all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Curls: A Big Waste of Time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I do Doug Brignole's Brig-20 exercises, which are basically all isolation exercises, which combined with the HIT approach is not that painful. I know Doug's name has never been brought up on these forums, but his bio mechanics teachings have changed the way I train strength/hypertrophy. It's a very physics based approach to choosing and rating how efficient a particular exercise movement is at stimulating muscle.
I ordered Doug’s book and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hoping to find a couple exercises to I can use. His system is highly controversial but his exercises do isolate body parts very well. They say he was one of the nicest guys in bodybuilding.

lol. The era of Hepburn and Anderson really is gone. Olympic lifters truly are a specialized type of athlete.

Hepburn used to showcase his "weightlifting prowess" by doing curls and handstands. Anderson did the bizarre backlift.
John Davis reportedly could curl 205.

I'm spent the last 8 months bodybuilding (lol). Six day push pull legs.

I gained 8kg (about 20lbs i think), so I'm bigger than I've ever been. My biceps grew immensely through the addition of barbell curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls in the 10 - 25 rep range.

I’ll say I didn’t read the thread, but I’ll randomly weigh in with this.
Some of the strongest people I know who aren’t naturally big humans & don’t purposely train have large muscular arms. Especially compared to their torso’s. Their torso’s are lean & obviously strong but not overly muscled whereas their arms look as if they’ve been borrowed from a gorilla.

I’ll say I didn’t read the thread, but I’ll randomly weigh in with this.
Some of the strongest people I know who aren’t naturally big humans & don’t purposely train have large muscular arms. Especially compared to their torso’s. Their torso’s are lean & obviously strong but not overly muscled whereas their arms look as if they’ve been borrowed from a gorilla.

This brings up the torso dominant vs limb dominant meme.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, arms just don’t look like arms without direct work to the triceps and biceps - curls and pushdowns are where the magic happens! Compound exercises just aren’t enough
You gotta give em a little love.

I'm only doing 2 sets of bi or tri on alternating days, tacked onto the end of a session. Not sure 100% why, but my bi and tri and really responding to this hybrid approach. For weight I'm only using a 50lb sandbag. I don't think my biceps have ever been this big.

You gotta give em a little love.

I'm only doing 2 sets of bi or tri on alternating days, tacked onto the end of a session. Not sure 100% why, but my bi and tri and really responding to this hybrid approach. For weight I'm only using a 50lb sandbag. I don't think my biceps have ever been this big.
Yeah, I just ‘sometimes’ tack onto my workout one high rep (~20) set nearly to failure, of curls and pushdowns. That’s all it takes but it does make a big difference to the aesthetic. People who don’t do any isolation work on triceps and biceps have arms that look like they need to do some isolation work on triceps and biceps.

Yeah, I just ‘sometimes’ tack onto my workout one high rep (~20) set nearly to failure, of curls and pushdowns. That’s all it takes but it does make a big difference to the aesthetic. People who don’t do any isolation work on triceps and biceps have arms that look like they need to do some isolation work on triceps and biceps.

Agree, but....pushdowns??

Give me skull crushers, triceps dips (not really an isolation, granted), or cable overhead triceps extension.

Agree, but....pushdowns??

Give me skull crushers, triceps dips (not really an isolation, granted), or cable overhead triceps extension
Skull crushers are out because you can't look at yourself in the mirror while doing them. Well, you can but it makes the exercise more neck and shoulder dominant and is unsafe in normal people. The overhead extensions are adequate for the job but very ungainly - too much underarm! I reject them on aesthetic grounds and you should too. The cable rope tricep pushdown provides the perfect balance of strength, style and safety. Combine them with hammer curls for best effect

Back
Top Bottom