all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Critique my KB lifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey there friends of strength,

the video below shows me doing a complex (Strength Plan 701B contained within the Double Kettlebell Manifesto by Hector Gutierrez Jr. @Hector G ).
It is set 4 of 5 and I am already fairly fatigued at this point which isn't a reason for sloppy tecnique of course.
I value any comment/tip on my tecnique.

Hey Marc,

I notice you have a bit of hyperextension in the knees. Ballistics can be tough for those with some hypermobility, but I notice it in your military press as well. Something to watch for. Start with your MP, and experiment with a slight flex back to neutral and gauge your strength. Try with a DL as well then work on it in the swing.

@Marc I think you have gained some muscle!

I think you should press more like straight overhead. Now you are pressing like bodybuilder. It's not wrong, but there may come some shoulder problems.

@Marc
Looking strong brother, very nice work. That's a serious amount of doubles work back to back. The down path to rack after snatches could be near your better press groove. Considering fatigue level after so many hard sets you look pretty damn good, and bigger^^+

Thanks a lot everyone!
Muscle gain is probably not too much (considering I am dieting right now). But losing fat is the best way to look more muscular.

@wespom9 Maybe actively engaging the standing plank would combat the hyperextension in the knees?

@Sauli This pressing grove actually feels pretty good to me/comes naturally. would you rather avoid this "high5" path?

@Bret S. True! Would you suggest concentrating more on activeley pulling back into the rack?

Could help, yes. Think about it during your warmup sets next time, video those and see if you can note any difference.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Muscle gain is probably not too much (considering I am dieting right now). But losing fat is the best way to look more muscular.

@wespom9 Maybe actively engaging the standing plank would combat the hyperextension in the knees?

@Sauli This pressing grove actually feels pretty good to me/comes naturally. would you rather avoid this "high5" path?

@Bret S. True! Would you suggest concentrating more on activeley pulling back into the rack?

Yes always pull hard coming down.. I was thinking your body likes that path pulling down so why not try reversing the same path going up while simultaneously pulling down, even if you have to initially lower the weight a bit as you groove in the new path. Ultimately you'll be stronger as you can recruit more pec and lat into the presses. You'll also more easily move the scapulas into a more favorable position and save your shoulders in the long haul. You have decades of pressing in your future, so a little time to adjust technique now is inconsequential and may save you alot of pain and frustration down the road.

@Marc Good job getting through that training. I know from experience that double kettlebell training is a whole different level of training. As for your shoulder press, some people like to go straight up (with the elbows pointing forward the whole time) and others will flare their elbows out a bit.

I'm not an instructor but compared to this instructional Strong First video (3:01 mark), your arms seem to flare out more than shown below...

Keep up the hard work!

Overall looking good
two things:
On the snatches - watch for looking up and tilting your head back - this can lead to some excessive extension

Squats - I would slow you down (I know not something you want to hear for a complex like that) but there is a lot of extra movement at the left knee especially.

Keep an eye on those knees

Good work bro. I had good gains in strength from that plan.
Id like to see you gaze stsyvdtrsight ahead while snatching. This way shun it comes time for faster cycling snatches you are better balanced.

Slightly more toe straight ahead will keep the knees safer as long as they track the toes when squatting.

Make sure you are in a big room when pressing. You’re tall bro! Lol

Thanks again everybody! Your advice is pure gold!
Well, only got 2-3 more cm left...

Looking strong. i don't have any advice, and all the big names have given you enough of that.
quick question Marc: how long did it take you to comfortable snatch double 24 for reps? did you work with double 20 first?

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the wrap-around catch at the top of the snatch. I tend to do that but with high weight or high volume, it can bother some shoulders. A straight flipping over of the bell is better, IMHO.

One thing I find fascinating about GS snatches is that they catch with a flip over, but then lower with a wrap-around path. Here we prefer the flip in both directions.

@Brett Jones, would you agree?

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom