all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Built Strong w/ Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jaku

Level 4 Valued Member
Forgive me if this was answered in the past. My searches came up empty.

I'm reading through my Built Strong manual and I'm trying to come up with a program that I can do with only KBs for the simple reason that I have KBs (1x12kg, 2x16kg, 2x24kg) and no access to a gym.

I ran into an issue when dealing with 1RM. It's been a while so I don't know my 1RMs for Squats and stuff anymore but even if I did, how does one program a hypertrophy kettlebell program for the Squat movement pattern? My main life was going to be Double KB Front Squat.

This question also applies to hip hinges as well where I know I can deadlift quite heavy but I really just want to gain some hamstring mass, so maybe One-leg KB DLs or Romanian KB DLs would do the trick here?

Dbl. FS will work. Also, single leg squats with 1 or 2 bells in the rack, step ups and lunges with the bells.
SLDL's like you mentioned, swings with Dbl. bells, hill sprints, single leg ham curl with a Swiss ball, pistols.
I'd be doing sets of 8-10 without much rest.

Dbl. FS will work. Also, single leg squats with 1 or 2 bells in the rack, step ups and lunges with the bells.
SLDL's like you mentioned, swings with Dbl. bells, hill sprints, single leg ham curl with a Swiss ball, pistols.
I'd be doing sets of 8-10 without much rest.
Single leg curl on a Swiss ball is a challenging and worthy inclusion. Too little knee flexion is done by many who would benefit.

Forgive me if this was answered in the past. My searches came up empty.

I'm reading through my Built Strong manual and I'm trying to come up with a program that I can do with only KBs for the simple reason that I have KBs (1x12kg, 2x16kg, 2x24kg) and no access to a gym.

I ran into an issue when dealing with 1RM. It's been a while so I don't know my 1RMs for Squats and stuff anymore but even if I did, how does one program a hypertrophy kettlebell program for the Squat movement pattern? My main life was going to be Double KB Front Squat.

This question also applies to hip hinges as well where I know I can deadlift quite heavy but I really just want to gain some hamstring mass, so maybe One-leg KB DLs or Romanian KB DLs would do the trick here?
If you are wanting to create a Built Strong program with just your kettlebells, choose your exercises per movement pattern, and then test your #RMs to see which intensity zone that particular weight would fall in.... That could help show you which intensity zone each would fall into.... (i.e. 9 reps with the double 24's with the front squat would put you into the M intensity zone) You could then find appropriate exercises/intensity zones for a BTS program.

Also, I believe Fabio has information in some of his articles of how to take your #RM to estimate your 1RM (for the ARI) Sorry I can't recall which article......

It looks really tough to program KB Front Squats without having to invest in some heavy double kb. For example, I set my 1RM to 61kg. Which is really low. The intensity breakdown looks like this.

L: 39.65kg (closet traditional weight: 2x16kg)
M: 45.75kg (closet traditional weight: 2x24kg)
H: 52kg (non-traditional weight: 2x26)

I'd have to purchase some interesting intermediate weights to nail those numbers. Guess it's easier to play with barbells :(

I'd have to purchase some interesting intermediate weights to nail those numbers. Guess it's easier to play with barbells :(
PlanStrong programming works with rep _ranges_, so you needn't be exact with the percentages.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom