all posts post new thread

Barbell Critique my program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Charles Mitchell

First Post
Pavel and gang, please let me know if you agree with this program or could offer suggestions to improve. I am a 33 year old new father to 3 month old boy. Goal is to be a strong dad capable of handling life.

Monday:
- Warmup with 10 Turkish getups with 1.5 pood and perfect form
- 5 x 5 Squat, increase weight 10 pounds from previous week if all reps hit. 3-5 minute rest between sets
- 5 x 5 Press, increase weight 5 pounds from previous week if all reps hit. 3-5 minute rest between sets
- 5 x 10 Single Arm Swings (5rt, 5lt), 1.5 pood. rest 1-2 minutes between sets

Wednesday:
- Warmup 10 Turkish getups
- 5 x 5 Deadlift, increase weight 10 pounds from previous week if all reps hit. 5 minute rest between sets
- 3 x max reps pullups, 5 minute rest between sets

Friday:
- Warmup with 10 Turkish getups
- 5 x 5 Front Squat, increase weight 5 pounds from previous week if all reps hit. 3-5 minute rest between sets
- 5 x 5 Bench Press, increase weight 10 pounds from previous week if all reps hit. 3-5 minute rest between sets
- 5 x 10 Single Arm Swings

Sunday:
Adult soccer league game. (2) 30 minute halves.

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with your program, but it's not what I would think of first for a "new dad" program.

For a new dad, I would want the program to be:
--As simple and mindless as possible (little or no decision making).
--As park bench as possible (no trying to "make reps").
--Flexible and modular (if you have to miss a day, do a workout on a different day, cut a workout short, etc, it is easy to do and doesn't have a big impact; the ability to break up your training into short mini sessions that you can more easily squeeze in during a day).
--Low recovery demand (due to lack of sleep, high stress, perhaps irregular diet).

Lots of options, depending on your specific goals and training history ("be a strong dad" is a great goal, but very vague).

Five sets of five will cause a pretty early plateau, especially on deadlifts. You want to do enough work, heavy enough, to disrupt homeostasis and drive an adaptive (strength) response - and no more.

As you start to question whether the volume is too much after you've been on it a while, or if it just starts taking too long, I'd start cutting out some of the Get Ups since the squat serves nicely as its own warmup then I'd ditch the swings if your primary emphasis is on getting strong for a season.

Pavel and gang, please let me know if you agree with this program or could offer suggestions to improve.

Congratulation with the boy. Theres only one way to find out whether your program needs improvement or not, and that is to stick to the program and see if you meet your goals. Remember, patience is a virtue.

Congratulations, Charles!

My first thought is you don't need to do that many get-ups before squatting. Three on each side would suffice and get your CNS primed for squatting.

I don't think many people need 5x5. Especially if you're waking up at all hours of the night. Granted, I don't know your training history. It would be too much for me, personally. I'm also 33. No children but law school.

A 5-3-1 approach with a big lift, followed by some kettlebell work like swings, snatches, a circuit that includes some swings/snatches, pull-ups/dips, and a core movement, or one of Geoff Neupert's complexes, would probably be a great fit right now. Recovery would be just right.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom