all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift grip weak point

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
Grip seems to be a weak link in my deadlift. Doing work sets, I can keep the bar deep in my palms, no problem. But when getting into 1,2RM territory, it starts to slide down into my fingers on the way up.

Any favorite drills for improving grip strength in the deep palm?

FWIW, I only do conventional, double overhand. Current PR is 405#.

I think at a certain point you'll be hard pressed to NOT be limited by your grip on your DOH deadlift. If you're at 405 lbs then you are probably approaching that limit. If you want to keep the grip symmetrical then you'll need to consider straps or learning to hook grip. Of course, many people end up using a mixed grip, which is something to consider.

There are tons of "general" grip exercises out there, but as for things I have found have a high carry over to grip strength on the deadlift:

1) Romanian deadlifts out of a rack, done in "bodybuilding" rep ranges such as sets of 10. Use a controlled tempo and have a slight pause at the bottom of each rep (don't let the plates touch the floor).

2) One arm rows with a dumbbell or kettlebell, typically done with one knee on the bench. Once you have the hang of it these can be loaded pretty heavy and keep the grip under tension for an extended period. Usually we do sets of 10-15 reps per arm.

Hope that helps

Why do you want to have the bar deep in the palms?

Ed Coan has an assistance exercise for deadlift grip. Set up a rack or blocks so that you have to lift the bar only an inch or so. Grip it with one hand on your side and hold for time. If possible, have a training partner or two help so that the bar doesn't start spinning.

A simple recommendation - lengthen your time in the lockout position during your regular workouts. Pull, get to lockout, and hang out there for a bit on, to start, the last rep of every set, and eventually on all your reps if you can manage it. Time with a heavy bar in your hands is the key to this, IMHO.

-S-

Why do you want to have the bar deep in the palms?

Advice I got on this forum, as I recall... some of my initial learning I had it shallow in the palms, I think partly due to some mobility limitations. After trying it deeper, I liked the feel.

Where do you hold?

Ed Coan has an assistance exercise for deadlift grip. Set up a rack or blocks so that you have to lift the bar only an inch or so. Grip it with one hand on your side and hold for time. If possible, have a training partner or two help so that the bar doesn't start spinning.

That one sounds brutal.

Advice I got on this forum, as I recall... some of my initial learning I had it shallow in the palms, I think partly due to some mobility limitations. After trying it deeper, I liked the feel.

Where do you hold?

That one sounds brutal.

When the weight gets heavy enough, the bar will roll to the lowest possible strong point, and as it's moving, it may well move past it. I prefer to start with the bar there in the beginning. So not at the knuckles, but near the next joint. Like with kettlebell ballistics. @offwidth made a nice observation about it being a bit like primates hanging from a tree, or something like that.

When the weight gets heavy enough, the bar will roll to the lowest possible strong point, and as it's moving, it may well move past it. I prefer to start with the bar there in the beginning. So not at the knuckles, but near the next joint. Like with kettlebell ballistics. @offwidth made a nice observation about it being a bit like primates hanging from a tree, or something like that.

Yeah, that's definitely where I end up when it slides - right where the kettlebell would sit. Grip does get a lot stronger there - I notice the same in hanging from a bar.

Interesting philosophy, just accept that it's going to end up there and start there to begin with. I'm curious how other folks approach the grip.

it will catch up eventually. you could always try a hook grip
also, just use straps once your grip fails. but still grip the bar as tight as you can. i personally don't think losing working sets is worth a little bit of lost grip work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom