all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Complementary Exercises to Double Kettlebell Clean And Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you have access to barbell then deadlifts. Been doing Strong + Deadlifts for about 2-3 months and had great results.
Oh that’s nice! What was your program looking like with deadlifts? 3x weekly or on off days from Strong?

I just finished Strong P1 with 28s and P2 short course with 24s and I’m starting up P1 with 32s in November after a week off. I’ll have access to a gym starting in November with plenty of plates and barbells.

I can’t see past chin-ups/pull-ups and dips these days. I like to do pull-ups on a bar but also with various climbing devices hung from a chin up bar for grip work. Similarly I like dips on bars or gymnastic rings and with and without a weight vest.

Adding some crawling/rocking/marching (as well as some dead hangs and lat stretches) for mobility wouldn't be a bad thing.

You can't go wrong adding squats, chin/pull ups, and carries. I'd lean towards unilateral carries, since there's a lot of core tension in DK C and P already. Throw in some TGUs once a week too (even if just bodyweight with a shoe or cup of water). Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Oh that’s nice! What was your program looking like with deadlifts? 3x weekly or on off days from Strong?

Sun Trap Bar Deadlifts + Clean and Press
Tues Normal Deadlifts + Clean and Press
Thurs Trap BarDeadlifts + Clean and Press

I followed the second option in Neupert's Barbell Bolt On. Which basically started with 15 min of 2 reps (using a 5rm) and over the course of several weeks worked up to 15 min of 4 reps. On Thursday I would just work out to a set of 5 and do as many as I felt like doing. Then I would do Strong afterwards. I improved dramatically in both lifts: C&P the 5rm became a 12 and both deadlifts became an easy 10rm.

I suppose you could DL 2x per week and Clean and Press 2x per week, similar to how Neupert suggests using the ONE Program. If I was doing that I might do some variation of swings for 5-10 min just to get more of a workout.
Day 1 DL + chin ups. Day 2 Clean and Press and some 1 handed swings. [These would likely be my picks]

Sun Trap Bar Deadlifts + Clean and Press
Tues Normal Deadlifts + Clean and Press
Thurs Trap BarDeadlifts + Clean and Press

I followed the second option in Neupert's Barbell Bolt On. Which basically started with 15 min of 2 reps (using a 5rm) and over the course of several weeks worked up to 15 min of 4 reps. On Thursday I would just work out to a set of 5 and do as many as I felt like doing. Then I would do Strong afterwards. I improved dramatically in both lifts: C&P the 5rm became a 12 and both deadlifts became an easy 10rm.

I suppose you could DL 2x per week and Clean and Press 2x per week, similar to how Neupert suggests using the ONE Program. If I was doing that I might do some variation of swings for 5-10 min just to get more of a workout.
Day 1 DL + chin ups. Day 2 Clean and Press and some 1 handed swings. [These would likely be my picks]
That’s interesting, you did it like a volume cycle instead of constantly stacking weight like Starting Strength NLP?

That’s interesting, you did it like a volume cycle instead of constantly stacking weight like Starting Strength NLP?

Yeah. I found the volume training to be really effective for me. Just what I needed.

What I am going to do now is increase the weight on the barbell exercises by 5-10kg and just do them again. Going to give the You Ain't Got Squat program a go for my kb work as it involves a lot of front squats and presses.

Yeah. I found the volume training to be really effective for me. Just what I needed.

What I am going to do now is increase the weight on the barbell exercises by 5-10kg and just do them again. Going to give the You Ain't Got Squat program a go for my kb work as it involves a lot of front squats and presses.
That’s super interesting. Had you already run an NLP type of program to build your barbell lifts to a certain point then switched to volume based training?

I’d be interested in seeing the difference in effects on novice, intermediate, and advanced trainees doing an NLP versus say a ramping 4-6 week volume cycle doing 2-3 reps of a 4-5RM weight. I’d bet novices respond well to the NLP until they stall then the Volume cycle would get ahead for intermediate and advanced lifters. Heck there may be studies already out there showing exactly that.

That’s super interesting. Had you already run an NLP type of program to build your barbell lifts to a certain point then switched to volume based training?
I would classify myself as intermediate. Mostly done routines like 531 to build/maintain my strength over the years. So lots of linear progression programs over the decades. This was an amazing change. Weights that always felt heavy now feel light.

I like doing hack squats or front squats, and neutral grip chin ups with Dbl C&P programs. I have done Giant 1.0 and STRONG phase 1 so far, working on STRONG phase 2 now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom