all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can kettlebell swings replace running?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I love to run and I will always combine it with KBs. Even though the KB has all the focus now.
I used to run 4 or 5 times a week, now I'll settle for twice.

Like Steve said if you want to be a fast runner, you have to run.
However if you want to maintain your basic conditioning I think swings do just fine.

Would echo the comments above, working with kettlebells provides many benefits, you will be stronger and they'll improve body composition. TGU are a fantastic exercise and I've used S and S along with running to good effect. If you want to run competitively you will need to run but KB are a great tool to use in conjunction with your running.

If I may chime in...

Swings (in my experience done as in S&S), can definitely replace running if you had previously been using running as a means of GPP (General Physical Preparedness). I myself now believe that S&S/A+A swings can totally replace running for preparing for amateur boxing (speaking from personal experience - I don't want anyone hating me because my fight prep didn't work for them ;) ). So yes, if running ability isn't at the top of your list of priorities, then swings can certainly replace it as a means of 'cardio' (while also maintaining a decent level of running ability; in my case, following a period in which I did 2 months of virtually daily S&S training and no regular running at all, upon testing, I could still do 3 miles in just under 22 minutes if I recall correctly).

However, as has already been said, if you want to run, then run. Just decide on your training goals and priorities.

In my case, swings (and particularly snatches) certainly can and did replace running, which has kept my knees happy with me for more than a decade now.

I'll preface this with the obligatory "your mileage may vary" and that I in no way intend disrespect to anyone who disagrees with my position on the matter. I'm on active duty, and as such I'm obligated to run semi-annually for the physical fitness test. That said, I'm consistently one of the top finishers (if not first place) with zero miles logged in preparation for the event, and up against dudes often times half my age who train specifically by running. All these years later, and swings/snatches keep me just about as fast as when I was a high mileage teenager.

Once again, this anecdote may or may not apply to you, but I do believe that I'm not an anomaly in this regard--there are other folks who have stopped pounding the pavement in favor of kettlebell ballistics and found that they didn't lose much, if anything, when they're tested.

Hello,

In my case, swings perfectly replace running. This is particularly true if you do them with long sets (so high reps) and short rest period. Besides, your training sessions will be shorter. I'd say you can even progress in running doing swings !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not if you have a running component on a fitness test and you are wanting to score well, and/or you are overweight.

Hello everyone,

Mr. Ciampa, could you please explain this further?

I wouldn't consider myself "overweight": I'm 1.75 m tall and I weight 75 kg. Anyways, I'm looking to improve body composition and loose fat mass while gaining some muscles. A combination of a personalized single kettlebell complex layed out by an SFG II coach and S&S are doing very well for me. I feel fatigued but not beaten by the complex and can finish a S&S session in roughly 4:50 minutes for the swings and 7:30 for the TGUs, again feeling worked up but not winded. Weights are 16 kg for the complex, 16 kg X 1 / 24 kg X 4 for the S&S.

I haven't got any running component on my training regimen.

I should also mention that running is my least favorite fitness activity, and that before attending personal training session with the SFG II coach I mentioned above I followed a begginer running protocol and was able to run at a comfortable pace three times per week for 36, 39 and 42 minutes respectivly. Since I started kettlebell training with a better and deeper understanding of the Strong Firs principles, I never ran again and noticed that my body fat keeps dropping (also because I'm very much more careful of what and how much I eat) while lean mass augments.

Mentally, avoiding running in favor of harder kettlebell practice has given me a WHOLE DIFFERENT mindset, as I know can see and feel (I grow stronger by the day and life's easier) results while doing something that I actually enjoy and not that I feel like I MUST do.

Based on all the above, is it possible to keep avoiding running (my knees would be happier too) and expeting to see increasing results?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Maq
Reasonable Kettlebell work plus some ropeskipping practice (in my opinion very good transfer to running technique to get away from heel striking) to condition or keep conditioned feet, ankles, calves and tendons should prepare one not beeing afraid to go for a run for about half an hour and some.
As preposters said, when it gets specific, get specific. And higher volume bodyweight work is easier for the svelte, for obvious reasons.

I'd like to add (should have mentioned this in my first post really), that daily S&S training plus a keen (but not overly obsessive) eye on my diet got me in the best shape of my life in terms of body composition (sub-10% BF - faint six pack ('faint' in the sense of not being massively muscular) and veins on biceps and shoulders), and I mean better than when I ran on a regular basis. I've since been far less strict on diet (and also less active, for reasons which I will discuss in a forum post soon) but have no doubt that I could get back to the same sort of body fat levels without having to run.

Of course, those who are actually 'overweight' might not have as much success without running, as Mr. Ciampa seems to have hinted at. I suppose if one is overweight, then the idea of calories in vs calories out might have to be more strictly enforced? If so, I guess running is a good call since it is no doubt a big calorie burner.

Mr. Ciampa, could you please explain this further?

Yes. I should have first asked, "replace running how"? If you use running to lose weight or for cardio-respiratory conditioning, then absolutely yes.

However, if you have a tested run as part of a physical fitness test, it is my experience that it is uncommon for individuals to give up running and still max their run component. Uncommon means that it occurs, but it is not frequent.

If you combine this with increased body weight (fat or muscle), the above results then to be amplified; re: you run even slower.

Again, there are those, like @J Petersen who experienced a different outcome, and I can go into my suspicions why, but I will default to recommending not completely abstaining for running if you have a running test.

Why? Because knowing the human psyche, if I were to post to a forum that some folks can completely give up running for KB ballistics and max their run test, they will not listen to any caveats such as, "YMMV", or, "this is not common but"... they will only hear, "I can give up running and still max my test".

So I tend to post with caution.

FWIW, it's still not clear to me if anyone asking about giving up running has a running test they need to take, or a 5k race they want to set a PR in, or similar.

-S-

I agree, it is far too ambiguous to ask if something can replace another thing without knowing why one is doing either of the things.

In general, if you want to practise some task, it is the best to practise the specific task instead of something else. If one has to run, one has to run.

reading article in Strength Matters magazine about VO2MAX snatching and comparison to running, swimming etc... conclusion was that running,swimming etc is better due to lack of restriction of blood flow (As contractions are very short ), but it can be used, its just another tool, but if you need to be better runner you will have to run sometime.. as per SAID principle.

Again, there are those, like @J Petersen who experienced a different outcome, and I can go into my suspicions why, but I will default to recommending not completely abstaining for running if you have a running test.

Agreed. My suspicion, because I have personally experienced both scenarios:
For the "top 10%" - those who do powerful, explosive swings very consistently, it is enough to better your running performance (i.e. 1.5 mile run for time) without actually running.
For the "other 90%" - those who do average swings with only some regularity, it is not.

@aciampa thank you very much, Sir!

I'm sooooo happy I skip running sessions for as long as I do kettlebell training... Which I hope will be for a long time!

Thank you all for the feedback. I know it's optimal to do both now. Just where I live. The winter air gets really really bad. So all local news tell you to stay inside. I don't like running in place, also I like the no impact exercise of kettlebell swings.

Thank you all for the feedback. I know it's optimal to do both now. Just where I live. The winter air gets really really bad. So all local news tell you to stay inside. I don't like running in place, also I like the no impact exercise of kettlebell swings.

Run/swing in spring, summer and fall.

Swing in winter.

From my own experience, I have always disliked running and therefore avoided it. I am an overweight, larger person and there would always be pain involved when I ran. this year, after quite a bit of kettlebell work (mostly swings and loaded carries), I found that there was not the pain limitation (side stitches, even shin splints) that I had before, only cardiovascular fitness. I still can't run with ease, but it is night and day as to before! I am on S&S now and will return to see what running progress I have made in 3 months or so. I would still characterize myself as 'Un-Fit', but getting better!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom