all posts post new thread

Dad's fighting program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello!
I'm totally new to training logs. if I understand it correctly, it's like a training journal that other people can comment/give advice on? If so, here I go:
About me:
6'3, 230lbs, 41 years old, 4 kids, full-time job (summers off). Decent shape but a little flabby. I love beer and eating. I train boxing and Muay Thai. I'd like to compete someday but the stars need to align in order for that to happen so we'll see. I've had success with S+S (timeless simple) and Dan John's ABC, but I am susceptible to overtraining (or underecovering) and typically end up injuring myself with minor, nagging injuries that set me back. I train 1 night a week in Muay Thai and 1 in boxing (both at a MMA gym with lots of pro and amatuer fighters). Both sessions are an hour long, at night, and range from hard drilling to sparring. They are generally pretty intense and require smart supplimenting and recovering. After reading "Strength Shortcuts" by Geoffrey Neupert, I've come up with this program.

Goal:
Right now, I'm "park bench" training: I want to use kettlebells to build general strength and resilaince for my training. I want to get at least a full year of consistent training and sparring in without getting hurt, so my goal is to simply stay consisntent and make progress (in the gym and with weight) without buring out or overtraining. All my hard sessions are a night/evening. I'm doing "strength shortcut" style kettlebell workouts in order to be able to make progress and recover.

Eventually, I hope to evolve this into a bus bench program with more specific weight goals. Here is is:

• Monday:
    • AM TGU X 4 (weightless)
    • PM Muay Thai
  • Tuesday:
    • AM hanging
    • PM *armor building x 5 E2MO2M (double 20k)
  • Wednesday:
    • AM rest
    • PM TGU X 6 sets (16/24k)
  • Thursday:
    • AM rest
    • PM boxing
  • Friday:
    • AM hanging
  • Saturday:
    • Bagwork (medium/light, technique focused)
  • Sunday:
    • armor building x 5 E2MO2M (double 20k)
*armor building will be Dan John's ABC: double kettlebell clean x 2, press x 1, front squat x 3
**AM workouts are at 5:30.

Boxing class today. Heavy bag. Lots of power + conditioning. Not exhausted like sparring.

Three minute hanging circuit this morning. Shoulders feel good. Looking forward to an easy day for recovery. We'll see how the bagwork feels tomorrow.

I decided to do armor building on Saturdays, instead of bagwork (now done on Sundays). This way, I can do some heavy stuff on Saturday and use my light bagwork as a sort of active recovery, and be fresher and sharper for Muay Thai on Monday night.

ABC structure
E2MO2M x 7 (first two are warm up)
double kb: 2 clean, 1 press, 3 front squat

double 12k
double 16k (push press)
double 20k (push press)
double 20k (push press)
double 20k (push press)
double 20k (push press)
100lb sandbag (push press)

We'll see how I feel tomorrow!

Angry shoulders this morning, so I’m doing my traditional shoulder therapy instead of bag work: double KB cleans only, x 2, EMOM, 15 sets. There’s something about holding the key be in the rack position that feels good. This will replace my armor building for the next month. The presses and front squats are irritating my shoulders. I might throw a sandbag press in front squat in occasionally, because that seems to irritate them less.

NO KB PRESSES OR FRONT SQUATS FOR 1 MONTH.

my clean session today:
12k x 2
16k x 2
20k x 5
24k x 6

Monday AM: weightless TGU X 4 sets (I held a 5lb dumbbell on the last 2 just to stimulate my grip/arm/shoulder a little). Also a short hang. Really hoping to help my shoulders out right now.

Muay Thai last night. Medium impact. Mostly drills, no sparring. Feel good this morning. I did my 3 minute hang session. Will monitor shoulder for tonight.

Last edited:
PM workout:
Double KB cleans, EMOM
12k x 3 x 2 sets
16k x 3 x 2 sets
20k x 3 x 2 sets
24k x 3 x 4 sets
100lb sandbag ABC (2 cleans, 1 press, 3 squats) x 2 - For some reason, the sandbag press seems to not irritate my shoulder.

On Saturday, I'll probably cut out the 12k completely and add one more set with the sandbag.

My knee is bothering me this morning. Probably from sandbag squats. I will cut those out and start on an easy diet of air squats twice a week, maybe 5-10 x 5 spread out over a whole day to keep it easy. Shoulder is a bit sore, probably no TGU today.

Shoulder feels great this morning after what was basically a complete day off. I need more of those and I think my program is too complicated. Though I love TGU's, maybe I need to cycle them in and out of my programming. Considering most of my injuries are nagging, overuse injuries, and I seem to benefit more from days off, I am reducing the number of kettlebell exercises that I am doing to 1 per month, so for the next month, I am doing double KB cleans only. After that, I'll only do TGU's for a month (still doing the Muay Thai, boxing, and heavy bag work). Here's my 2.0 modification:

• September 20 -October 25
  • Monday: Muay Thai
  • Tuesday: Armor building double clean x ***3 only *EMOM x 10, x 2-3 C+P with sandbag
  • Wednesday: Rest
  • Thursday: boxing
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Armor building double clean x3 EMOM x 10, 2-3 C+P with sandbag
  • Sunday: bagwork
*start with 16k bells and move up every 1 or 2 sets for warm up. Finish with 24k.
***progress in number of reps

I am also doing 3x5 bodyweight squats for mobility every morning, and I do flexible steel mobility sequences (bodyweight only) throughout the day.

Thursday night boxing. Sparring. Many rounds. Felt good. I will note how the shoulder feels throughout the day today.

Side note: I took Aleve the last two nights before bed and it has really helped my shoulder. I'm not a huge fan of taking medication for an injury, but this works, so hopefully I can reduce the pain while addressing the issue with better movement and programming.

This morning:
Double KB cleans x 3, EMOM
16k x 2
20k x 2
24k x 6
sandbag clean and press x 1 EMOM
5 sets

15 minute workout, feels great, shoulder feels pretty good.

No bagwork today, as it ended up being a sort of “test day” for a dad program: today at our Croatian picnic, I competed in the rock toss, got second place, then competed in the tug-of-war with my three boys, (8,8,7) against the guy who won the rock toss and his family. We won the tug-of-war, which felt like what I imagine heavy deadlifts to failure for one set probably feels like. I was totally smoked, but it was pretty awesome to win with my boys. My soreness will be a good indicator of my conditioning tomorrow.

Muay Thai training today was not particularly hard, except for lots of burpees. So I’ll rest tomorrow and do my armor building on Wednesday instead of tomorrow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom