all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Criticize my snatch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Great job man! I just came across the thread but you progress is awesome, especially your arch (or now lack there of) on the way down! I’m no instructor but i think A bell down for snatches is likely the answer if you’re considering it. One thing i liked to do was mix in bell sizes like you would progressively in s&s. This lets you feel like a champ on the lighter bell and the heavier bell usually teaches you something to carry over and try on the lighter bell.

The adventure goes on.
I love how humbling staying with one weight is.
I've been applying the cue with audible counting at the top since the last post. Here are the effects:

My concerns:
- torso turn/overpulling: is it safe and acceptable that during the pull phase I twist my torso slightly? Should I use any particular accessories for this issue?
- elbow: is my elbow not traveling too high?
- weight: should I stay with this weight and carry on clearing my technique or go a bell lower (28kgs)
To fix these issues I started to implement double half-snatch as an accessory:

My concerns:
- elbows again: are they wandering too high? Would I be better off if I make double clean my accessory? Going lighter with DHSn is not an option (I don't have two 16kg bells).

@Pasibrzuch I looked again at the videos in the first post vs. your most recent. You've made great progress, really! I can tell how much more powerful and stable you are with that 32kg. Yes, it is quite amazing how humbling and EFFECTIVE it can be to stay with one weight for a long time. To make that work requires focus and intent to become better and more powerful, which you have. Well done!

My thoughts on your questions, above -

I see the slight twist on the pull phase, yes. I do think it's safe and acceptable so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you want to try to minimize it (for more anti-rotational strength, and potentially more power/strength overall), you could try putting some focus on your feet. On the side you twist towards, think of static stomping that foot into the ground right at that pulling phase where it happens. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I can try to describe it better. Also, pull with the arm (the initial pull with the shoulder and then bend of the elbow, like starting a lawnmower) just a bit earlier in the pull.

On the weight, depends on your objectives, but that weight looks like a good one to me. Are you following a program? A good program design can drive progress, though it sounds like you are doing OK with your current approach.

On your half snatches you are casting the elbows out a bit on the drop from the rack position to the hinge. Think of bringing the elbows back behind the ribcage for the drop.

The double 24kg half snatch is probably great for some upper body hypertrophy because you're repeatedly loading 48kg overhead, as well as getting some time holding 48kg in the rack. They're also great for hinge power/development because it's a lot of weight to launch Double cleans would be great, too, and have their advantages... I would say let your tolerance for overhead volume help you make that choice.

@Anna C , @Mark Limbaga , @LarryB , thank you for your feedback. Very cool adjustments you're talking about, I will try them when I get over the flu.
On the side you twist towards, think of static stomping that foot into the ground right at that pulling phase where it happens. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I can try to describe it better. Also, pull with the arm (the initial pull with the shoulder and then bend of the elbow, like starting a lawnmower) just a bit earlier in the pull.
In other words, when I snatch with my right hand, I should push my right leg into the ground, and vice versa? Makes sense, when I think about the transfer of forces. Right now while sitting twisted I can see pushing one leg sets me back in the squared position.

I also see your point with casting hands too far forward during DHSn. Later in the very same session I did some repeats of double cleans and I felt I kept the bells closer to my body. DHSn - another adventure.
Are you following a program? A good program design can drive progress, though it sounds like you are doing OK with your current approach.
Don't make me start talking about programming, because I'm going to write an essay here. Generally, I'm fascinated with all the strongfirst principles and love to experiment with creating and reverse-engineering some programs basing on the free content on the blog and this forum.
My current program is a 6 week a+a block which aim is to develop power endurance for Muay Thai. The volume is decided by a dice roll: 1 - 12 repeats, 2-3 - 16 repeats, 4-5 - 20 repeats, and 6 - 24 repeats. The sessions take respectively ~15, 20, 30 and 35mins - another set of magic numbers :) The rest is dictated by the HR. I rest to 135bpm which is my supposed Aerobic Threshold. I don't increase the volume, since it would interfere with Muay Thai recovery. When I don't manage to finish the session in the assumed time, it's a signal I need more aerobic work. Friday is the light session, where I do accessory work - the double-half snatch and now I'm going to add double cleans.
Besides that, I'm doing double military press this way (maybe I will reach my half-bodyweight press in ten years ) On the top of that I do some squats, hack squats, jefferson curls and neck bridges.
If some Muay Thai folks come around this topic and decide to try it, I would be in heaven. When finances allow it one day, I'm definitely going to get SF certified to improve my programming skills.

In other words, when I snatch with my right hand, I should push my right leg into the ground, and vice versa?
Yes, that's it.

I believe most people do this to stay square without realizing it, actually, because there's more load on that side. If you've even tried shifting slightly to the working side while pressing a heavy kettlebell, you can feel that stacked feeling and how it helps keep you stable and produce force. So this would help bring that same advantage, and doing it consciously by thinking about producing force into the ground with that foot will act as a corrective.
My current program is a 6 week a+a block which aim is to develop power endurance for Muay Thai. The volume is decided by a dice roll: 1 - 12 repeats, 2-3 - 16 repeats, 4-5 - 20 repeats, and 6 - 24 repeats. The sessions take respectively ~15, 20, 30 and 35mins - another set of magic numbers :) The rest is dictated by the HR. I rest to 135bpm which is my supposed Aerobic Threshold. I don't increase the volume, since it would interfere with Muay Thai recovery. When I don't manage to finish the session in the assumed time, it's a signal I need more aerobic work. Friday is the light session, where I do accessory work - the double-half snatch and now I'm going to add double cleans.
Besides that, I'm doing double military press this way (maybe I will reach my half-bodyweight press in ten years ) On the top of that I do some squats, hack squats, jefferson curls and neck bridges.

Sounds great for your objectives. For the A+A sessions, you might try slightly more rest at times (down to HR of 100-110, maybe, which might take another 15-30 seconds between repeats in addition to what you are currently doing) and see if you notice a difference in your recovery the next day or as the weeks go by. But then you would have to change your magic numbers for target times. :)

@Anna C , @Mark Limbaga , @LarryB , thank you for your feedback. Very cool adjustments you're talking about, I will try them when I get over the flu.

In other words, when I snatch with my right hand, I should push my right leg into the ground, and vice versa? Makes sense, when I think about the transfer of forces. Right now while sitting twisted I can see pushing one leg sets me back in the squared position.

I also see your point with casting hands too far forward during DHSn. Later in the very same session I did some repeats of double cleans and I felt I kept the bells closer to my body. DHSn - another adventure.

Don't make me start talking about programming, because I'm going to write an essay here. Generally, I'm fascinated with all the strongfirst principles and love to experiment with creating and reverse-engineering some programs basing on the free content on the blog and this forum.
If some Muay Thai folks come around this topic and decide to try it, I would be in heaven. When finances allow it one day, I'm definitely going to get SF certified to improve my programming skills.
Think of it this way. The more squared you are, the more power is produced even with less leg drive and hip snap.

The arc of the snatch is ideally Muay Thai elbow range

The most basic way to improve aerobic capacity is jogging at MAF HR. Besides that, continuous snatching helped me more than any other training for my BJJ. Light kettlebell, 12 - 16 kg, snatch at 10 reps per minute, switching hands every five reps. As soon as HR hits above MAF stop. As soon as you can last for 30 minutes you can either increase the cadence or the weight of the bell, if you have incremental KBs.

A+A is useful for the development of anaerobic power, but for endurance - in my experience - you need prolonged activity.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom