all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean and press breathing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DrFierce

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been trying to figure out how to breath for clean and press. I'm doing ladders up to five.

I definitely inhaled on the drop/backswing.

Do I inhale on clean and hold breath during upward part of press? Or do I pause, inhale, then exhale on the press?

NB did some googling around and even found this thread in the forum (Military Press Breathing) but still could not find a good answer.

I feel stronger with the inhale on drop,exhale on press.
Just to clarify, do you
1. Inhale on drop, hold breath on clean to rack, and exhale on press
2. Inhale on drop, exhale through clean to rack AND press
3. Inhale on drop, exhale on on clean to rack, inhale on rack, and exhale on press (using two breaths)

I know these are anal questions-- I've been playing around and mostly doing 3, but it does not "feel" quite right.
NB these are on military presses, not push presses, although I'm not convinced it matters

Door #1, and sometimes I will go 2 reps with one breathing cycle. For me ( and several students/clients ) if I exhale at the rack I have to grab full body tension all over again prior to the press.
Thanks so much that is incredibly useful. I think that was my issue with #3 although I was unable to articulate it as such.

Thanks so much that is incredibly useful. I think that was my issue with #3 although I was unable to articulate it as such.
Very rarely have I had to instruct someone to breathe more, very common for me to help someone correct their over-breathing,which generally brings greater strength and less fatigue, overall performace improvements.

Using power breathing i did: Short exhale on clean. Short inhale in rack. Longer exhale during press. Longer inhale during lowering.

Then let out some more air in the rack. And inhale normally during the backswing.

Sounds a bit complicated but it came pretty naturally to me once I slowed down a bit. At first I was rushing through the clean and press.

I tend to inhale on the drop (or at the bottom if doing dead cleans), then exhale either in the rack or on the way down to the rack from the top.

Using power breathing i did: Short exhale on clean. Short inhale in rack. Longer exhale during press. Longer inhale during lowering.

Then let out some more air in the rack. And inhale normally during the backswing.

Sounds a bit complicated but it came pretty naturally to me once I slowed down a bit. At first I was rushing through the clean and press.

That's what I do.

By using half breaths I can keep 'the shield' / pelvic floor engaged the whole time.

Same breathing you use in a pilates 100 exercise.

I choose breathing pattern according to the pressing task:
1) For max strength (1-3 reps) I hold breath .
2) 4-7 reps - exhale when pressing.
3) When working for press endurance, I inhale when launching the bell from the shoulder and exhale half-way up. The same dropping the bell. This pattern is influenced by kettlebell sport practice.
I do not use a long cycle clean&press, but would follow the same pattern for the clean in each case.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom