all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Breathing questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
(Perhaps these questions should be asked in another forum on this site, but I didn't not know which would be more appropriate)

I frequently hear and read statements which say that, when exercising, we should breathe "in through the nose, out through the mouth." Is there a physical reason for this, or does everyone say that simply because everyone else says that?

In Simple&Sinister, Pavel T. sometimes writes that we should take two sharp sniffs of air through the nose. Why two? Why not just one large sniff?

Last edited:
I think 'in through the nose' is always preferable as a healthy airway.

'Out through the mouth' is so that you can control the exhale to create intra-abdominal pressure for the lift. Use power breathing, as a hiss or "tsaaa!" on an upswing.

As for the two sniffs, I don't know the reason. Maybe because one long sniff would end up sucking in your nostrils and restricting your airway. But try it, it works! Especially if you find yourself getting out of breath during a set.

This breathing pattern applies to ballistic exercises (swing, snatch, etc.).

I find that when inhaling through the mouth, people tend to chest breathe rather than belly breathe. The sharp exhale through the mouth is pressurized to help maintain tension, which is probably not happening when you exhale through your nose.

Two breaths just helps one get air quickly while maintaining a pressurized abdomen. Two breaths is not a requirement, but it does help some people. I only do one breath as I feel it's enough for me.

Hello,

Why two? Why not just one large sniff?
Two sharp sniffs of air permit you to maintain full tension, because they are shorter. The "pause" between is not long enough to lose tension. However, the duration of a long one is. At least for me eh eh

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ignites some muscles that control diaphragm movements. These cannot be controlled externally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom