all posts post new thread

Old Forum Deadlift 5 x 5

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

brian d

Level 5 Valued Member
I am currently doing a workout very similar to this one Pavel wrote up: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/12/18/pavel-8020-powerlifting-and-how-to-add-110-pounds-to-your-lifts/

I have only spent time goblet squatting and double kettlebell front squatting, so using the bar is fun and I'm enjoying getting more proficient with squats.

The once a week deadlifts are super tough, though.  I do some lighter warmup sets and then get to work on the main work sets.  It has been a few weeks with this program and I have not missed a lift yet (or really come close to it), but the workout really drains me.

If it helps, these are the numbers I've been working off.  Deadlift max from last Feb was 345 (pretty sure I can beat that now).  Did 5 x 5 with 265 one week and then 275 and now two weeks at 295. I'm fairly certain I could hit 305 or 315 for 5 x 5 if I went up, but I feel like it would take a monstrous toll on my body.

I'm curious what other people's experiences are with deadlifting 5 x 5.  Do you like to keep the weights a little lighter and let the volume do the work?  Or do you switch from straight across sets and add weight to get to a single, tough set of 5? Or other fun options?

Since I know it will be the first question someone asks, my goals are to keep getting proficient with the deadlift and gain some size.  At the moment, strength is after those, though I do plan on working up to a new max early next year.  Also, the routine linked above is based on powerlifting, but I'm not a powerlifter.  I'm just lifting for life because it feels good and I like it.

I cycled it as written in Deadlift Dynamite.

Warmup, 5 x135, 5 x 225, 5 x 5 x 265.  Alternating the over/under grip each time.  I deadlifted 2x a week and moved the weight up 10 lbs. each week.  The 6th week, I did 315.  Seventh week, dropped the weight back to 275 and started the wave again.

I never repped out the last set.  One day at 315, I wasn't feeling it and did just 5 sets x 3.

Starting light and getting the reps set you up for success as well as confidence.  If you can get all 5 reps x 295 move up.  I would try a set of 3 x 305 just to get the groove down.  The first rep is always the toughest, make sure to take the slack out of the bar before the first rep.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Brian.  It was very helpful, and definitely gave me the confidence to keep going.  I went ahead with the 305 yesterday, and it went pretty well.  I only did 4 on the last couple sets as I didn't feel great.  I think this might have had more to do with working out in the morning (as opposed to the late afternoon like I usually do) than it did with the increase in weight.

It was also nice to read about you taking an easier day if you felt you needed it and starting the wave back over after making some good gains.  I have not read Deadlift Dynamite, but it sounds like it would be a good resource.

Oh, and now the evening after the deadlifts, I feel pretty well used, but maybe not as bad as other weeks.  So perhaps I'm continuing to adapt to the demands of 5 x 5 deadlifts.

Hope you had a nice holiday.

Brian

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom