all posts post new thread

Old Forum confused about when to got one handed in S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sam

Level 1 Valued Member
I've read through twice, and still not quite getting it. Early on, it says eventually you will do only one-handed. In the middle, it talks about measuring power and contraction, and double giving more power, and one handed more contraction, indicating maybe they train differently, and should be combined. And the sample schedules in the back show how to ladder up the weight of bell, but not how/if/when to transition from double to single swings.

Do you go to 5mins of single, then start adding singles at next weight, or when you add weight, do you start adding doubles of the next weight, until you are doing 5 min of doubles at the next weight, then start moving to singles? Or something else? If I somehow missed this, I'll take a page reference...

Fwiw, I do 200 single swings in 10 min now at 24K, and S&S has me thinking I should get a 32K and be swinging more weight for less time.

why don't you start with 24kg and if you consistently stay at 15 minutes add 32kg sets?

With regards to your first question, my understanding is that you (as a beginner) go through swing progression until you can do one handed swings confidently and powerfully, and then you start decreasing rest if you want to, but you don' t have to. I believe you can stay at the same weight for a long time and still benefit.

If you can steadily meet the "cut-off" time you can increase weight. At this point your timer will pause and when you switch to the new weight completely you can start working on decreasing rest again.

Thanks for the suggestions Eugene, but I'm not looking to design my own 15min program, I intend to stick to the S&S.

I have only question:

If I can do 100 one-arm swings in 5min, should I ever do doubles again during the S&S? If so, when?

Sam,

Two-hand swings (not double - these are two Kbs; one in each hand) are drilled until you have the pattern forged.  Move into one hand swings from here - ramp it up however you like until you are only doing one hand swings; now you're on the program.  On days when you don't "feel it" use a lighter two-hand bell and knock out some overspeed eccentrics.

-Al

some advice, I found it a lot easier to transition to one hand swings by using the hand to hand swing.

Sam, like Al said, once you progress to doing all sets with one-hand you only use the one-hand swing, except for light, overspeed eccentric days

i might add that once you are comfortable with one handed swings with the 24kg bell then its time to move up to the 32kg.  when you move up you will be going back to 2 handed swings on the 32kg.  so as Pavel suggests in S&S mix in the heavier bell amongst your 10 sets.  you may do 6 sets of one handed swings with the 24kg and mix in 4 sets of the 32kg bell.  or you may choose to get it on completely with the 32kg bell and do 10 sets of 2 handed swings with it.  then start to find your way into one handed swings with the 32kg.  once you get those for 10 sets then you have the Simple.  now its continue to progress toward the beast with 2 handed and then the beast with single hand and thats the Sinister.  so you see you can truly stay on this program for life as attaining 10 single hand swings for 10 sets and 5 TGUs per side with The Beast has got to be a great training day for anybody.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom