all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Comments made by non-fitness (aka out of shape) people!

There are more and more studies on exercise preventing dementia, reducing depression. If I couldn't work out I think I would turn into the Hulk and run into a brick wall.

And then there are studies about reduced testosterone. Men are less manly these days. The teenage boys these days look like Grey Aliens with long skinny necks and tiny jaws. Its gross.

Internet, smart phones, zoom calls. When I was a kid we had one phone in the kitchen and I spent most of my time on a bicycle. There are also more jobs where people sit all day vs. a long time ago.

And I think the economy is screwed up in a hidden way. There are plenty of jobs, but they don't pay much and no benefits. And people are spending money, but they are going into dept. Money keeps getting printed and at some point the dollar with devalue and things could get ugly.

I don’t own a snowblower because I like the exercise. Last year I saw on the news that doctors now recommend that people over 45 shouldn’t shovel due to heart attack risk.

I would prefer to stay fit enough that routine manual labor isn’t life-threatening.

I don’t own a snowblower because I like the exercise. Last year I saw on the news that doctors now recommend that people over 45 shouldn’t shovel due to heart attack risk.

I would prefer to stay fit enough that routine manual labor isn’t life-threatening.
I agree with you in general....but I do own a snowblower, a big one. The thing about heart attacks is its dangerous to workout in the very cold air. I used to lift barbells in my detached garage. It would be 10 below Zero there in MN and I remember once I felt like my chest was going to explode.

I explain the clear cases of heart attack when shoveling snow with the fact that in cold weather the blood vessels constrict, and at the same time you exert physical effort, which increases blood pressure even more. One winter I went outside to do calisthenics. When I got home and took my blood pressure, the result was 180/110, and before that I was normal. I am hypertensive and more susceptible, but this was telling. From that point on, I stopped exercising outside in very cold weather. I often take my blood pressure after working out at the gym and everything is fine.

No one would bat an eye or even notice when I was sitting on my arse watching tv in the evening and eating cookies, bread with nutella, snacking all day, as long as I looked tired.

Nowadays, 30-45' of movement before starting my day and a diet heavily relying on meats and veges energises me.

And I get told to "stop being so strict", "stop obsessing", "you only care about..." and "your job isn't hard".

Frustrating to say the least, mostly because I leave others alone when they don't then do the same with me.

I did not know that cold can be the reason for heart attacks. Usually when I shovel I end up taking my jacket off because I I’m getting a little warm. I live in semi upstate NY which can get quite cold with the wind chill. I have heard that what side (left or right) you shovel with makes a difference.

They say the cold constricts the blood vessels and that makes it more dangerous. And then add a level of exertion that a lot of people aren't used to.

Back
Top Bottom