all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Chuck Taylor shoe sale today

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Is it just me or have Chuck Taylors become so fashionable looking lately that I feel bad using them as training shoes? I bought a pair a few months ago thinking I would use them to replace my last pair but instead I use them as a casual outfit shoe. So I bought a pair of Feiyue shoes instead which I prefer over the Chuck Taylors now for kettlebell training.

@dnguyen411
Personally CT's aren't wide enough in the toe box for me to use, I have some for beaters but don't use them much.
I just got some Vivobarefoot Primus Trail FG's, not cheap but they're awesome minimalist shoes for walk/run, training KB's too but I prefer barefoot for that..

Adidas Sambas are supposed to be really good too

I bought a pair of Feiyue shoes instead which I prefer over the Chuck Taylors now for kettlebell training.
Are you in the U.S.? If so how do you know what size to get? The website isn't very helpful at all..

How big is the toe box? I have wide feet and if the toe box doesn't stretch or mold to my feet it squeezes the toes too much.

Feiyues are $20 a pair - not so terrible if you don't get the size quite right. I have a wide foot, which Chuck Taylors accommodate but just barely. I love my Feiyues. It's not much shoe, about as close to barefoot as you'll get short of Vibram 5-fingers or similar.

-S-

Are you in the U.S.? If so how do you know what size to get? The website isn't very helpful at all..

How big is the toe box? I have wide feet and if the toe box doesn't stretch or mold to my feet it squeezes the toes too much.

After exhausting searching, I ended up buying mine from eBay (Link). They post equivalent EU to US sizes here. I bought the EU 45 as I have a size US 11 shoe size. I found the chart on the eBay page to be quite accurate for my feet. YMMV.

After exhausting searching, I ended up buying mine from eBay (Link). They post equivalent EU to US sizes here. I bought the EU 45 as I have a size US 11 shoe size. I found the chart on the eBay page to be quite accurate for my feet. YMMV.

Thanks for the link, did the shoes come with laces? None are shown in the product photos. I'm a size 11 too, how is the toe width for you?

Thanks for the link, did the shoes come with laces? None are shown in the product photos. I'm a size 11 too, how is the toe width for you?
Yes, they came with laces. I guess I didn’t pay too close attention to the picture.

For me, the toe width is fine. There’s not much play left in the width for me so if you have a wide foot size, you may have a little trouble. However, I found that the shoes weren’t so ridged that the shoe couldn’t stretch a little to accommodate a larger width. But to be safe, maybe buy one size higher than recommended. So EU 46 vs 45.

Yes, they came with laces. I guess I didn’t pay too close attention to the picture.

For me, the toe width is fine. There’s not much play left in the width for me so if you have a wide foot size, you may have a little trouble. However, I found that the shoes weren’t so ridged that the shoe couldn’t stretch a little to accommodate a larger width. But to be safe, maybe buy one size higher than recommended. So EU 46 vs 45.
Thanks much for all the info (y) I really appreciate it

Not sure which on you are referring to exactly. But there are two different Chuck Taylor's now. One is the original canvas shoe with little insole. The other is a newer model they came out with a few years back with more insole.

An issue I have with them is that Converse is owned by Nike.

I've had some Merrill minimalist running shoes that had a wide toe box and were excellent for KB training.

An issue I have with them is that Converse is owned by Nike
+1

If only I had known, the Merrills look good.. are they related to Vibrams, it says so in the pictures?

Men's Vapor Glove 3 Luna Leather

Last edited:
+1

If only I had known, the Merrills look good.. are they related to Vibrams, it says so in the pictures?

Men's Vapor Glove 3 Luna Leather

I'm not sure Ryan, could be but I know Merrill is a separate company that makes boots and hiking/running shoes. I always thought Vibram was just a boot sole.

I like Feiyue but if I wear them “out and about”the soles go awfully quick. Got my boy a pair of shoes from Tadeevo minimalist shoes and they seem like the ticket in terms of similar shoe with a robust sole... going to be my next purchase. Price point probably balances out between multiple Feiyue and a pair of tadeevo but I hate needing new shoes so fast

I like Feiyue but if I wear them “out and about”the soles go awfully quick. Got my boy a pair of shoes from Tadeevo minimalist shoes and they seem like the ticket in terms of similar shoe with a robust sole... going to be my next purchase. Price point probably balances out between multiple Feiyue and a pair of tadeevo but I hate needing new shoes so fast

When I received my Feiyue’s, I quickly determined they would never be more than an indoor, kettlebell shoe. Which is fine as I will spend more for an everyday shoe. So far, I haven’t seen any signs of them breaking down in my training sessions.

Does the sizing run the same? I wear a 41 Feiyou.

Thanks.

-S-

Not sure, I've only ordered a kids shoe size so far... it seemed a little on the big size but that might not carry over and/or be an artifact of the size conversion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom