all posts post new thread

Old Forum Conditioning and weight control

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dean S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Has anyone here seen the other blogs (Stew Smith in particular) that state research has shown that conditioning AFTER strength weight leads to better weight control?  Other places refer to the same research but don't give references.  As everyone here knows, the Simple & Sinister program starts with swings for conditioning and goes to TGUs for strength.  Al Ciampa posted "Where do go after Simple" which puts the conditioning after the strength work.  Pavel's post, "From Simple to Sinister", also puts the swings after the strength work.  The Rite of Passage and Viking Warrior Conditioning do the same.  I am going to stay with the Simple program and then go to one of these more advanced programs.  Just curious if anyone has seen the actual research.

The swings in S&S are not necessarily conditioning. You don’t have to do them in under 5 min.
Every rep should be powerful and crisp, not slow and forced only “because you can”.
Some days my swings take 20-40 minutes, some days 2.5 minutes.

It boils down to _POWER_ before all other work, if you have a skill practice put it before the power-part.
1. Skill
2. Power
3. Strength
4. Assistance exercises
5. Conditoning

i.e. If I would do TGU with my max weight It would be a skill-practice for me so I would personally have it before my swings (power).

Dean, the swings in S&S aren't conditioning work, they're explosive work, like Olympic lifting.  You get conditioning from them but that's not how you approach them.

You may still do conditioning work after your strength training, e.g., swing, barbell, jog.  I wouldn't use the swing for both purposes - too much chance of confusion.

Weight control is 90% diet, and I believe finding a soft practice in your life is also important to this - some sort of tai chi, qigong, meditation, something along those lines.

-S-

Yeah weight control is about diet, which for most people is about addressing behaviours as opposed to details.  90% of the overweight people I know don't need educating on paleo or whatever the latest fad food approach is, (and they are ultimately all money-driven fads) they need a course of CBT or similar to address when, why and how they over-consume calories.  Of course this is harder and wont sell books but it's a longer term solution.  Steve's suggestion of some soft practice ties in with this a bit ime.  Get your head and nervous system in the right place, (thought/emotions) and your behaviour tends to 'improve'.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom