all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Built to Move Book

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Birddog

Level 5 Valued Member
Ever since finding Original Strength years ago I have slowly become obsessed with movement and breathing. I came across yet another book called Built to Move by Kelly Starrett. Curious if anyone has any opinions on it or reviews? I am tempted to purchase it but wondering if it's the same principles as OS just rebranded.

Anyone read this?

I bought it and like it. I saw a little bit of Dan John influence in there, and also some 'centenarian olympics' Peter Attia influence as well.
Reasonable list of qualities to maintain/work to achieve for as long as you can for sure.

@Dan John apologies, didn't mean to imply you had! Maybe I worded that poorly in terms of 'influence'
I meant to say that I see similarities in many of the ideas you discuss, that were also present in Kelly's book.

Ever since finding Original Strength years ago I have slowly become obsessed with movement and breathing. I came across yet another book called Built to Move by Kelly Starrett. Curious if anyone has any opinions on it or reviews? I am tempted to purchase it but wondering if it's the same principles as OS just rebranded.

Anyone read this?
I've read several OS books.
I've skimmed the Built to Move book, listened to a podcast from the authors and did most of their free digital program.

I don't think it's OS rebranded. There are different, unique vies of things.

I think there's value in the book for you if you're curious.

I personally find that OS is what has stuck for me because it's so simple ... Built to Move has dozens of exercises, etc. for different parts of you, etc. I metabolized some of them, but threw out all the rest. Not because they weren't valuable, but because I'm craving simplicity right now.

I'd recommend you get it if you're curious and also get Move your DNA. I'm connecting with that more than Built to Move. Same idea just different lens on it. Still not as simple as OS, but encouraging me to view my daily movement vs. just my training sessions.

Also, try getting them both at your library and save a few bucks, then you can buy the one you like.

I've read several OS books.
I've skimmed the Built to Move book, listened to a podcast from the authors and did most of their free digital program.

I don't think it's OS rebranded. There are different, unique vies of things.

I think there's value in the book for you if you're curious.

I personally find that OS is what has stuck for me because it's so simple ... Built to Move has dozens of exercises, etc. for different parts of you, etc. I metabolized some of them, but threw out all the rest. Not because they weren't valuable, but because I'm craving simplicity right now.

I'd recommend you get it if you're curious and also get Move your DNA. I'm connecting with that more than Built to Move. Same idea just different lens on it. Still not as simple as OS, but encouraging me to view my daily movement vs. just my training sessions.

Also, try getting them both at your library and save a few bucks, then you can buy the one you like.
Thanks. I also love the simplicity of OS. Good idea on checking out the library to test drive it!

I realized I never really answered the original question in my posts

I would not compare the concepts in Built to Move to OS. The following is only my interpretation, take from it what you will:

OS to me focuses more on tactics - here are some things that help you feel good and will likely help you move better (I still do rolls, rocks and crawls regularly but haven't explored much of the further movements or variations)

Built to Move also shows tactics, but also crosses moreover into the 'system' realm in that there's a more explicit test/retest.

I have not read Built to Move, but I have read a couple of Tim Anderson's books, and spent a significant portion of my own time learning about "movement." Just wanted to drop two cents:

I would look for books that are more princple-based than "drill- based." Everyone seems to have a slightly different interpretation of what "movement" and/or "mobilty" means. I have Move your DNA and enjoyed it. Have not read much Starrett.

For general health, the two biggest things you can learn about are the gait cycle and breathing. These are the two kinds of movements you do the most. Breathing is a given, and although many of us ought to walk more, sometimes (not always!) the way we walk and stand upright affects the way we move in general.

So learning some PRI (postural restoration institute) principles would be helpful. I am not a PRI fanatic; I think some of it's online proponents get a bit off in the weeds, but the core ideas are great. Conor Harris' youtube channel/blog is a good start. A lot of what he uses and demonstrates comes from PRI.

The book that had the biggest impact on my approach to movement in general is What the Foot? by Gary Ward. Life changing. While he does focus on the foot, it is his approach to how muscles and joints behave in systems that really changed things for me. You might benefit from some basic skeletal and muscular anatomy knowledge to understand certain parts. He's not suuuper technical, but you might get a bit lost if you don't know bones and muscles that well.

He is heavily focused on gait, and as such, some of the principles he puts forth need reframing when we are talking about training with weights or something. But for general movement overall, his ideas are gold, imo.

If you are interested in such things, I also suggest reading from as many different sources as you can, and then finding what common ground(s) they share. You might be surprised to see the diversity of approaches and ideas out there. Then, always see what approaches work for you.

You can never really go wrong learning basic anatomy, and then applying that knowledge to other peoples' movement approaches, and seeing what works for you. Learning joint and muscle actions is important, but it's equally important to remember that a great deal of anatomy books use "dead guy anatomy." That is, anatomy of a person being dissected on a table, NOT a person in motion. The actions/roles of certain muscles change based on position and the action of muscles which also attach to the same joint.

Thus, my suggestion for a broad approach, depending on how serious you are or how deep you want to go.

One of my favorite books on movement, other than ones already mentioned here, is Erwan LeCorre's The Practice of Natural Movement. No correctives or rehab/prehab types of movement here. Pure practical movement practices, very well written. There's also an Addendum that came out, didn't get a chance to read it yet though.

They have a free ebook when you register for the newsletter. It's a very small sample of what the whole book looks like.

With regards to breathing I enjoyed The Oxygen Advantage if you haven't read it.

Can't say anything about the book you mentioned, but I'm not a big fan of Kelly after having read Becoming Supple Leopard.

Last edited:
Did you go through this preview?

I think you'd get a lot more from the MovNat book from what I can see in this preview.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Kelly after having read Becoming Supple Leopard.
I hope not to start a debate between anyone, but would you care to share why (no pressure if not)? I am generally familiar with Starrett's work. I've used techniques he made popular, and since ditched them for things I felt work better for me.

I hope not to start a debate between anyone, but would you care to share why (no pressure if not)? I am generally familiar with Starrett's work. I've used techniques he made popular, and since ditched them for things I felt work better for me.
Well I don't like some of his form cues, most notably the knees out one (on squats and jumps). A few things just didn't seem right in other exercises where he prescribed/described certain ways of doing them. I'd have to go through the book again to list them but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Also his mobility approach of "smashing" muscles and just the way he talks about doing things just doesn't work or resonate with me. I still use some "pin and stretch/mobilise" techniques, just not by smashing myself with them. Not a big fan of the banded mobility work as I've never benefited from them when I tried them but I know they can be very useful. Same for the voodoo flossing.

There's still a lot of good stuff in his Supple Leopard book, just not my favorite author, I don't like his coaching/writing style.

Well I don't like some of his form cues, most notably the knees out one (on squats and jumps). A few things just didn't seem right in other exercises where he prescribed/described certain ways of doing them. I'd have to go through the book again to list them but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Also his mobility approach of "smashing" muscles and just the way he talks about doing things just doesn't work or resonate with me. I still use some "pin and stretch/mobilise" techniques, just not by smashing myself with them. Not a big fan of the banded mobility work as I've never benefited from them when I tried them but I know they can be very useful. Same for the voodoo flossing.

There's still a lot of good stuff in his Supple Leopard book, just not my favorite author, I don't like his coaching/writing style.
Seems like you and I are on similar wavelengths. I could have a thread about form cues and get half the forum mad at me I think

I could have a thread about form cues and get half the forum mad at me I think
It would make for an interesting thread.

Just go into it knowing that some people are going to be belligerently opposed to your opinions and thats OK. Literally every thread that someone states a belief has someone disagreeing with them.

I mean my basebuilding thread where I shared my opinion on doing a volume phase had someone basically saying "Your idea of working up to 8 sets of 5 is stupid. Work up to 8 sets of 3." People are going to nitpick nothings.

Last edited:
It would make for an interesting thread.

Just go into it knowing that some people are going to be belligerently opposed to your opinions and thats OK. Literally every thread that someone states a belief has someone disagreeing with them.

I mean my basebuilding thread where I shared my opinion on doing a volume phase had someone basically saying "Your idea of working up to 8 sets of 5 is stupid. Work up to 8 sets of 3." like there is a drastic functional long term difference with those two reps. People are going to nitpick nothings.
Don't tempt me!!

Back
Top Bottom