all posts post new thread

Old Forum confused

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

supercarp

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been following ETK and just got S&S which is excellent however I am not sure which I should follow.  Can I do S&S and a couple of times a week do clean and presses, pull-ups and push ups or just do S&S ?

How long have you been doing ROP, where are you at with it, and what are your goals? (the more specific you are with your goals, the better).

Also, which is more interesting/enjoyable for you, get ups or presses?

I have  been doing TOP for a few months and about to move up from a 16kg bell. I enjoy both get ups and C&P.  My goal is a good overall level of strength and conditioning whilst trying to fit my training around shift work young children etc!

Having begun re-reading S&S I think this is actually going to fit my lifestyle. I suppose it is the same problem having spent years in the gym been brainwashed by various instructors and magazines so changing my routines every 6 weeks or so I feel as if I need to be doing other exercises to work the chest for example

"I have  been doing TOP for a few months and about to move up from a 16kg bell. I enjoy both get ups and C&P.  My goal is a good overall level of strength and conditioning whilst trying to fit my training around shift work young children etc!"

Way too vague for me to make any differentiation of which program is better for you. Which tends to make me think S&S; it's the better default program for most people without specific goals. The only thing I could really say is they are roughly comparable in terms of time per week, ROP is very slightly more minimalist in days, but much less flexible about what happens on those days. Slight edge here to S&S.

"Having begun re-reading S&S I think this is actually going to fit my lifestyle. I suppose it is the same problem having spent years in the gym been brainwashed by various instructors and magazines so changing my routines every 6 weeks or so I feel as if I need to be doing other exercises to work the chest for example"

I say the following not to be a jerk, but to make a point: you're an adult who manages to fulfill adult responsibilities, including but not limited to holding down a job with irregular hours, and taking care of children. You are mature, intelligent, and responsible enough to do something different from what gym "instructors" and magazines have told you, if you so choose. Furthermore, you're intelligent enough that, if you try out S&S, you can evaluate whether, in terms of results achieved for time spent, it is more, less, or equally effective and enjoyable compared to what you've done before, and vis a vis amount of time spent.

Whether you are disciplined enough to pick something and stick with it for a while, without making changes, is another matter. I don't know you, so I don't know if you are or not, but I know this is key to determining what program to follow, and eventually how to write your own.

I'd encourage you to do S&S, stick with it until you meet the "simple" goals, and then see where you are and how you feel. While you "can" add lots of other stuff, e.g. pullups, presses, etc, I would recommend that you not do so for now, and just do the above. When you hit those S&S goals, which, if you actually do the program, might be anywhere from a few weeks to several months (I don't know your age, training history, injuries/health, recovery time, etc), then go ahead and experiment with adding one or two additional things, if you really feel like it, or cycle it with other programs.

Really, it's not that much time to try it out and see. You might be surprised with how you feel and move, and how your mindset changes, if you do this. And I promise you nothing terrible will happen to you if you don't work your chest for a few months ; )

+1  to what Jason just said.

I liked doing the ROP but sometimes it really took a long time to do. S&S is a different matter.

Both programs are good. The problem lies when we often get distracted and forget to focus on the goal

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom