all posts post new thread

Built Strong - hypertrophy stimulus

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
I purchased Built Strong today and have used the spreadsheet to develop a few programs. As a hybrid strength/hypertrophy program, I’m wondering if the heavy, medium, light days are to assist more with the strength element than the hypertrophy. Given the increasing volume from heavy, medium to light, is the program considered sufficient to trigger hypertrophy response from every workout (whether heavy, medium or light)? The reason I’m asking is my chronic joint and tendon issues don’t appreciate heavy weights so if I can achieve hypertrophy without I will just run the medium and light days for a cycle

I purchased Built Strong today and have used the spreadsheet to develop a few programs. As a hybrid strength/hypertrophy program, I’m wondering if the heavy, medium, light days are to assist more with the strength element than the hypertrophy. Given the increasing volume from heavy, medium to light, is the program considered sufficient to trigger hypertrophy response from every workout (whether heavy, medium or light)? The reason I’m asking is my chronic joint and tendon issues don’t appreciate heavy weights so if I can achieve hypertrophy without I will just run the medium and light days for a cycle
I don't know.
I might just do the same reps but with a lighter load. Or even keep the number of lifts on the heavy day but switch to one of the other rep ladders a d a lighter load.
i.e. keep the three sessions and weekly volume of lifts.

Personally, I found BTS to be very good for my joints. You might try a few sessions with heavy lifts, maybe using easier ladders to get the volume in (which is low, anyway).

I think for hypertrophy it would just be fine to drop them, but you might have a little less strength gains or maintenance.

The heavy days are certainly a bit more strength focused, especially with the given weight and rep ranges. Low volume heavy days do also absolutely contribute to hypertrophy. I would say it would be worth trying them out for the first couple of weeks while the reps are still pretty low. My first run through BTS felt pretty low impact on the heavy sets (and low impact overall). Good results, though.

Given the increasing volume from heavy, medium to light, is the program considered sufficient to trigger hypertrophy response from every workout (whether heavy, medium or light)? The reason I’m asking is my chronic joint and tendon issues don’t appreciate heavy weights so if I can achieve hypertrophy without I will just run the medium and light days for a cycle
The Heavy lifts are done at a very low volume (even on the "Tough" schedule) to maintain and potentially increase strength as strength increases help with muscle mass gain.

The Medium and Light lifts with the "Regular" and "Light" exercises are purely for hypertrophy (and you will increase strength).

I have shoulder (arthritis/bursitis) and knee (arthritis) pain despite PT, ART, massage, prehab, mobility work, etc.

I've had to slowly work my way back to being what I was able to do. After 6 weeks on BuiltStrong Minimalist, I have increased strength and muscle without it bothering my joints (other than squatting - 3x/week is way too much for my knees).

I still have some tendonitis in my right elbow, and my right pec/shoulder still hets aggravated, but they are far better than they were.

As I posted in my thread (Other/Mixed - My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!), choose your Medium and Light exercises wisely!

Make sure they are joint-friendly exercises for YOU.

I would keep the Heavy lifts, but choose a Press, Pull, and Squat (or Deadlift - like I'm doing in my next 8-week phase) that doesn't cause you joint issues

Also, choose the Minimal schedule for the Heavy exercises, and then decide on using the Regular (I recommend this) or Tough (only if used to high volume) schedule for your Medium and Light exercises.

Back
Top Bottom