all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean 'Em Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JamesPTA

Level 7 Valued Member
Good morning,

I currently running through Clean 'Em Up from MKM by Mr. Neupert using my 16s. I have a question regarding the double snatch. This is the first time I am using the double snatch in complexes, and in the past, I have stayed true to the ROTK suggestion that you lower the bells down into the rack position after each rep.

Heavy day calls for :

Cleans
Press
Snatch
Front Squat
Press

I have noticed by the time I get to the last round of presses, my shoulder can get a little fatigued if I lower the bells into the rack from the snatch. However, the fatigue is not as intense if I drop the bells between the knees and explode back into the snatch. Less time under tension.

My question is, at a light load with the 16s, would you guys advise against this practice? And, how many of you drop the bells between the knees vs lowering into the rack?

My humble advice as someone who has gone through. many Neupert complexes:

Drop them to the rack. Keep it safe, although you feel they are light your lower back is still at risk. Work on gaining strength in your shoulders and come back to the program or add to tbe recovery period.

Drop them to the rack. Keep it safe, although you feel they are light your lower back is still at risk. Work on gaining strength in your shoulders and come back to the program or add to tbe recovery period.

I thought about that, but then again I completed the entire Total Tension Complex with 24s and met the ROP 1/2 BW goals back in august,so I would hope strength is an issue with the 16s.

After I made the initial post, I realize that I had miscalculated to recommended rest periods. That is going to make a difference. Again, the fatigue was minor but noticeable on the last set, but I suppose that's what I should expect on heavy day.

Last edited:
@JamesPTA , miscalculation of the rest periods, in particular cutting them too short even by 10 seconds can have a big impact on your ability to continue in a "Neupert" complex as I'm sure many others can attest.

You certainly are strong enough based upon whatyou posted! However, as I'm sure you now know.....complexes require you to check egos at the door!

This is the way Geoff recommends, and it's the ONLY way with heavier bells.

After a few runs through Geoff's complexes in Kettlebell Muscle, I feel one of the big keys to its effectiveness is the time under tension, and especially the time you spend zipped up in the rack position, so it's not something I would encourage anyone to avoid.

As @John Grahill mentions, one alternative is to increase the rest periods, and/or you could cut the reps per set and build up to the specified number.

I suppose that's what I should expect on heavy day.
miscalculation of the rest periods, in particular cutting them too short even by 10 seconds can have a big impact on your ability to continue in a "Neupert" complex as I'm sure many others can attest.

In KBM, heavy day, and even medium day, is a fight. Given the right bell size, it's hard enough so you doubt you can do it while you are doing it. It's kind of diabolical how it's timed so you have to fight hard, but can still make it through. If you are between bell sizes and have to go a little heavier than ideal, you may need to do a scaled back break-in period as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Always bring them into the rack so you don't kneecap yourself. When I do these complexes the two things that get me are the fatigue in the shoulders and the grip. I like doing double snatches outside the knees. I get better hip snap as well as feel my back is in a safer position.

Update:

Today was another heavy volume. 2 minutes work with 4 minutes rest. I was able to perform all sets without incident, even with the additional set as well as bringing the bells back to the rack position.

I appreciate all of your feedback!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom