all posts post new thread

Old Forum Conditioning Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dan Anderson

Level 3 Valued Member
Over the last several years my goals have shifted from strength & conditioning being semi equal goals,( For example a decent amount of time spent on ETK, RTK, KB Muscle, Various Complex programs by Geoff) To goals that are mainly strength goals.  Since September I have followed 5/3/1, switching my assistance work every 6-8 weeks.  Outside of 5/3/1 I walk about 2 miles atleast 3 times a week.  I have always enjoyed walking. My question is with my goal being to improve my BP, SQT, DL, & MP is my walking enough?  Yea I know, enough for what.  Just general health I guess.  Since in the past I always had sometype of conditioining component I almost feel the need to do something of the sort.  I dont want to add anything just for the sake of adding something.  After a decent base of strength is built at what point and time can conditioining be added (ex: push a prowler) and it not get in the way of main goal.

Thanks,

Dan

For general health walking is likely enough, as long as your diet is good. But, if you enjoy that kind of training feel free to work into your programming in ways that will benefit (IE sled pushing, KB swings etc.), the key is not to kill yourself doing it. If you feel your lifts starting to suffer, cut back. Sleds are especially great, due to the lack of eccentric they are pretty easy to recover from. I know Jim Wendler is a huge fan of hill sprints and walking with a weight vest, so I imagine either of those would be easy to work in too.

yes, Yes, YES!  Walking is enough if just getting stronger with barbells is your goal.  Half the year I don't need cardio; that's about 75 sessions I can skip and instead lift or be lazy.  That said, I maintain the ability to jog on level ground without trying.

Walking has always been the cornerstone in all my programs. It is something I've done alot of and keep doing alot of. It seems to me the most natural of things for a human to do.

so...

Get a dog!

I walk the little one for about 1h30m every day. He likes it. I like it. My wife likes that she doesn't have to.

Walking has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember.  I have always had a dog to walk with and this seems to be one of the best ways for me to relax.  Over the last 2 years I do it wearing some type of minimalistic shoes.  Often times this is done right after my lift.  During last six months I  have purposefully been eating a ton and very little hard conditioning.  I am starting  to consider adding some prowler pushes into my routine  & being careful not to over do it.

Dan, walking is healthy but what you are doing is not enough to get a lot of health benefits.  Marty Gallagher has powerlifters, especially, heavyweights, walk but they walk briskly and farther.  And they carry more weight, hence more conditioning benefits.

You could do trail running.  In that case your duration and frequency would work.

Or just do a minimalistic swing or snatch regimen, e.g. S&S twice a week.

Walking is great, but honestly, 6 miles per week isn't that much... You wouldn't see much physical benefit from walking, but there are other benefits: stress-reducing if done outdoors (not an inside track in a gym) and Vitamin D up-regulation if done mid-day, without sunscreen. I think that those benefits from walking are more beneficial towards well-being and, in turn, towards strength.

Thanks for the replies.

Pavel, thanks for input.  The suggestion about S.S. two days a week in addition to 5/3/1. is exactly what my wife has been doing over the last 3 weeks.  I am sure I will implement this in the future for myself.

After 6 months of doing nothing but walking and lifting, I do feel the need to add a little more conditioning.  My plan for now is to hit the prowler after DL and SQT day and try to get one more prowler session in on an off day.

I walk at least 1 mile every day with my wife and 3 black labs wearing a 75 lb weight vest. That and S&S 5 days per week I never get winded. Even when I'm playing running based pickup sports with guys younger than me. Sometimes if I want to push myself (I rarely do this) ill do the walk carrying ~150 lb (maybe a lil less) sandbag. When one of my tough buddies stop over bragging about how much they can bench press or whatever, I always ask them if they want to go for a walk! Usually I'm carrying the bag while they are sucking wind. But the vest is great, since I'm going to walk with my wife and dogs anyway, I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom