all posts post new thread

Old Forum Can't do Prying goblet squat, any alternatives?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shinigami

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I read the post by (I'm assuming BW stands for Bruce Wayne) Batman on prying goblet squats and while one person suggested to do the warmups from ETK, Pavel himself just said, if you can do deadlifts then you can do S&S.

While that is awesome, I was wondering what I should do for warmup stretches, like BW, I'm unable to do a prying goblet squat. In fact I have trouble doing a perfect air squat, due to tightness in my groin area, I'm guessing that's the part which is tight, if anyone else has any theories on it I'm more than willing to listen.

My question is what should I do for warmup/pre workout stretches given that I can't do the prying goblet squat. The gym I go to has one of these http://bit.ly/1cBVoa3 should I use this to aid me with squats and pry my hips? Or should I forget about prying goblet squats and do something else?

Thank you all in advance.

James, have you tried rocking on all fours or the tactical frog stretch? The tightness in your groin could be self-protective contraction versus a restriction. By adding the extra support with your hands and knees on the ground, you may be able to relax and get more mobility. You could then progress to rocking with knees off the ground, then a supported squat (hands holding onto stationary object), and then to the goblet squat.

Would love to hear how those work for you .

You might have a look at "Hip Flexibility Solution" by Eric Wong. Very good very comprehensive hip program.

Thank you guys for helping me out. Joe, thanks for answering, I've seen your posts all over the forum threads, so thanks a bunch. Never had I before heard of the tactical frog stretch, I'll try your suggestions thanks.

Here's a video of Tim Anderson demonstrating rocking:

http://youtu.be/0CgJKPAyw5Q

Another squat stretch that I really like uses a Jump Stretch type band (the average size works well for me).

Anchor one end of the band at waist level to a sturdy object such as the upright of a power rack, fence post, etc. (lots of companies also make door anchors for use with bands or suspension trainers that will work).

Step inside the band and position it around the bottom of your butt. Then back away from the anchor point to put a stretch on the band. Now squat down.

Instead of using a counterbalance as in the goblet squat, the band applies force directly to the hips and has a different feel than the goblet squat that may allow you to get a better low position.

From the low position, you can pry in various ways, in addition to the basic elbows inside knees. You can do hip rotations such as in this video by Ido Portal:

http://youtu.be/xPwG2hqnOx0?t=43s

You can keep one elbow inside the knee and extend the opposite arm overhead (good for thoracic extension). And you can extend one leg cossack style. In all positions, find ways to shift around and pry in different ways to get things loosened up.

This band squat stretch has also had positive effects on my ankle mobility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom