all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Breathing for optimal performance and more

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fredrik

Level 4 Valued Member
I am experimenting some with breathing right now and eondering whether someone has some experience in this? My idea is to maximize oxygen uptake during kettlebell training (S&S) and running (sprint intervals). I also hope to improve blood flow and circulation in my everyday life since I have Cold hands and feet from time to time. What is best, thoracic or abdominal breathing? Is there different advantages between the to? Any other breathing excercises to do besides during kettlebell training and running?
Thanks!
/Fredrik

@Fredrick, welcome to StrongFirst.

Abdominal breathing is always better than thoracic breathing. Once abdominal breathing is mastered, you can learn to breath from other places as well.

I recommend you look into Buteyko breathing.

-S-

Go buy the oxygen advantage by Patrick McKeown. There is a website too but the book is more detailed. @Steve Freides mentions and has talked about, the buteyko method as he teaches it, as does the author. The book explains the science and gives detailed breathing programmes to follow including exercises to gain the same benefits of altitude training for performance gains. Nasal breathing. Anyway, it's all there and more. Great reading and investment.

Go buy the oxygen advantage by Patrick McKeown. There is a website too but the book is more detailed. @Steve Freides mentions and has talked about, the buteyko method as he teaches it, as does the author. The book explains the science and gives detailed breathing programmes to follow including exercises to gain the same benefits of altitude training for performance gains. Nasal breathing. Anyway, it's all there and more. Great reading and investment.
+1

Currently reading the Oxygen Advantage thanks to this thread. :)

Just the nose unblocking exercise from the book alone is worth the 10 bucks for the Kindle version.

As with many things, I recommend working with a teacher if you can. I offer this via Skype, and include an app my teacher created to guide you through various levels and exercises.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom