all posts post new thread

Cool Training Stuff: Safety Straps

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Safety Straps

This post is designed to provide information on some effective training items that you may not be familiar with, like Safety Straps.

1710411360059.png

Above are the Spud Safety Straps for Power Racks.

McMaster Sling Straps

The Weight Capacity of these Sling Straps is 1,200 ls and higher.

1710415851948.png

When I purchased the McMater's Sling Straps, the cost was less than the Spud Straps at one time. It appear the price of the McMaster's Sling Straps and Spud Safely Straps are essentially the same.

The Straps work like a Power Rack's Metal Safety Pins which allow a lifter to perform Partial Range Movement.

Safety Straps are also effective for performing Concentric Only Movements. The bar is driven up and then allowed to drop back down to the Safety Straps. Placing metal Safety Pin just below the Safety Strap should be used as an additional safety precaution.

In performing Concentric Only Good Morning, I have worked up to 350 lbs. Once I lock the Good Morning out, I let the bar free fall down to the Straps. I have preform them this way for the last 5 years with no problem.. However, I do place the Metal Safety Pins just below the Strap in case one snaps.

With said, Partial Range Movement can be employed with other movement (Squat Bench Press, etc.). I have also preformed a Concentric Only Partial Bench Press

Dr. Fred Hatfield's Concentric Only Squat Training

Hatfield employed Concentric Only Squat Training out of a Power Rack with Metal Safety Pins; which is nuts.

The noise mush have been intense. I doubt that it was good for the Metal Safety Pins nor the Olympic Power Bar

One of the nice things abut the Safety Straps is no noise occurs when the Straps catch free falling bar.

With that said, let's focus on...

Partial Good Morning with Safety Straps

One of the primary exercise used with Safety Straps are Partial Good Mornings, which is all over youtube.

Conventional Deadlifters

The Sticking Point for most Conventional Deadlifter is in the knee area, just below or above.

Thus, one of the benefits of Partial Good Morning is in strengthening the muscle in the Sticking Point knee area.

Reasons Good Mornings Are So Effective

1) Ascending Strength Curve

Good Morning have the same Ascending Strength Cure as the Deadlift; hard at the bottom and easier as you drive the weight up.

2) Same Muscle Groups

The Good Morning works the same Muscle Groups as the Deadlift. The Good Morning has a Carry Over Effect in the development of the Deadlift.

Think of Good Mornings as a Sanding Deadlift.

Transfer Between Lifts: Increased Strength in Untrained Exercises

Research has demonstrate that an exercise similar in nature to another one produces gain in the movement not being performed..

Although the principle of specificity holds true, a phenomenon called “transfer” also occurs when a lifter increases their strength in an exercise that they did not train. For example, if a lifter performed lunges in lieu of back squat, but their back squat strength increased anyway, there would be transfer between the lunge and back squat.

Anecdotal data of the Westside Powerlifting Protocol in the use of Auxiliary Exercise has demonstrated that Strength Increases a Powerlifting Movement; such as Good Mornings works.

4) Training Recovery

a) Deadlifts

Dr. Tom McLaughlin, PhD Biomechanics/Former Powerlifter, noted in one of his research article that Deadlift quickly OverTrains the lower back.

Empirical Data based on a Powerlifter's Deadlift Training Program has demonstrated that, as well. That is reason the most Powerlifter limited their Deadlift Training to once every 7-14 days.

b) Good Mornings

Kim Goss, Strength Coach and formerly Editor of the magazine Bigger, Faster, Stronger and who now writes for Sim[pliFaster.com, noted Good Morning work the back, and ensure faster recovery from each Training Session.

Thus, Good Morning allow a lifter to train the back more frequently than the Deadlift.

I have found that to be true, as well.

Spud Inc. Weightlifting Suspension Straps

This is a good video that demonstrate Safety Straps.

Partial Concentric Bench Press

This is a good demonstration of Partial Concentric Bench Press Training with the Straps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom