all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
I like to know what you guys think. These are my first videos I ever uploaded. Here is my deadlift, 2x5x205lbs

Set 1:

Set 2:

Thank you.

Hi Abdul,
your back looks safe. A thing that strikes me, and could be improved in my opinion is the following: when you go down to grab the bar, you are in a perfect starting position. tibia perpendicular, shoulders above the bar. Then you make a deliberate effort, to lower the hips, which brings your knees a bit forward, your shoulders behind the bar. Then, when commencing the lift, your hips first go up (because the knees extend), your tibia get perpendicular again and your shoulders come forward as soon as possible. Your body auto corrects its alignement of leverage.
I am keen, what others have to say.

Biggest thing I notice (overlapping what Harald posted, which I see as I am writing this) is that your knees and hips are out of sync.

You are lifting in two stages. You start by straightening your knees and raising your hips, but your hips don't extend and your shoulders don't come up. So in the middle of the lift, you have extended legs, but flexed hips. Then, in the second stage, you extend your hips and bring your shoulders up.

Your back position looks safe at this weight, but lifting like this will severely limit your leverage and put a lot of stress on your back with more challenging weights.

Ideally, your knees and hips and hips should extend together.

@Harald Motz , @Steve W. I knew I had form issues and thanks for your inputs. Upon watching the video in slow motion, after your comments, easily, I saw what you are talking about. I am glad I video recorded. I would not have seen these. This is gold. Thanks a lot.

I know my dead lift was better than this before, something I read somewhere (use legs to lift, then hip snap or something similar) messed me up. So I was trying to focus on legs first, then hip snap second in my mine. I think I can do what @Steve W. is suggesting, I get it, I will post a video a soon.

@Harald Motz , @Steve W. I knew I had form issues and thanks for your inputs. Upon watching the video in slow motion, after your comments, easily, I saw what you are talking about. I am glad I video recorded. I would not have seen these. This is gold. Thanks a lot.

I know my dead lift was better than this before, something I read somewhere (use legs to lift, then hip snap or something similar) messed me up. So I was trying to focus on legs first, then hip snap second in my mine. I think I can do what @Steve W. is suggesting, I get it, I will post a video a soon.

There are different styles of deadlifting, not just sumo vs. conventional, but also in the rhythm and emphasis of legs, hips and back, bar path, position of shoulders relative to the bar, etc.

With a heavy weight, for almost everyone, the knees will extend faster than the hips, and you have to finish the lift by driving the hips through. But, IMO, it's not something to do purposely or try to exaggerate. If the knees extend too far too early (hips rising faster than shoulders) it compromises your leverage and balance, and makes it harder to keep a good back position.

I use a low hip start position. I use the cue "the first pull is a push", where you push the floor away, the torso angle does not change until the shins are vertical, and aggressively pull the hips through. Partly because of my Olympic weightlifting background, flexibility, and lever lengths.

When I push the floor away, that loads the hamstrings like a spring. The energy of the push is stored for the pull.

@Abdul Rasheed It looks like you breath out fully at the top. I prefer to stay pressurized throughout the rep. If you lose to much pressure, with maximal, and sub-maximal weights, you could fold forward, and put your spine in a vulnerable position.

@Steve W. Yeah I was deliberately doing something different during those sets recorded, it is amazing you guys caught that! I shall aim for balance and rhythm next time, will post a video.

@Geoff Chafe Thank you , Yeah I do (try to) use the cue of 'pushing the floor' away, but it may not crisp enough, and readily apparent and I may have work to do there.
As for the breathing, I was taught it is okay to take a breath at the top, perhaps because my weights aren't heavy enough yet.

I taped today, I still have the knee, hip sync issue.

@Harald Motz

1. "..then you make a deliberate effort, to lower the hips, which brings your knees a bit forward..." <- It seems like i am bring down my hip to 'open up my chest' still as part of my set up?

2. "your hips first go up (because the knees extend), your tibia get perpendicular again and your shoulders come forward as soon as possible. Your body auto corrects its alignement of leverage." <- is the same thing what Steve mentioned? the knee/hips sync issue?

when you go down to grab the bar, you are in a perfect starting position. tibia perpendicular, shoulders above the bar. Then you make a deliberate effort, to lower the hips, which brings your knees a bit forward, your shoulders behind the bar. Then, when commencing the lift, your hips first go up (because the knees extend), your tibia get perpendicular again and your shoulders come forward as soon as possible. Your body auto corrects its alignment of leverage.
@Harald Motz, this is a good reason to do touch-and-go deadlifts at least some of the time in one's deadlift training. As we know from reading PTTP and elsewhere, lowering the bar slowly can be risky it one's technique is less than solid or if the weight is very heavy, so this isn't for everyone, but for those who can do it safely, the reps in a set _after_ the first will almost always show a perfect starting position. We are, effectively, giving to the deadlift what it doesn't have, which is a loaded negative.

Ideally, one learns to do touch-and-go deadlifts, then one learns to slow down near the bottom so that the touch is very light on the floor, and eventually one learns to transfer this skill into a real, dead-start deadlift.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom