all posts post new thread

Old Forum Business story for The Party

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rob Lawrence

Level 3 Valued Member
This is from my FB page but I thought the party might enjoy.
Several years ago an executive I was advising was leading his team through the third difficult quarter in a row. He called me into his office and told me: "I am going to call a meeting with my team. I'm going to tell them that half of them are doing everything I need and more, but the other half are under-performing and need to step up."

I told him: "Don't do that. If you give that speech, the half who are overachieving will say 'God, what more does this guy want? Maybe it's time for me to leave.' The underachievers will look in the mirror and say 'Yep, I'm good. Stay the course.' That's why they're already your underachievers. Don't give the speech."

He took my advice.

Rob, here is how this story played out in Russia.

Nikolay Ezhov, the Soviet interior minister who was responsible for the repressions of the 1936-1939 (my grandfather was among those imprisoned) was also in charge of the merchant marine ministry.

Ezhov summoned regional merchant marinebosses to Moscow to report. Once several have taken their turns at the podium, a pattern showed. They complained about the lack of resources and claimed that they were unable to meet their goals. After three such reports a severe looking man in uniform and squeaking boots walked over to Ezhov, leaned over to his ear and whispered something. Once he squeaked back to his seat, the minister interrupted the man at the podium and addressed the assembly. “Comrades! The man who has just spoken to me is my assistant. He is no expert in marine matters but he has made a suggestion that I find useful. What if we picked a couple of people from this group of leaders and shot them? The rest would quickly find the needed reserves and get the work done, don’t you think?”

Facing deathly silence Ezhov apologized to the man on the podium for the interruption. Pale, the latter took a deep breath and assured the meeting that in spite of all the challenges they face, Soviet seamen will do everything to meet the objectives set by the Party. The audience exploded with applause.

Pavel,

why did I know that was going to be the solution :)?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom