all posts post new thread

Old Forum Confusion about the lead up drills for the swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shinigami

Level 1 Valued Member
In the book before even getting to the swing Pavel mentions the Hip Hinge, Short-Stop drill, Deadlift, Hike Pass and finally the two arm swing. I was wondering:

Where should I fit this? After the warm-ups?  
Do I even need to do this? I've never done kettle bell stuff before, so I'm guessing yes?
How should I practise this, reps/sets? 
How many days a week should I work on this?
Should I not attempt the swings before getting these down perfectly?

That about covers it, if someone could clean my confusion I would really appreciate it.

James, you must be able to do all those things but you needn't perform them all before your swing practice once your form is solid - you may use them as you wish before each swing session.  For me, e.g., a moment in the short-stop stance would suffice and I don't do all the others on a regular basis as part of my swing practice, although I do also practice the barbell deadlift pretty regularly.

In other words, use the drills to prepare you for the skills, the latter being kettlebell swings in this case.  Once you've mastered the skill, there is no particular need for the drill unless you feel performing it helps you do the skill better.

Pavel recommends other things as part of your regular warmup for swings - see page 51 of the book.  I would do those because they're great movements for counteracting the slumped, seated posture many of us have acquired - even if you didn't do swings afterwards.

And let's keep in mind the general guidelines for any day's moving - mobility first, then explosive training (swings), then strength training (getups), and then stretching.

-S-

Thanks for getting back to me Steve, that made it much clearer. I don't have the book (bought it on kindle) I'm guessing pg 51 has the gob squats/hip hinge and halo?

James, you're welcome and yes, that's right - doesn't Kindle have page numbers?  I've never used it but do have e-books in PDF format and those have page numbers.

-S-

I have the third generation kindle and on that it doesn't display the page numbers, just the percentage,maybe the newer kindles have page numbers on them? The book is not a pdf it's a .mobi file (I think), which might make a difference as well?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom