all posts post new thread

Current Science on Lactate

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Without attempting to generate a lot of drama, here is an interview with Dr. Robert Robergs about lactate. A few months ago another discussion with him caused some drama, and I'm not trying to renew that. This is a different discussion, and I found that he explains his research and understanding of lactate very well, including clearing up quite a few of my own misconceptions.

If you're not interested in nitty gritty science, skip.

If you're interested in drama ... also skip!

If you want to skip to Dr. Robergs' summary, go to 1hr 25min for a 2 min summary.

Thank you for sharing this. Oddly, on Saturday, a group of us got together to make sauerkraut. The discussion quickly turned to lactic acid (part of the fun of fermenting) and things like running the 400. Just a side thought came up: when you walk into someone's else when they are boiling cabbage is a completely different situation from when you put sauerkraut on plate next to a meat platter. Lebe does a great job at the end there getting the doctor to sum with "it depends," the phrase Stu McGill joked that I "made up." Appreciate the post here.

Understanding of fatigue, acidosis/lowered pH, lactate accumulation et al has undergone a fairly profound shift over the last 20 years or so, driven by advances in use of in vivo observation. In many cases it hasn't just added to previous understanding, it has re-written the book. A great deal, if not all of it is now on the free side of the academic pay-wall.

Understanding of fatigue, acidosis/lowered pH, lactate accumulation et al has undergone a fairly profound shift over the last 20 years or so, driven by advances in use of in vivo observation. In many cases it hasn't just added to previous understanding, it has re-written the book. A great deal, if not all of it is now on the free side of the academic pay-wall.
That's something I really enjoy. What I learned in my cellular metabolism class has changed so much even in just the past decade. It is confusing and exciting and changing. Very cool.

Very interesting or maybe not so much, it takes nothing away from SF training methodology. In a similar vein to golden age hypertrophy training, it still works the same as it ever did. The understood reasons why might be changing, but that is pretty much irrelevant to effective application.

Having coached and participated in CrossFit between 2013 and 2020 without a break I can attest that the overproduction of lactic acid leads to ill health effects. In the last 3 years I've almost exclusively run anti-glycotic training methods. Although I feel good on this method, I feel the need to introduce back a bit of intensity in my training regime.

Having now experimented with intensity on the airbike and running I can verify that a little dose goes a long way. So far it's much easier to hold a faster pace while running and my heart rate seems to be lower while running anti-glycotic work and it's only been a few weeks of introducing intensity once or twice a week.

So, while I won't be going back to CrossFit I will be experimenting with minute on minute off intervals and the program which I'm about to run in the beginning of April - Mike Perry's building the engine conditioning program coupled with kettlebell front squats, presses, dips, pullups and axe. Seems like a healthy balance is somewhere in the middle... Training for the beach body in this next cycle and as always - a healthy dad life gpp.

Last edited:
Having coached and participated in CrossFit between 2013 and 2020 without a break I can attest that the overproduction of lactic acid leads to ill health effects. In the last 3 years I've almost exclusively run anti-glycotic training methods. Although I feel good on this method, I feel the need to introduce back a bit of intensity in my training regime.

Having now experimented with intensity on the airbike and running I can verify that a little dose goes a long way. So far it's much easier to hold a faster pace while running and my heart rate seems to be lower while running anti-glycotic work and it's only been a few weeks of introducing intensity once or twice a week.

So, while I won't be going back to CrossFit I will be experimenting with minute on minute off intervals and the program which I'm about to run in the beginning of April - Mike Perry's building the engine conditioning program coupled with kettlebell front squats, presses, dips, pullups and axe. Seems like a healthy balance is somewhere in the middle... Training for the beach body in this next cycle and as always - a healthy dad life gpp.

I think you basically described this program:

The science behind excessive training and what exactly is happening isn't quite there yet. We know enough now, that it probably isn't from lowered pH due to lactate accumulation, although it could be from excessive ROS relative to antioxidant capacity (the lactate being actively metabolized vs what's just circulating). In a low O2 environment, mitochondria are almost impervious to reduced pH at a physiologic level.

I did come across some research that demonstrated the upper limit of antioxidant capacity is incredibly high if the exposure is gradual enough. Or if you have the genetics to be an elite athlete...

Suffice to say, overtraining is a real condition.

I'm five minutes in so far and must assume the doctor has his camera switched off. The host has pulled at least six stupid faces that would make me think I was in some sort of an Ali G set up.

Suffice to say, overtraining is a real condition.
Totally lived through it 2017 year end into 2018 first quarter. Was training hard for the 2018 open and didn't even get to complete it, immune system crashed, tired all the time, got sick in succession, one bug to the next, poor sleep... Sucked. My sweaty shirts smelled like ammonia post workout from January 2014 until then.... Had no idea what it meant.

Too much lactic acid is rouuuugh.

Last edited:
I remember the ammonia sweat days, used to rinse my shirt in the shower before putting it back in my bag.

Honestly though, I was in the best shape of my life - bulletproof.

Same, until the overload.

But did you have energy to do stuff well after the WOD? My body was kaput after.

Same, until the overload.

But did you have energy to do stuff well after the WOD? My body was kaput after.
It was almost entirely high threshold resistance training. I wasn't spending much time doing sub-max circuits etc. This was probably more from the length of the session - 90 minutes.

Worked in a warehouse, lived on the 5th floor apt bldg, I remember running up the stairs with my mountain bike over one shoulder.

I was a lot younger then...a lot of that volume could have been removed with no effect on adaptive response.

What follows is simply contention with the ongoing premise of LS's videos attempting to debunk what they/he think is "anti-glycolytic training."

It is very interesting how over time Greg might actually learn what "anti-glycolytic training" really is. His reactions to Robergs' answers I hope indicated some lightbulbs were turning on.

You're right, @John K , the definition of "anti-glycolytic training" needs to be made more layman accessible, because the folksy common sense approach to understanding what it is continues to fail.

There should have been a firm delineation of what "anti-glycolytic training" even means at the onset of .. the at least 3 videos LS have made(on the topic of AGT surrounding AXE). Greg hasn't once established that he even knows what it means in the proper sense, such that Verkhoshansky would agree with, despite claiming to have read/understand Verkhoshansky's work.
Instead, according to Lebe Stark, "anti-glycolytic training" is just a marketing tactic used by "others" trying to sell you on how acid is bad and you might die.

Could this simply be a representation of how his or any other personal trainer's client base might possibly think "anti-glycolytic training" could mean?

I would like to hope this is the case, and not just his own marketing tactic to be used against this marketing tactic.
Without even knowing it,
Robergs accidentally defends the benefits of AGT while being asked to discuss how ridiculous the concept even is just by talking about lactate in athletes. I just hope Greg and his audience get to realize this is happening, assuming this isn't just a marketing tactic for LS.

Last edited:
On the technical and historic details that Robergs answered, I listened to his lengthier descriptions again, it was difficult to hear on podcast form, his descriptions are really interesting.

I found this gem looking for more:

I found it really fascinating how many of his criticisms are based on the current "paradigm" in a field of study. For some reason I was heavily reminded of a discussion I watched a couple months ago that referred to these paradigm based points of view as abstraction layers in physics to somewhat model what is happening, eg spacetime being represented by heavy balls on trampolines, when it isn't really what is happening, but it more or less gives you the idea of what is happening.

Coming back to the original video posted, it struck me how much of the time Robergs spent answering Greg's questions on correcting the the underlying assumptions baked into the questions' premises. Unsurprisingly, explained by Robergs' affinity for the work of Kuhn.

Remembering the incredible reverse engineering ability of Soviet sports science, eg the game of hockey will never be the same, setting out to see if you can increase the sports performance of an athlete reliably without long drawn out H+ muscle baths while achieving superior results in the process, ended up inconveniently being called "anti-glycolytic training," an unfortunate paradigmatic label. Robergs would have no issue navigating the misnomer if proper context were present. In other words, a fundamental principle is being demonstrated via results, the abstraction layer modeling the dynamics proposed as mechanism of action should be updated with the improvement of our understanding of how things work. The paradigm shift needed to change the name of AGT does not yet appear to have arrived.

While repeatedly saying that "we don't know what we don't know" goes pretty well with the Twain quote he likes "It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so," I think refusing to acknowledge known unknowns in fields were faith based certainty is the greatest mistake you can make might do a little too much damage to the cause Robergs is trying to further. I think refusal to admit honestly that we don't know what we know we don't know was what led to what inspired Kuhn in the first place.

TL;DR Powerful Rob Robergs

The paradigm shift needed to change the name of AGT does not yet appear to have arrived.

A lot of the muddiness is due to the term: anti-glycolytic. I know it's been said before - this semantic interpretation - if there was a better descriptor it would clean up the model.
A stress model is more effective, again not with absolute clarity but there is agreement that too much exercise stress mixed with life stress can lead to negative health outcomes with the 'it depends' caveat applied to different populations. Which is the same point made in the video.
A mild high intensity stress done over time is in a direct clash with those that push for no pain, no gain short term quick results...which in some circumstances is warranted...and there is agreement on this: bootcamp WOD type approaches are a valid tool. But not always. And not all the time.
We arrive back at a sensible dosage of stress at appropriate times being a pragmatic choice for most populations but not all. It's called anti-glycolytic. Which is unfortunate....so the cycle continues...

Dunno. CHIT....curbed high intensity.....sorry,not sorry glycolytic anti-glycolytic...balls not quite to the wall training...going not all out whilst going all out....Schrodinger's WOD training that is both glycolytic and not glycolytic but you don't know what it is until you've posted it on Instagram.

On the technical and historic details that Robergs answered, I listened to his lengthier descriptions again, it was difficult to hear on podcast form, his descriptions are really interesting.

I found this gem looking for more:

I found it really fascinating how many of his criticisms are based on the current "paradigm" in a field of study. For some reason I was heavily reminded of a discussion I watched a couple months ago that referred to these paradigm based points of view as abstraction layers in physics to somewhat model what is happening, eg spacetime being represented by heavy balls on trampolines, when it isn't really what is happening, but it more or less gives you the idea of what is happening.

Coming back to the original video posted, it struck me how much of the time Robergs spent answering Greg's questions on correcting the the underlying assumptions baked into the questions' premises. Unsurprisingly, explained by Robergs' affinity for the work of Kuhn.

Remembering the incredible reverse engineering ability of Soviet sports science, eg the game of hockey will never be the same, setting out to see if you can increase the sports performance of an athlete reliably without long drawn out H+ muscle baths while achieving superior results in the process, ended up inconveniently being called "anti-glycolytic training," an unfortunate paradigmatic label. Robergs would have no issue navigating the misnomer if proper context were present. In other words, a fundamental principle is being demonstrated via results, the abstraction layer modeling the dynamics proposed as mechanism of action should be updated with the improvement of our understanding of how things work. The paradigm shift needed to change the name of AGT does not yet appear to have arrived.

While repeatedly saying that "we don't know what we don't know" goes pretty well with the Twain quote he likes "It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so," I think refusing to acknowledge known unknowns in fields were faith based certainty is the greatest mistake you can make might do a little too much damage to the cause Robergs is trying to further. I think refusal to admit honestly that we don't know what we know we don't know was what led to what inspired Kuhn in the first place.

TL;DR Powerful Rob Robergs

I think it is interesting you hear that Robergs confirms AGT when he states that there is no lactic acid only lactate, that lactate is a good thing, and that the low pH from H ions doesn't negatively effect the muscle or mitochondria. Clearly I need to reread AGT stuff.

I think it is interesting you hear that Robergs confirms AGT when he states that there is no lactic acid only lactate, that lactate is a good thing, and that the low pH from H ions doesn't negatively effect the muscle or mitochondria. Clearly I need to reread AGT stuff.
I felt the same way as Harry. I am mostly steeped in the Strong Endurance manual, I've read it cover to cover many times. i think I'm on my 7th go-around, now. I actually found myself to be in agreement with the good doctor, when he was discussing these things.

so, I'm no expert, but I don't see what the conflict with AGT is, excepting certain misnomers.

I thought I heard the doctor describe that there's a threshold beyond which the Hydrogen Ions do more harm than good, it becomes not just a problem for the muscle, it's a problem for the whole body. this would be in agreement with AGT.

ON AGT And Low pH
AGT does not demand zero rates of hydrogen ion production, nor does it demand zero acidosis.

where it draws the line is that relative to a target adaptation, the acidity, the hydrogen ions, would be more intelligently utilized acutely and purposefully, rather than generally, and systemically. The acidity, once induced should be cleared promptly, and not pushed to its possible limits; with a chronic or lingering presence in the system. There are secondary and tertiary effects that AGT eschews.
For strength and power expression, that bar to acidosis is lower; not zero. for hypertrophy, it is a higher level of employment of acidosis, to induce hypertrophy; purposefully, in controlled doses, to mitigate undesired effects.

And while previous research employed such terminology that associated Lactate to acidosis, I don't see a conflict with the so-called training methods. I sense agreement. the clarifications don't effect the conclusions as much as intermediary effects in the causal cascade of events. some of which might be interesting for other reasons.

ON MISNOMERS
For better or worse, (maybe for worse) I have some sympathy for some of his colleagues' views. He is not alone in being faced with misnomers and mistakes in nomenclature, taxonomy, or topology. And most everyone finds methods of coping with it. But, he's kind​
Example:
In electrical engineering, there is this thing we call reverse electron flow. this is completely untrue. Edison was wrong.​
Edison, (along with anyone else at the time) described the Positive side of a circuit as being positively charged. He and everyone else would describe that the positive side of the battery was the source of energy. He and everyone else was wrong. but it was a part of every document attempt, explanation, etc. that the positive side was the source side of the energy in the circuit. this is oppositely true. it is the ground side of a circuit which is the source side of energy. the electron flow - so-called - (another misnomer, still) actually sources the energy from the negative or ground side of the circuit. and then even still - electrons DO NOT FLOW from one material to another. The electrical field dictates the electrical charge behavior.​
that's two biggies(1. Reverse flow of electrons, and 2. Electrons do not actually flow, only the signal "flows"). And, it has disturbed Electrical Engineering, not one wink. it is a kind of labeling problem. And, it has become quite literally a kind of term of art, in the industry and education that we still use the positive flow from the positively charged side to the negatively charged side of a circuit, with silly arrows and diagrams that have little if anything to do with any of the underlying phenomena. the excitation, and participation in a defined field (which is often definable by an ever-changing state, but for mathematical purposes is often(if not always) evaluated in some static state; often utilizing matrices) it has little to no bearing on the usefulness, and utility of the previously established models, that we also understand these more recently developed ideas about how and why power works the way it does. to reiterate, the labeling problem has little or nothing to do with the utility of the preexisting models.​
so, I'm about to step well outside of my ken(I'm spitballing here), but in my view, the good doctor, if he's serious about revising The Paradigm, he has a certain kind of choice to make. if he's serious about making things change enough to rewrite textbooks. (something that on average happens very rarely, these days, even when it's warranted.) He has to either raze the construct to the ground, embarrassing everything in his path into submission, so that they have no choice but to do away with the old idea, post-haste; or he has to provide a sufficiently complete substitute. you can not knock out a column in a building without at least shoring up the surrounding floor plate. and you MUST have a plan to replace it. I believe that it is not enough for his industry, to remove the useful short-hand heuristic without something to hold its stead. This comports with my study of Logic (under philosophical schools, not mathematics/comp sci) that largely, sets of information are organized architecturally. the addition of components of thought, understanding, etc. are added in certain configurations, not all of which are mutually compatible. so, a sufficiently valuable substitute assembly of knowledge may be required to compensate for the destroyed utility of the old one; whether it was right or wrong in certain ways.​

But, I digress.

as far as AGT is concerned I don't see a huge disagreement. some clarification possibly.
I don't see the material differences about ...
- avoidance of systemically high amounts of Hydrogen Ion accumulation, because muh lactic acid
-or-
- avoidance of systemically high amounts of Hydrogen Ion accumulation, because of the temporal region of exercise exposure where both lactate and Hydrogen ion is principally produced, and the lactate production (apparently) doesn't always keep up with Hydrogen ion production, inviting negative side effects in large enough doses. and which is sometimes associable to effects that are not the target adaption(s) of AGT.

the same paradigm seems to apply.
work hard, and don't overdo it.
(maybe there's some discussion to be had about what constitutes overdoing it, within a set, session, week, month, etc.)

points of clarification I find to be of interest

- Do lactate production rates predict performance? If so, How so?
- does lactate (or other cofactors) supplementation provide performance increases to those interested?

This is a really great thread, I hope it continues.

I dont follow Lebe - what is his goal? To discredit Pavel? To prove AGT methods are bogus? Or both?

Back
Top Bottom