all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight : Benefits of ankle and wrist weights ?

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
I have often seen mention of loaded pushups, loaded pullups, and loaded carries.

I've not seen much discussion in the strongfirst forums regarding loaded deadbugs, however I have seen reference to doing many reps unloaded.

Any benefits in doing less deadbug reps but using ankle and wrist weights ? Are core muscles so relatively small that they do not need any weight to make them work hard ?

I can’t really think of a reason that it would be a bad idea…. That said, I think I would want to be able to do pretty good volume with unloaded dead digs first. I guess I, personally, see the dead bug as more of a “coordination “ exercise (kind of like loaded mobility) than a maximal strength one, so I myself wouldn’t be inclined to do lower rep, higher weight work with them.

Like I said though, I don’t really see a reason not to try it.

Reactions: Ege
I have often seen mention of loaded pushups, loaded pullups, and loaded carries.

I've not seen much discussion in the strongfirst forums regarding loaded deadbugs, however I have seen reference to doing many reps unloaded.

Any benefits in doing less deadbug reps but using ankle and wrist weights ? Are core muscles so relatively small that they do not need any weight to make them work hard ?
“Loaded” can be a loaded expression. :)

Push-ups are a bodyweight strength exercise you can load. Ditto pullups.

Carries only make sense if they’re loaded. (Otherwise it’s just walking.)

I do windmills with light kettlebells and touch the non-bearing hand to the opposite foot or the ground. I consider those loaded mobility, not strength, training.

-S-

If memory serves well, he was not recommending deadbug as an exercise to load as in a strength exercise. Loaded deadbug is not in the standards that he mentions as well.
Well, I've seen tons of different loaded variants of deadbugs. Aleks shows one version, I've seen dumbbell loaded ones, plate loaded ones where only the legs move and wrist/ankle weights loaded ones. Whether they are appropriate for someone or not all depends on someone's goal or his ability/strength. I'll let you figure out what is recommended and what is not depending on your goals.

Back
Top Bottom