all posts post new thread

Old Forum Competition Grade KB's and S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BryanT

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi All,

First post and new to everything KB. Before I ran into StrongFirst I had already purchased  some Competition Grade KB's (8, 16, 20 and 24 kg will follow). I am about to start with S&S and I am wondering if there would be any problem to do this program with these KB's.

Bryan from the Netherlands - Europe

Bryan, I've heard people complain about being able to do two handed swings with those. How do they feel?

Phil, I am new to this and simply do not know how they should feel, in other words, I am enthused by just reading S&S without having done one swing! I just lifted one with two hands and the space feels a bit cramped on the handle, hands touching. Pinkies may need to come/go out.

Surface is smooth, both the handle and the bottom.

I have a personal preference for cast iron, but it's not a big deal, you should be fine with competition bells. Even the cast iron I have to adjust my grip for two handed swings, and I don't have huge hands. You'll move exclusively to one handed swings pretty soon on the S&S program anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have the comp bells and don't have any trouble with two hand swings. I also prefer the bare steel finish to the coated/painted cast iron.

I agree with the other Jason above. I have cast iron KBs and it's still a little cramped with two hands, and my hands are medium with pretty thin fingers.

Thanks gentlemen,

Then I'll stick with my CG KB's.

Next on the list: Getting an instructor over to the Netherlands for a one day course for a room full of KB newbies... Thomas Pesce, you've got an email coming your way :)

Thank you Key Master Pavel, much appreciated.

Staying on the subject of Welcome, I in return would like to welcome you to the Netherlands for a class by the Key Master Himself. What would it take to make that happen? Getting a room full of eager kettlebell newbies and wannabees won't be a problem.

Hello Bryan,

I too am from Holland, and did you know that we have certified instructors in here? (Me being one of them). If you need a proper introduction to kettlebell, lessons or form critique, just shoot me a message:

www.kettlebellchallenge.nl

It can be overwhelming when you are new to this, i know :). But it's not as hard as it seems, you just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am located in 's-Hertogenbosch by the way.

But if the chief himself accepts your offer, I'll understand that you prefer his lessons ;). Heck, I might even come and join ;)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the offer. I see you are HKC certified. Me being new to all this, does this mean that you are also SFG certified?

Hi Bryan,

I am indeed HKC certified, and not SFG certified. HKC means that i am certified to teach the Swing, Get-Up and (Goblet)Squat.

The Swing and the Get-Up are the movements that you will focus on with S&S, en the execution of these basic exercises are the same with Strong First and RKC. So there should not be any problems here. All the hardstyle priciples that apply in S&S are taken into account in instruction.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom