all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Combining RoP with AXE

Bearnus

First Post
Greetings,

Versions of this have been covered in the forums before, however never quite with my specific parameters in mind. I'm hoping the extensive experience in these forums could help with my question.

CAVEAT: I know the whole point is not to mess with the program. And generally speaking I am not a variety junky. I stuck with S&S for a couple of years and loved the results. That being said, I have reasonably good interoception, and know when I need to change something in a program.

Why RoP
I have always had a weak press in comparison to other lifts, and so have decided to do Rite of Passage to increase my press volume without neglecting pulling. I include pull-ups in my ladder. After six weeks I am enjoying the results, and feel a subjective improvement in my press, and a surprising amount of hypertrophy in the shoulder.

Broader Training Goal
I can sometimes briefly emphasise one fitness domain over another but need to maintain a high level of general physical performance, including endurance. I want stronger shoulders to protect them in BJJ, but can't afford to lose significant leg strength, aerobic endurance or get injured. Outside of the training mentioned in this question, I train in BJJ and long, slow endurance running/tabbing.

Problem
I feel the high-intensity swings or snatches in RoP are beating me down a bit too much. This is likely due to fatigue from my BJJ training load, usually 4 hours a week, half of which is high intensity sparring. Given the way the swings are programmed, they have me blast through the StrongFirst Stop Signs in an effort to hit RPEs of 8 or 10 on the moderate to heavy days, and frankly I probably go a bit to hard on the easy snatch day (my fault I know).

This may be my fault, I may be using too heavy a bell, the kinds of weight I would use for S&S or AXE. Perhaps the fix is to reduce the weight, but then I am not sure I really need the kind of low weight high intensity training, given my already high volume of high intensity minutes in the week.

I am also not convinced, given the high volume of cleans and pull-ups, that my pulling movements need a huge amount more training load, and am somewhat puzzled by the role of the swing/snatch efforts in the program. (It makes sense to me if you do no other training alongside RoP)

I also worry that my lower body pushing strength is slightly neglected during RoP. This may be a necessary trade off as I am focussing on improving my press, but I have usually tolerated power and strength training well, and improved strength in more than one lift simultaneously.

My question:

Given that I am getting plenty of high intensity minutes training on the BJJ matts, and I am slowly improving my hard to train press, is there any downside to dropping the dice-programmed swings?

I would look to replace them with AXE jump-squats twice a week, and I would keep the snatches on the easy day (and try and take it easy!)

I would also get some AXE heavy swings in on variety days, or alongside the jump squats, to keep my maximal hip-hinge strength maintained, or improving.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts from the forums. Perhaps I am simply seeking to squeeze too much out of a program that has one simple goal in mind. But I notice in the KB AXE book that heavy AXE swings were effective in preparation for the USSS Snatch Test, which is also the metric that the RoP timed dice-programmed swings are preparing athletes for. Given the result is the same, I would prefer to do the more powerful, less glycolytic option.

Sincere apologies if this has been extensively covered elsewhere!

I'm not sure that jump squats have much advantage over kettlebell swings. Certainly swings are a safer alternative with similar results.
Look at this Kettlebell - The 5 Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Program
Its a 5 week program using sets of 7 swings and descending press and pullup ladders.
Not that far from ROP (without the swings/snatches) plus AXE swings. So I'd say do the ROP ladders one day and AXE swings the next.
Geoff Neupert's Easy Muscle - Shedule B may also fit your goals.

I have reasonably good interoception, and know when I need to change something in a program.
AutoRegulation

Before we start, you did a great job of breaking everything down.

AutoRegulation, knowing when to change something, is one of the keys to making progress. This is overlooked, over ridden and misunderstood by most.
I feel the high-intensity swings or snatches in RoP are beating me down a bit too much. This is likely due to fatigue from my BJJ training load, usually 4 hours a week, half of which is high intensity sparring.

Juggling Act

This is definitely a juggling act that you need to experiment to figure out.

It like the Goldilock Fable where you need figure what approach is optimal.

I may be using too heavy a bell, the kinds of weight I would use for S&S or AXE. Perhaps the fix is to reduce the weight, but then I am not sure I really need the kind of low weight high intensity training, ...
Kettlebell Low Weight, High Intensity Swings

I am not quite sure how you are defining this.

Low Weight Kettlebell Swings usually end being High Repetition Endurance Training.

given my already high volume of high intensity minutes in the week. Given that I am getting plenty of high intensity minutes training on the BJJ matts,
Good Observation

Your "Already high volume of intensity" is enough.

is there any downside to dropping the dice-programmed swings?
Dice Programming

This never has made since to me. It amount to individual who are capable go making good decision; which isn't you!

Based on your ability to AutoRegulate feed back, go with how you feel.

AXE jump-squats twice a week
AXE Jump Squat

This is a good Movement the increases Vertical Power.

Another variation of it would be the...

Kettlebell Hop Jumps

This Movement is performed at the end of a Kettlebell Swing with a Horizontal Hop/Jump Forward.

One of the issues with Kettlebell Swings is the once the the bell is allows to Float, no Power is developed in that Range of the Movement.

With a Kettlebell Hop Jump, Power is developed through the Full Range of The Movement.

Your Analysis

Base on your analysis and you're ability to AutoRegulate, you're full capable of figuring out what you need to do.

As Einstein stated, "Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing."

I'm not sure that jump squats have much advantage over kettlebell swings. Certainly swings are a safer alternative with similar results.
Kettlebell Jumps

Vertical Kettlebell Jumps and Kettlebell Hop Jump are excellent method for increasing Power.

There virtually no safety issue, unless someone does something stupid.

The Take Home Message

There is no real safety issue with Kettlebell Jumps.

However, there is an issue with a Lack of Knowledge and with Stupidity.

Kettlebell Swings

This is a great Power Movement.

However, Power is not developed in the Full Range of The Movement.

Power Development end when the Kettlebell is allowed to Float.

I've run Novocaine for my BJJ S&C for a while, and in particular, used ROP (in the past) as the strength supplement with good results. It's a great way to mix BJJ (3-4x per week) and a S&C program. I've found that a lot of the SF programs are stand alone. Trying to run a full SF program, while adding in a full BJJ schedule (or any full-time sport) is a ton of volume. Remember that your S&C program should be helping you on the mat, not hurting you.

I would add, as Pavel states in the KBSF program for grapplers, our shoulders take a lot of abuse. Adding a pressing program can easily lead to overuse injury, which is why he recommends the clean and jerk for overhead work. I've taken this advice and dropped the ROP pressing from my novocaine supplement (running weighted FPP and a barbell day currently).

Whenever I have been in a period of time where I am training a lot of BJJ such as twice a day a few times per week, I reduce my pressing to easy strength. Easy strength offers a ton of good rep scheme basically following the rule of 10 reps most notably 2 sets of 5 like in power to the people. This makes it really easy to get in some strength work and not have it beat your body down. Ladders are good to use too almost any combination is great. An easy one is just (4,3,2,1). Do one ladder for ten reps and don’t stress. You don’t need to be that strong to do jiu jitsu, but kettlebells will help to have some strength and stability so the body doesn’t break down so easily.

Many thanks for these considered responses. I really appreciate the advice and feedback.

What I have taken from this is:

1. Not a problem to alter the ROP program.
2. Squat Jumps are fine, (currently without load, but maximally powerful) but I could explore kettlebell hop jumps and vertical kettlebell jumps to improve power across RoM
3. Q+D on off days is another option. I probably won't do this as I am trying to keep my strength sessions to 3 x per week, merely due to time constraints, but may explore if time allows.
4. I need to be mindful of overloading the shoulders with pressing given the stress they endure on the mats.

The main thing I've learned is that this forum is one of the best informed and considerate places on the internet. Many thanks!

... Text...
Can you just list your "typical training schedule" for the week? What you are actually doing, nit what you wish you are doing.
Can you also mark it by where and what the problem is?

Background:
I used to train Nogi grappling 5 days a week, between 5-8 sessions in total. I did not train any conditioning outside of that, cause that's a lot of conditioning right there.
Outside of that i trained strength 3 days a week. Cycled Hepburn powerbuilding on the lunch breaks with RoP-presses and TTKBC (including swings)

Back
Top Bottom