a price to pay for year’s inactivity

Edit: ok all you squat lovers are going to claim it’s chicken legs syndrome because I never squat but I swear to you 12 months ago I had the thighs of Hercules and the calves of Achilles

Edit: ok all you squat lovers are going to claim it’s chicken legs syndrome because I never squat but I swear to you 12 months ago I had the thighs of Hercules and the calves of Achilles

C9STlZNVoAAeAkU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom