all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bodyweight Programs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jpk

Level 1 Valued Member
Along with Naked Warrior, what are some other bodyweight programs and or movements suggested for both strength & hypertrophy.  With some disc issues I have some trouble going heavy with either KB's or barbell.  BW movements outside of handstands present no issues.

I have been experimenting with do ladders using pushups, pull-ups ....what else would be suggested.

There are a lot of solid ideas in the SFB cert/course manual.

Building the Gymnastic Body and Overcoming Gravity are both excellent if you want to go above and beyond and start looking at more advanced stuff.

I'm partial to density training, personally.

Basically, doing more quality work in a set period of time, thus, increasing the 'density' of the work done. Charles Staley has written a lot of great stuff on it.

Here's a primer I wrote: http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/2013/09/have-it-all-bryce-lanes-5020.html

I just read a few pieces on the density training method and a few different takes.  Would a bodyweight workout like this make sense?

15min Total = 3 reps each set then move to 2 reps, 1 rep etc when can't complete resting 10sec between sets.  At the end total reps and try to improve next workout?

Pushups, Pullups, Squats

Seems like the volume would warrant some rest, is this a 3 workout a week type program?

I actually did that exact program for a while not long after I began training. It made me really sore, that was about it.

Something like the 50/20, or the fighter pullup program, or ladders (which can be done in a density format as well) are all very much preferable to that... locking yourself into a set 'rest range' and going to the limit is exactly how not to improve.

Density work at its most effective isn't mindlessly trying to do more reps, it's doing a lot of quality practice in a short period of time. So, don't try to boost quantity at the expense of quality, which is what that specific layout would have you doing.

What would be a good example of the 50/20 using bodyweight only movements?

Interesting topic.

I would go with ETK ladder scheme. For upper body pull-ups + dips or some elevated pushups. Handstand pushups is fine choice also, but you said it bothers you.

Lower body is little harder. If you can do sprints. On variety days do pistols.

It will be my choice for strength and hypertrophy with bodyweight movements.

http://www.strongfirst.com/from-bodyweight-to-heavy-weight-part-1-mining-the-one-armone-leg-pushup-for-a-heavier-military-press/

I'm not sure how the counter-rotation of  one arm pushups might affect your spine but this is fine programming for any combination of lifts.

I like and have been using Ladders.  Typically looks like this-

Pushups 3 ladders x 1,2,3,4,5,...etc.   Same with pull-ups and maybe KB deadlifts.

Questions:

The pushups with 3 ladders can sometimes equal around 70-80+ reps.  Is that too much?

Generally resting around 15sec between sets and 60sec between ladders is this appropriate?

What about combining Pushups/Pullups then 15sec rest between sets?  This would add intensity therefore drop the reps of the pushups.

Thoughts on how to program something like this?

The Naked Warrior is one of my favorite strength training books of all time.  Other body weight training books I like are Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade, From the Ground Up by Al Kavadlo, and Raising the Bar by Al Kavadlo.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom