all posts post new thread

Dad Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Tue 27 04 21

Dead hang / Goblet squat
5 reps Trap DL 80kg
5/3 Ab wheel rollouts

Worked up to a top set, had a couple extra reps in tank but feel like this is as close as I want to get to failure with this exercise so putting it in my starting numbers.

Last edited:
Wed 28 04 21

Dead hang / Goblet squat / Band dislocates

14,14,12,10,8 Push ups with BW - 58 reps
10,10,8,6,4 Band assisted pull ups - 38 reps
5 sets of KB towel curls/Tri ext superset

Got this all done nice and early in the day. Going to test my max push ups in a couple of days and see where I am at. Then potentially run another few weeks of RFPP might be doable since I tend to only do it 3x a week rather than daily.

Last edited:
Thu 29 04 21

Warmup: Dead hang 30s, Band dislocates 30s, Goblet squat 3x5

10/5 BGBS with the 16 KB
5/5 Ab wheel superset with waiter walks and rack carries
Foam roll

The niggling knee discomfort that I’ve had since the start of this log is still lingering, not painful but knees just aren’t feeling right. Laid off the swings and went for the Bulgarian goat bag swings instead as I had heard Dan John talking about them. Being able to do the movement slowly is good, no ballistic movement until my knees feel better.

Also didn’t Trap DL today, just can’t find the time to get out in the garage. Much to do in the house

Ab wheel and loaded carries were a fun superset. I aim to eventually add in some pressing/snatching so the waiter walks in particular are helpful for keeping my shoulders being used to having weight overhead.

Got some foam rolling in which I want to do a bit more of alongside my yoga/stretching.

My sleep is far from ideal this last week so I’m also toying with reducing the intensity/volume of some sessions to reflect that. I imagine that kind of thing can lead to the niggles I’m feeling.

Last edited:
Fri 30 04 21

Warmup: Dead hang 30s, Goblet squat 30s, Band dislocates 30s

Max test: 20 Push ups with BW
12,10,8,6,4 Band assisted pull ups - 40 reps
5 sets of KB towel curls/tricep extensions

Went for a new max reps for fist push ups and was pleasantly surprised to hit 20 reps. I feel like I pushed this set further than the 12 I did at the start of the month but still a very good increase. My 2021 goal is to be able to do 20 reps for 5 sets so I’m well on my way. Once I hit that I want to focus on some KB pressing and just maintain my push up strength.

Pull ups are getting more difficult, but will persevere with it and hope to see the same progress with these. My plan here is if I stall or hit a wall I’ll switch to BW pull ups.

Arm work is fun, enjoy the towel curls really feel it in both the bicep and forearm.

Last edited:
Sat 01 05 21

Warmup: Dead Hang 30s, Goblet Squat 2x5

10 reps Goblet squat with the 24 KB
10/4 Swings with the 24 KB

Only enough time for a very quick 5-10 min session.

Mon 03 05 21

Dead hang, Goblet squat, Band dislocate 30s each
15,12,9,6,3 Push ups with BW - 45 reps
2 sets each side of waiter walks

Another short session. Have moved to RFPP increasing by 3 reps for push ups will see how this goes. Started off quite easy yesterday but will quickly get tough I assume!

Last edited:
Tue 04 05 21

Warmup: Dead hang 30s, Goblet squat 30s, Haloes 5/2
10/5 Magic drill with the 16 KB
10/2 RDL with the 24 KB

Bit of shoulder pain which I think is from the way I’ve been holding the baby. Really takes its toll on the body especially when doing it on very little sleep!

Wed 05 05 21

Warmup: Dead hang 30s, Goblet squat 30s, Haloes 3x5 each side

12,10,8.6,6 Band assisted pull ups - 42 reps
6 sets of KB towel curls
Yoga

Thu 06 05 21

Warmup: Dead hang 30s, goblet squat 30s, cat/cow 30s, band dislocates

15,12,9,6,6 Push ups with BW - 48 reps
3 sets each side of waiter walks to rack carries

Fri 07 04 21

Warmup: Dead hang, goblet squat, band dislocate, cat/cow

10,10,10,10,10/2 Rows with the 16 KB - 50 reps each side
5 sets of KB towel curl / Tri x superset
Lax ball

Re thinking having pull ups as a main movement now since days like today getting out the garage 5+ times isn’t possible. Instead I might just do it GTG style spread over the week whenever I can get out there.

Last edited:
Tue 11 05 21

15,12,9,9,6 Push ups with BW -51 reps
3 sets of KB press, KB carries
Yoga

Eventually added in the KB press, went for a "max" (was after my push ups so likely a little lower) and got 10 reps per arm. Enjoying the KB carries, really feel them in my core in a good way.

I'm trying to pare down my mobility after training as it's getting overwhelming. I now have 7 yoga poses, 3 spots to roll with the foam roller and 6 spots to roll with the lax ball. Obviously more variety the merrier for mobility, but I want to drill down my focus onto these.

Last edited:
Wed 12 05 21

15,15,15,12,9/2 1 arm rows with the 16 KB - 66 reps each side
3 sets KB tri x and KB curls
Some pull ups
Lax ball

The baby isn't sleeping great and is becoming more fussy, so my time I want to spend in the garage is dramatically reducing. I now just head in for 1 set of either hangs/assisted pull ups throughout every day so I'm not going to be precious and measure the reps/sets that I do and instead I'll just do some pull ups as often as I can each day.

On the upside, I've found a nice groove for 1 arm KB rows so they will now be my main focus on my pull day.

Last edited:
Thu 13 05 21

10,10,10,10,10 goblet squats with the 24 KB
3 sets of KB hinge, ab wheel, clamshells
Some pull ups
Foam roll

Another movement to go is the trap bar deadlift, which also resides in the garage. I was playing with a few types of hinge today, and I feel like I'm enjoying the KB band RDL the most so will focus on that.

As I mentioned in the last post, I'm doing some pull ups most days now whenever I can.

Last edited:
Fri 14 05 21

15,12,12,12,12 push ups with BW - 63 reps
3 sets of KB press, KB carries
Some pull ups
Yoga

Push ups felt very good today, hence increasing more than just the last set (going from 51 total reps to 63 total reps). Once I hit my goal of 5 sets of 15 I'm going to focus on the KB press and keep the push ups as a secondary movement. Feel like I'll build more pressing strength by increasing strength on the KB press instead of trying to get >15 reps per set of push ups.

Enjoy the KB carries also, good opportunity to practice some other movements (i.e. I snatch the weight up for waiter's walk, I clean the weight up for rack carry) if I ever bring them in in the future.

Bit behind here.

Sat, Sun, Mon I had some brisk walks and some pull ups.

Tue 18 05 21
Dead hang, goblet squat
KB press - 5..1 ladders with the 16, some push presses with the 24.
Upper body circuit: push ups, curl, tri x
Some pull ups
Yoga

Wed 19 05 21
Dead hang, goblet swuat
KB swing 10/5 with the 24
Lower body circuit: Carries, ab wheel, clam shell
Some pull ups
Foam rolling and lax ball

Thu 20 05 21
Dead hang, goblet squat, band dislocate, cat/cow
KB press 5..1 ladders with the 16 and some push presses with the 24
Upper body circuit
Some pull ups, including BW x 3 which is a new PR.
Yoga

Finding my 4 work days are easiest to fit in some lifting so while this is the case I’m doing an upper lower split so I hit my main movements 2x a week. It essentially boils down to:

Upper
Compound push
Upper body circuit

Lower
Compound hinge
Lower body circuit

Daily
Hang follows by Pull ups
Band dislocates followed by some pull aparts
Cat/cow with some OS nodding/rocking worked in

At the moment I’m doing KB press for my compound push and still working out my favourite compound hinge movement. Then any other movements I want to hit I do circuit style after the main movement for a few sets.

Last edited:
Fri 21 05 21

Dead hang, goblet squat, band dislocate, cat/cow
KB RDL 24+16kg x 5 hard sets
Circuit x3: Goblet squat, KB carries, ab wheel, clamshells, calf raises

The offset RDLs didnt feel too bad, think I'll stick with them as my hinge movement. Eventually moving to dbl 24. Didn't count reps and don't know if I ever will. Strength focus for me at the moment is entirely on the KB press/pull ups.

Also started adding some OS resets into my training; during cat/cow I do some breathing/nodding/rocking and for my carries I incorporate marching on the spot.

Sat 22 05 21

Dead hang
Some pull ups and push ups
Walk

Baby got colic. Life got hectic. Back at it this week.

Very interested in learning and using the C&P a la The GIANT program. So going to have more focus on those movements going forward. Also seems more manageable to just do a few sets of that to be able to hit upper and lower body even on hectic days. So my focus is pressing on “Upper” day and clean on “Lower” day.

Wed 02 06 21

Warmup: Dead hang, band dislocates.

KB press: 5/3/2 ladders with 16kg, push press/waiter walk with the 24kg. 3 messy push presses per side.
Upper body circuit: KB towel curl, push ups, KB row, KB tri x
Some pull ups

Cooldown: Yoga

Did train on Thurs and Fri as well but doing so without any sets/reps programmed. Enjoying training in this fashion, and making PRs and getting noticeably bigger and stronger too since starting out so going to continue for now until I feel motivated to add some more definite reps/sets back in.

Thu 03 06 21
Trap DL (optional shrugs/farmer's walk)
KB squat, Ab wheel

Fri 04 06 21
KB press (optional push press/waiter's walk)
Push ups, KB curl

Sun 06 06 21
Today I did a couple exercises to failure with one warm up set to see where I'm at:
KB press I got 15+15 with the 16kg,
Pull ups I hit 4 reps.

Last edited:
Tue 08 06 21
Band dislocates, Clamshells, Hang, Cat/cow
KB press: Some singles and a double with 24 (PR) and more sets with 16
Push ups, Pull ups, KB curl
Yoga

Since last posting I've been more or less doing the same, training 2-4 times a week and just playing with movements instead of anything prescribed. Work/life "stress" (thoroughly enjoying both work and life, but they are busy) means I need to just enjoy my training, which I'm finding I do through not really programming at all at the moment.

New PRs:
KB Press single 24 x 3
KB Press offset double 24 + 16 x 5 (not sure why but I find this easier than the single?)
KB Press double 24 x 1

Looking forwards to getting that double 24 single up in the rest of the year. My aim is 10 reps but I feel like may be a bit lofty.

Pull ups BW x 4, however have since had a bit of a drop off from that after a week or 2 of not being able to get out to the pull up bar more than 1-2x.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom