all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift form critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

richardc-s

First Post
Hello all, I'm after a bit of advice if possible. Below is a video of my recent deadlift PR...

240kg/529lbs using a belt and straps.

Are there any technique flaws anyone can spot from this video?

For background info I currently weigh 108kg/238lbs and I'm 5ft11. My max squat is 210kg/462lbs. I'm ultimately looking to increase my 1RM and would like to potentially compete in a few strongman events next year :D

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Very nice...I would only add to first investigate spending a little more time in the setup, trying to increase tension.

....and welcome to the Strongfirst forum!

Carl in Dover

I have no advice, but wanted to offer my admiration! Congratulations on a mighty deadlift!

Thank you! It's getting there :)

Very nice...I would only add to first investigate spending a little more time in the setup, trying to increase tension.

....and welcome to the Strongfirst forum!

Carl in Dover

Thanks Carl.

To be honest I have never really thought about increasing body tension, I'll have to look into a few setup techniques and see if it helps.

I have never done a strength building plan, always just done general gym 'bro' sessions. I'm hoping by tweaking my squat and deadlift technique, along with jumping on a proper strength plan (maybe 5/3/1?) I can make some decent gains in strength.

Hello all, I'm after a bit of advice if possible. Below is a video of my recent deadlift PR...

240kg/529lbs using a belt and straps.

Are there any technique flaws anyone can spot from this video?

For background info I currently weigh 108kg/238lbs and I'm 5ft11. My max squat is 210kg/462lbs. I'm ultimately looking to increase my 1RM and would like to potentially compete in a few strongman events next year :D

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Very nice lift! Looked solid indeed! But since we're all trying to improve the little things all the time, the only thing I really noticed is some horizontal movement of the bar in the initially pull. Like others said, being tight in the set-up and locking those lats in. It may also be a lack of flexibility somewhere like the ankles. But overall, very solid and max effort lifts (assuming this is a new max for you) are hardly ever perfect reps.

@richardc-s ....If you have some time, read all the posts on deadlift on this forum that you can. There are some pretty smart folks on here with great advice, and you'll pick up some good tips I'm sure. There are also several great articles if you look around the site.
Don't forget that you can also find a SFL certified coach to help out!

Carl in Dover

You’re rushing the setup a bit. The bar is far forward of your mid-foot base of support, so your knees are “reaching” for the bar. As it leaves the floor, your knees retreat from the bar, temporarily leaving it swinging in space. Set up with the bar over the middle of your foot and your knees will be where they’re supposed to be, as will your hips. This will leave you in the correct pulling position with nothing lett to do but extend your back until it’s flat and rigid. You’re pulling with a very flexed spine. Think about raising your chest without dropping your hips, take a big breath and hold it, then drag the bar up your shins to lockout. Do not exhale, as air is pneumatic support for your spine. Take your time with the above and your pulls will become shorter-feeling and much more consistent. Lose the straps at least for your warmup sets. Learn the hook grip.

Great work so far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom