all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Cardio help

Stavros1

Level 3 Valued Member
I would like some help with a workout plan. The thing is, I’m very satisfied with my current routine (takes about an hour to complete, including warm-up and core training).

Workout A - Bench Press and Cleans: 6/6, 12/6, 19/6, 27/6

1. Plyometric exercises: Box Jumps - 3 sets
2. Hang Cleans - 3 sets x 5 reps (55) (dumbbell 3x5 20)
3. Bench Press - 4 sets x 10 (70), 75 (75), 80 (6), 4 (85), 3 (90), 2 (92.5)
4. Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 8 reps (60) dumbbell 3x10 (27.5)
5. Cable High Pull - 4 sets x 8 reps (36.25)
6. Hypertrophy exercises:
• Hammer Curl - 3 sets x 10 reps (15)
• Leg Extensions - 3 sets x 10 reps (54)
• Triceps Pushdowns - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.50)

Workout B - Squats:
8/6, 14/6, 28/6

1. Plyometric exercises: Med Ball Slams - 3 sets x 5 reps
2. Squats - 4 sets x 10 (70), 8 (80), 6 (85), 4 (90), 5 (95), 5 (100)
3. Reverse Lunges - 3 sets x 8+ (60)
4. Romanian Deadlift - 3 sets x 8 reps (70)
5. Hypertrophy exercises:
• Rear Delt Raise - 3 sets x 10 reps
• Gorilla Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.5)
• Leg Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps (53)
Workout C - Cleans and Shoulder Press:
17/6, 22/6

1. Plyometric exercises: Box to Broad Jumps - 3 sets x 3 reps
2. Cleans - 3 sets x 5 reps (50)
3. Press - 4 sets x 10 (40), 8 (45), 6 (50), 4 (55), 3 (57.5), 60 (1)
4. Half Kneeling Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (17.5)
5. Straight Pushdowns - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.50)
• High to Low Crossover - 3 sets x 12 reps (15)
• Hammer Curl - 3 sets x 10 reps (12.5)

Workout D - Deadlift and Hypertrophy:
18/6, 24/6

2. Deadlift - 4 sets x 10 (65), 8 (85), 6 (105), 4 (125), 2x2 (145)
3. Leg Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (95)
4. Hip Thrust - 3 sets x 8 reps (100)
5. Dips - 3 sets x 16 reps (10)
• Lateral Delt Cable Raise - 3 sets x 12 reps (5)
• French Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (25)
• Leg Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps (46)

I know it’s silly to change a winning concept, but I would like help incorporating cardio training. I don’t have time in my daily life to do it separately, and I want to continue with my current four gym workouts per week but add cardio during or at the end of the session. Do you have any tips?

I am an older guy, so I would not be able to handle the volume in your training. With that being said, not knowing your current "Fitness/Health" levels, I would just start with simply waling 20-30 minutes a day or on your non-lifting days. You can eventually mix it up with some kettlebell work such as swings, snatches etc., assuming you utilize good technique. Jump rope intervals are a favorite of mine. So much information out there. Just be careful not to overtrain which could lead to overuse injuries.

Hello,

Would it be possible to do something like:
Day 1: A
Day 2: B
Day 3: Cardio
Day 4: C
Day 5: D
Day 6: Cardio
Day 7: Off

For cardio, I'd do something easy, in the aerobic zone (Z2), for 30-40+ minutes (up to 1 hour if that's the time you have). It can be running, rucking, cycling, swimming,...

Having an easy day in the middle of the week may also help you to recover.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would like some help with a workout plan.
That's a complex workout schedule. My suggestion: read "Kettlebell Simple and Sinister" and "The Quick and the Dead," both by Pavel, to learn about the benefits of minimalism and the benefits of kettlebell ballistics. Then figure out a way to incorporate some kettlebells swings, which are a very time-efficient way to get some cardio, into your training.

-S-

What does "cardio" mean? If you mean long steady state (zone 2) then there is no shortcut. You need to find time in the day or on off days and put in the roadwork. If you just mean general cardio/get your wind up then just superset/giant set your exercises and compress the rest periods. If thats the kind of GPP you are looking for I strongly suggest looking into Brian Alsruhe on YouTube. Hes a master of doing a lot in a little bit of time via Giant Sets.

You are doing a lot of work already and will need to reconfigure it to include cardio in the same session. Don't add more exercises to those sessions.

Alternatively as other have suggested drop a session and include a couple of days of LISS aka zone 2 cardio. Use of KB swings (after you have learnt to do them correctly, to avoid being sidelined by injury) is another clever approach as suggested above. Also, sequencing of your session can be used eg (press-pull-squat- hinge) for several rounds with some compression of rest periods. This spreads the load using different muscles and combined with a bit less rest will get the heart pumping more. Many options.

Recovery between sessions is a key ingredient in hypertrophy\body building, you may even find you progress further with a slight reduction in stimulus. Many people over-train and procede slower than they otherwise would.

I would like some help with a workout plan. The thing is, I’m very satisfied with my current routine (takes about an hour to complete, including warm-up and core training).

Workout A - Bench Press and Cleans: 6/6, 12/6, 19/6, 27/6

2. Hang Cleans - 3 sets x 5 reps (55) (dumbbell 3x5 20)
• Hammer Curl - 3 sets x 10 reps (15)
• Triceps Pushdowns - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.50)

Workout B - Squats:
8/6, 14/6, 28/6

1. Plyometric exercises: Med Ball Slams - 3 sets x 5 reps
2. Squats - 4 sets x 10 (70), 8 (80), 6 (85), 4 (90), 5 (95), 5 (100)
3. Reverse Lunges - 3 sets x 8+ (60)
4. Romanian Deadlift - 3 sets x 8 reps (70)
5. Hypertrophy exercises:
• Rear Delt Raise - 3 sets x 10 reps
• Gorilla Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.5)
• Leg Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps (53)
Workout C - Cleans and Shoulder Press:
17/6, 22/6

1. Plyometric exercises: Box to Broad Jumps - 3 sets x 3 reps
2. Cleans - 3 sets x 5 reps (50)
3. Press - 4 sets x 10 (40), 8 (45), 6 (50), 4 (55), 3 (57.5), 60 (1)
4. Half Kneeling Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (17.5)
5. Straight Pushdowns - 3 sets x 10 reps (32.50)
• High to Low Crossover - 3 sets x 12 reps (15)
• Hammer Curl - 3 sets x 10 reps (12.5)

Workout D - Deadlift and Hypertrophy:
18/6, 24/6

2. Deadlift - 4 sets x 10 (65), 8 (85), 6 (105), 4 (125), 2x2 (145)
3. Leg Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (95)
4. Hip Thrust - 3 sets x 8 reps (100)
5. Dips - 3 sets x 16 reps (10)
• Lateral Delt Cable Raise - 3 sets x 12 reps (5)
• French Press - 3 sets x 10 reps (25)
• Leg Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps (46)

I know it’s silly to change a winning concept, but I would like help incorporating cardio training. I don’t have time in my daily life to do it separately, and I want to continue with my current four gym workouts per week but add cardio during or at the end of the session. Do you have any tips?

Cut out all the froo froo beach body building work and stick in moderate intensity cardio.

Not to say froo froo beach work isn't fun -- I love it, too.

But if time is constrained, it's not as important as cardio.

Last edited:
What does "cardio" mean? If you mean long steady state (zone 2) then there is no shortcut. You need to find time in the day or on off days and put in the roadwork
yes, I agree. I would start with a weekly 20-30min walk with a moderate to light kettlebell and do various tricks(stop every few minutes for a few snatches, C+J, swings) and carries (waiters, rack, suitcase) along the way. if you're really serious about this, then add a weekly slow walk/jog of 60+minutes. my general weekly plan is below. I sometimes miss 1of2 short hard runs when I get home too late, and end up with a rest or something else (e.g. gymn rings), I may juggle the order of days and usually get everything else done in the 7 days
day 1(saturday) - A+A
2 - long slow jog/walk (+-90 min on average)
3 - rest
4 - short hard tempo run
5 - A+A
6 - 30min walk with KB
7 - short hard interval run

I would like some help with a workout plan.
Complex Workout Schedule

As per...
That's a complex workout schedule.
While I admire your ambitionous and fortitude with your workout plan, it is a bit too much.

"Stimulate, Don't Anihilate"
Lee Haney, Former Mr Olympia

The training objective is to perform enough work to stilumate gains in strength and size and avoid performing so much work that it dampens or anihilates your gains.

Training Intensity

One of the primary keys to gains is the Training Intensity.

"You can train hard or long but not both."
Vince Gironda, One of the Greatest Bodybuilding Coaches there was.

There is an Inverse Relationship between Intensity and Time.

When Time (Volume) goes up, Intensity goes down.

When Intensity goes up, Time (Volume) goes down.

Bench Pressing Less

Performing 4 sets of 10 Repetition and then Pyramiding up to a heavier Set of 2 Reps, ensure you Top Bench Press is less than it could be.

Warm Up

The purpose of a Warm Up is to perform the minimal amout of work necessary to prepare you for your Top Set; regardless of it is 2 or 10 Repetitions.

Bench Press Warm Up Example

Set 1: 60 ls X 5

Set 2: 80 lbs X 3

Set 3: 90 X 1

Set 4: 100 lb plus X 1 or more Reps.

After your Top Heavy Set, you can then and perform some Lighter Down Set of 10 Repetions with let's say 60 lbs.

Exercise Sequence Order

4. Cable High Pull

5. Incline Bench

This order provides allows recover between the Bench Press and Incline Press, which involve the same muscle groups; allowing you to use slightly more with the Incline Press.

Secondly, the Bench Press has ensure the muscle for the Incline Press are Warmed Up and ready to do. Thus, fewer Warm Up are necessary.

A Good Rule of Thumb

With a plan like yours, alternating Agonist and Antagonist Exericse allow for better recovery between exercises.

Example

Alternationg a Pushing Exerice like the Bench Press with a Pulling Exercise such as Cable High Pulls.

For the Lower Body, alternating a Pushing Movement like a Squat or Leg Press with a Pulling Movement like a Clean or a Romanian Deadlift.

Cardio Training

High Intensity Interval Training is one of the most effective methods. Research (prevously posted) has demonstrated that it increase both Aerobic and Anerobic Capacity.

One of the most effective method is, based on Dr Jamie Timmons research.

How To Get Fit With 3 Minutes Of Exercise A Week: BBC Doc Tries "HIT"

This High Intensity Interval Training Protocol take less than 10 minutes.

This example is given for a Bike but can be applied to Running Sprints, Rowing, etc.

he HIT program he asked Mosley to follow was quite simple and can be done on a standard exercise bike:
  1. First, you warm up for a couple of minutes with some gentle cycling: then you cycle as fast as you possibly can (“hell for leather”, as Mosley describes it) for 20 seconds.
  2. Then, you cycle gently again for a couple of minutes while you catch your breath, then do another 20 seconds “flat out”.
  3. Then, for a final time, two minutes gentle cycling to catch your breath, followed the third period of 20 seconds at “full throttle”.
And that’s it. Do this HIT program three times a week, and you have a total of 3 minutes a week of intensive pedalling, and about 6 minutes of gentle pedalling.

Mosley said he was somewhat sceptical, but he did as Timmons instructed: he followed this HIT program for four weeks, totalling 12 minutes of pedalling at “full throttle” and 36 minutes at a gentle pace.

Recommendatiion

Based on your present training plan, this HIIT Program should limited to twice a week to ensure you don't OverTrain.

A Good Plan

This is a good suggestion.

Would it be possible to do something like:
Day 1: A
Day 2: B
Day 3: Cardio
Day 4: C
Day 5: D
Day 6: Cardio
Day 7: Off

Maybe you can find time for this:

-S-

I must say you guys have been more than helpful so far! I would greatly appreciate more advise but this has been great so far!

I must say you guys have been more than helpful so far! I would greatly appreciate more advise but this has been great so far!
What are you trying to achieve with your training? In other words… what are your goals?

To achieve whatever those are, your activities need to support that. That includes ‘cardio’, and how you might incorporate it. A few swings here and there might be what you need, or it could be two hour Z2 runs…

The same logic holds true for all that other training you are doing.

You can't do everything all at once.

Two very simple ideas that I don't think will mess up your lifting -

The first - don't change anything about your lifting schedule. You like it, it's working. Just start adding walking into your life. This will be more of a scheduling than fitness challenge so approach it as such. Start by adding 10 minute walks on all your off days. Yes, you can do more. But we're building habit here. Once you nail that, increase to 15 minutes. If you can get yourself up to an hour of walking on all your off days (even if it's two thirty minute blocks) you should be good. Throw in 30 minutes walking on your lifting days and you'll be even better.

Second idea - don't mess with your lifting schedule. You like it, it's working. Just get up a few minutes early and add an easy (to start) BW circuit. Push ups, squats. Burpees, jumping jacks. Lunges. Start with 5 minutes every morning and increase. (If you can do KB swings, etc. at home, that's great too). Just break a sweat, get the HR up.

Not everything has to be "hard." Hard lifting/easy cardio. Hard cardio/easy lifting.

What about dropping one session and replacing with a combined session such as that described in this article by Pavel.
The article actually says not to replace your strength training.
It is just that I'd need a few more rest days personally.

2x per week, textbook Tabata HIIT or as close to it as you can manage. I agree with some of the other comments re the complexity of your current schedule. But, if you don't have time for cardio and are unwilling to make time, HIIT fits in to a small timeframe and delivers a solid return.

Back
Top Bottom